Friday, December 31, 2021

Golden Good-bye: Jest in Peace, Rose

I called my sister earlier today, and the first thing she said was, "Are you calling about Betty White?"

"No," I said, "I just wanted to see how you were."  Then, more, hesitantly, "Why?  Did she die?"

And my sister said she had, just weeks shy of her hundredth birthday.

I don't have to tell you that Betty White is a national treasure.  Or that I'm a huge fan and have posted about her many times over the years.  So hearing that she'd passed was strange, even though I sort of expected it.  There was so much hoopla about her upcoming milestone birthday that I couldn't help but think, isn't that tempting fate?  What if . . . 

She wasn't sick.  And I imagine -- and very much hope -- that she went peacefully.  But ninety-nine is very old, and I don't think it's too much to ask that someone that age not keep going.  Betty had a beautiful life, beloved by people of all ages, and she brought the world so much laughter.  So I've decided to focus on that.       

Good-bye, Betty.  May you enjoy many a cheesecake -- and hot dog -- in heaven.

9 comments:

Królowa Karo said...

This is sad news, but she had a beautiful and long life!

ellie said...

Oh, it was so sad to hear. Thanks for your tribute. She definitely had such perfect timing. Her humor spoke volumes and I am certain any actor who worked with her learned something about life. I know, I kept waiting to hear more, to see more about what had happened. Thanks so much for the post!

I hope you have a good start of the new year. Waiting for a snowstorm here. I just imagined it would be here by now from all the forecast. We have already had freezing fog.

All the best. Stay creative!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

That must have been the strangest phone call between you two. I was shocked too. I try to remember her quotes where she said it was best to keep busy. She did love her animals too. And of course, that smile...just got better with age.

It's 2022 and it feels like a very sad Sunday. But here's to a new year ahead. Here is hoping it's better!

Ivy's Closet said...

With everything else going on..the news about Betty was so unexpected. I kept thinking, maybe it's just a rumor because I see those sometimes with other actors.

Thanks so much for your tribute. And your wonderful words..oh cheesecake and a hot dog...that made me smile.

Here's to 2022! May the good be abundant this year.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Betty White was a remarkable actress and person. She had so much spunk, joy, talent, and love of life. I still love watching re-runs to The Golden Girls! She will be missed but not forgotten.

Nice post.. Happy New Year

all types recepies and desert said...

Very nice

Samantha said...

What a beautiful tribute post to Betty White. ❤️ The fact that she made it to 99 years old and was not sick, but presumably died peacefully in her sleep as you mentioned, is fortunate for her!! She definitely brought many laughs and smiles; she was my favorite on Golden Girls. I love your ornament of her and the other Golden Girls items on your shelf; indeed, let's hope she is enjoying some cheesecake and hot dogs in heaven! :)

bread&salt said...

It was so sad to hear that. Golden girls film series was so popular to here.

Jewel Divas Style said...

It's kind of sad that she didn't make it to 100.