Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Thriller Chiller: Don't Take That Tone With Me


Remember that episode of Friends when Joey's reading Little Women and Beth gets sick and Joey gets scared and has to put the book in the freezer?  Well, that's what I had to do with Lucy Foley's The Guest List.  Not that I really wedged it between a DiGiorno and a mess hall-sized bag of broccoli.  But I did stop reading it a third of the way in, much to the consternation of my book club besties.  (Hi, Mom!  Hi, Sis!)  Why?  Because its tone made me nervous.  

Now, I've read more than my share of murder mysteries.  But they're always either dignified and distant, like Agatha Christie, or hilarious and homespun, like all those cozies, that I barely notice anyone's bit the big one.  In other words, their tone is lighthearted.  You know.  Sunny.  Funny.  And sometimes accompanied by recipes.  And that little light is all that I need to go on to find out whodunit.  Yet a story that's shadowed through and through, with characters as damaged as their murky dismal surroundings (even my "serious" descriptions are "silly," Rainbow Brite's Murky Dismal being as cartoonish a villain as they come), plunges me into an abyss of black-out blinds.  And for a spirited sunseeker such as myself, that's a bad place to be.  

That said, my mom and sister weren't really surprised that I dropped Ms. Foley like a bad habit.  They know I don't do well with darkness and were very understanding.  Being in a book club is funny like that, even with -- especially with -- people you know really well.  The titles we choose say a lot about us and what we want and need from books.

And I know what I'll need when it's my turn to pick is something with a colorful cover. 

7 comments:

camdandusler said...

Thanks for your sharing:)

ellie said...

Oh, I couldn't get into this one either. I did manage the Paris Apartment and I didn't like it, either. All the best to the book you choose for the book club. THE MAID seems to something everyone is choosing at our book clubs as of late at the library. ( ̄y▽ ̄)╭ Ohohoho.....we are bracing ourselves for a snowstorm..at the moment. I will not be staying late at the library today, but I did manage crocheting a pink scarf for the occasion! All the best to the book club. So glad you guys are doing this!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

I felt the Hunting Party had a lot more character. Although, I got stuck on that one too. So glad to read your review!❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️ Hope your January is going well. Thanks for your comments. I am trying to balance out the characters (old & new). Thanks again for your inspiration and more!

Ivy's Closet said...

This author can be troubling. Although, I think I like her earlier work better than her later work. I guess what is worse when I wan to take those characters and turn it into a rom com, perhaps. Thanks so much for this review. All the best to finding that colorful cover too! And I just might write more about my Girfriend Tales couple too!

Better Left Unsaid said...

It was good to read what you said about Foley. I can understand completely! All the best to finding those cozy reads this winter. Here's to finding that book for your book club too!

The Book Group said...

Oh, this was good. It made me smile. Yes, I needed this on hump day. I hope you guys have a great discussion too. Just what do you guys do at these things? Our Children's lib. who has a group always ends up a wine bar so they seldom ever talk about the book. For me, I'd rather sit around the dining table with coffee, tea and fruit.❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ All the best to your book club!

Samantha said...

I agree that sometimes books can be too much and you have to step away from it for a bit, or altogether!! It definitely seems like it's much further away in a different direction than your usual cozy mysteries that are more light-hearted and fun. At least your mom-and-sis book club understood, since they know you so well! Here's looking forward to your next pick with a colorful cover. 💜📚💖