Saturday, May 6, 2023

Cape May Getaway


Sometimes you just have to get away.  At least that's what the husband and I decided when we realized that we hadn't been on a trip, just the two of us, in almost a decade.  We didn't want to go too far away, and we didn't want to go anywhere new in case we didn't like it.  So the husband said,  "What about Cape May?"  Victorian houses, quaint shops, and seafood?  I was there.  I booked us a room at Congress Hall and marked it on our calendar.  




Yet this past Wednesday, when it was time to set off for New Jersey's southernmost point, I began to have second thoughts.  It was cold and rainy, more like March than May.  Still, I swapped out my packed clothes for warmer ones and ordered myself to have fun.  Usually, when I order myself to do stuff, it's dishes and jumping jacks, so my chances for success seemed pretty good.  


When we rolled onto Washington Street, it was raining even harder.  "What do you want to do?" the husband asked.  That, at least, was a no-brainer.  "Cape May Fish Market," I said.  In no time, we were devouring our go-to, butter-drenched seafood rolls: shrimp, lobster, and crab for me, and scallops for him.  It's one of the best things I've ever eaten.  

That lunch set the tone for the next two days.  Being on vacation in the middle of the week, during the off-season, while it rained off and on, seemed like a decadent adventure.   


For once I wore (mostly) comfy clothes, focusing on my favorite color, yellow.  I got a kick out of how I matched Congress Hall.  


We took nature walks, which is the husband's thing, but once upon a time, it was my thing too.  I make jokes about being indoorsy, but even now there's something exciting and fairy-tale-esque about discovering a path in the forest.  And we wouldn't have been able to enjoy it if it were warmer, what with UV rays and mosquitos.  



We climbed the lighthouse.  If I look grim, then it's probably because I got a little weirded out on the deck.  It was very windy, and I was grateful to be back on solid ground.  


We even found not one but two places to spread our photography wings:



And finally, we shopped and ate more seafood!  







My favorite shop was the West End Garage, a trove of vintage and handmade treasures.  I couldn't believe how cool it was, or that in all the times I'd been to Cape May, I'd never been there.  Stall after stall of unusual décor, furniture, clothes, jewelry, and anything else you could imagine wound before us, not unlike those forest paths.  Here's a stall featuring vintage toys.  


I almost went for the set of lemon and orange bobbleheads but instead got a gorgeous brooch made of ribbons and charms (more on that later).  The husband chose something from the same artisan, a bowtie made of red and tan feathers.

So all in all, we had a wonderful time, full of fun and relaxation.  Cape May, we give you two arms up! 
         

6 comments:

camdandusler said...

What a nice places, thanks for your sharing...

ellie said...

Oh, what a wonderful trip in spite of the rain and wind. Love that you got to go in the Lighthouse..but I know I would have been so claustrophobic I probably couldn't go. Such lovely Victoria houses and some great places you went too..with loads of seafood afterward. Go you! Love the butterfly pics too!🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋🦋

Ivy's Closet said...

So great you guys took the plunge. And so many cool places. Adoring your outfits even on those cold wet days. It looks like fun. Especially, vintage toys and of course, finding some homemade treasures too! Such beautiful memories! Thanks so much for the post! Great to hear of May Cape🦋🌈💗🌈🦋 Now I hope you can sleep in the rest of he weekend!

Caitlin&Megan said...

You guys are so bold! & adventurous! Such a beautiful Victorian! You guys must have loved the colors and the unique surroundings of this place. So nice to see those blooming flowers too. You are so pretty in Yellow! The lighthouse must have been an experience too! Great to see these wonderful places! Glad you two got away to enjoy the cape! Thanks so much!

🦋🌈💗💕💗🦋 We had some damp cool days here. Windy ones and now the humidity has finally found us. Yes, that's the way our springs end up.

Samantha said...

Aaaaaaa!!! Cape May looks like a dream! I love your vacation photos you shared, and it looks like you and your husband had a blast (love the butterfly wings photos)! The seafood you mentioned eating sounds divine, and the Victorian houses and interior decoration is jaw-dropping. The color yellow you chose to focus on looks fantastic on you, and it's a great photo-op that you and your husband match Congress Hall in the first photo! Finally, the shop with the vintage items looks like a whimsically fun place. Cheers to a magical getaway! 😎💛📸

Jewel Divas Style said...

I love all the old style of homes Americans have built over the years. I always get a kick out of the US home shows we get here.