Monday, May 29, 2023

Memorial Day: Memory Lane and a Mushroom

Bag: Amazon


Top: Wild Fable, Target; Dress: LC Lauren Conrad, Kohl's

Sunglasses: Wild Fable, Target; Ribbons: Michaels


Shoes: Jessica Simpson Collection DSW


Bouquet: Michaels


I can't believe it's already Memorial Day!  I couldn't think of a better way to kick off this unofficial first weekend of summer than by reading beach book queen Elin Hilderbrand.  Endless Summer is a collection of short stories, extra chapters, and alternate endings to some of Hilderbrand's most beloved novels.  I very much enjoyed this, in Hilderbrand's own words, Choose Your Own Adventure approach to fiction.  I especially liked the extra chapter for Golden Girl, which reveals heroine Vivian Howe's ups and downs at the famed Bread Loaf Writers' Conference.  Her struggles undoubtedly mirror Hilderbrand's own at the Iowa Writers' Workshop, and I loved seeing this glimpse of what it must've been like for one of my favorite authors to become the consummate storyteller we know today.    

Of course, it wouldn't be a holiday without festive fashion too!  For yesterday's family BBQ, I donned last year's never-before-worn, fruit-print LC Lauren Conard dress and my brand-new Jessica Simpson wedges.  The wedges' height was just what I needed to lift the (on me) floor-dusting dress from the ground.  The mushroom bag is an oldie but goody -- although a poppy would've been more appropriate.  Maybe I can find one before next Memorial Day and reenact my holiday hitchhiker pose.

I hope your weekend was filled with things that you love, setting the tone for a sensational summer! 🌞🌈

5 comments:

ellie said...

Such a beautiful dress! Great accessories too! & great J.S. shoes too!

So good to hear about the book. I see it check in from time to time at circ so folks are reading her book (books) at our library.❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️I didn't get up to too much yesterday..and I know today will just feel longer at work too. We did have our ribs..naturally, I ate more than I should have.

Such a lovely post..oh, and I love the MUSHROOM too!

Caitlin&Megan said...

So exciting to see your Memorial day. I love this color of dress! Great the shoes worked too. Sounds like such a festive Memorial day! Love that photo of the cake too! OH, you know how to give that pop of color in your outfits. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ I made cottage cheese ice cream. It has a bit of a tangy flavor to it. Not too sweet either. Homemade ice cream is an art. I don't think I've mastered it yet.πŸ“πŸ“πŸ“πŸ“πŸ“πŸ“All the best to summer! Thanks for your comments. Yes, the ups and downs of summer..maybe that's my theme for June! Thanks for giving us on the insight of Hilderbrand too!

Ivy's Closet said...

Looks like a beautiful first of summer holiday! Oh, such fun with this dress! I do love your finds! And of course your unique bling too! Adoring these photos! You wear it so well!πŸ“❤️πŸ“❤️πŸ“❤️πŸ“❤️ Thank you for the wonderful book review too. I have been tempted to check this one out. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Well, I got two new Barbies yesterday. Nothing too fancy. I got Hairstylist Barbie which took some long research and price wars on Amazon. But I like her pink purple hair. It seems the going rate for even a 2019 Fashionista is trip or so it's original price. Also most of the pink haired Barbies are curves too. It seems "Asian" like Barbies are more expensive too. & since I am down waiting to see if a basic Barbie that I bought ..a while ago for 5 bucks can be fixed. Yes, just when you tell yourself..I am never collecting anything ever again..hahahhahaha...Thanks again for being here! All the best to lots of summer fun!

Samantha said...

Your fabulously fantastic outfit makes me think of a firework!!! And, fittingly, this post is a firework explosion of happiness that makes me super stoked for summer, so thank you! Both your first pose and second "hitchhiker" pose are adorable, as is your mushroom bag. Those wedges are stunning, and the festive chocolate cake looks scrumptious! A good summery read is always a good idea to get this season started, and you definitely set the happy mood for summer ahead! πŸŒžπŸ˜ŽπŸ’

Jewel Divas Style said...

Memorial Day!!!!!

And I'm just commenting now!!!

Yikes!

LOVE the cake! Which I'm assuming that sprinkled chocolate concoction is.