Saturday, May 13, 2023

Forever Fikry


Ah, The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry.  A book for book lovers and lovers of love.  Gabrielle Zevin knew what she was doing when she penned this modern classic.  Because no one who builds his life around books could ever be truly hopeless.  If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then you can hop on over to the book review I wrote nearly five years ago.  Or, you can hang here and go with the flow of my musings.  No wrong answers!

When I heard that The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry was coming out as a movie, I was beyond excited.  But also a little wary.  Because the thing about watching screen adaptations of beloved books is that they sometimes come up short.  It's a gamble, agreeing to let yourself see someone else's interpretation of something that struck such a cord with you.  Then again, I have very little self control.  So you know I was streaming in seconds.  

Fikry is played by Kunal Nayyar, and his love interest, Amelia, is played by Lucy Hale.  Now, I'm going to pause here.  Because anyone who knows this book knows that Zevin describes Fikry's and Amelia's physical appearances as nothing to write home about.  Their plainness is, in fact, in stark contrast with the stunning beauty of Fikry's late wife.  So having two lookers play these lead roles rings just a little untrue.  Not that I minded much, because I love Nayyar and Hale, and both are wonderful in the movie.  

That said, everything else about the movie is just like the book.  The quaint island town, Fikry's initially self-destructive life, the mystery (for yes, there is one), the love letter to books, and the bittersweet charm of tragedy and hope and then tragedy again shaping the lives of these ordinary yet extraordinary people.  It's even funny.  I could go on and on, but you've (probably) read enough of my book and movie reviews to know that poignance is what makes my heart beat.  Which means, of course, lots of tears at the end, but the kind that made me happy I saw it.

Because even though I said tragedy, hope, then tragedy again, I forgot to add that last and all-important hope.  As The Washington Post says on the cover, The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry is "marvelously optimistic."  Not in saying that things will always go well or even stay well.  But in saying that they can be good, even beautiful, for awhile, showing us life's preciousness.

And that's why in both book and movie form, I'm now and forever team Fikry.

5 comments:

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, it looks like my kind of story..I dunno how I have missed this one, but as luck might have it..I have just forgotten about it. I like the urban aspect of it. The movie looks to have a great cast. Thanks so much for the review!πŸ’•πŸ’—πŸŒΈπŸ’•πŸŒΈπŸ’• Thanks for your comments and thanks for reading. I have had fun with the "Rachel Story" and it is always interesting how I feel I am much closer to those I know online that actually in person..these days. And with that always comes the idea of ..or you sure you know these people and just how far would you go..which can lead to it's own mysteries..and the surf shop is just an added plus..(✿◡‿◡) I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day! Just meeting up for an early lunch here at the Mexican Food place that we always go too this time of year. Of course, there was a lot of confusion in a family text. Somehow, somebody thought we were meeting at the upscale Michelian place the day after since somebody has to work the Mother's day brunch. After all the sorting and phone calls we got it straightened out just to learn that place is closed on Mondays. But we are still going to find a local place on Monday so we can really catch up. Here's to Strawberry Short Cake and more πŸ“πŸ“πŸ“πŸ“πŸ“πŸ“

ellie said...

Glad to hear the movie is good. I have to watch this now! Hope you have a beautiful Mother's day! Wishing you lots of sweet memories and photos! & of course, I can't wait to see what you woreπŸ’•πŸ“πŸŒΈπŸ“πŸ’•πŸ“πŸŒΈ

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Such a delightful review! So glad to see it! Thanks so much! Wishing you lots of great times this weekend in May. Such a special day! Here's to good food and sweet timesπŸ“πŸŒΈπŸ“πŸŒΈπŸ“πŸŒΈOh, I seemed to have forgotten Mother's Day and Caitlin & Megan's. Hopefully, it's not too rushed, but I have two stories I wanted to see it through..somehow, before I let it go and everyone forgot about what was happening..well, the later one plays out more in June yet if course stories multiply...

camdandusler said...

Thanks for your sharing:)

Samantha said...

That's great that the movie was just like the book!! Like you mentioned, sometimes the movie doesn't live up to the book, and it's refreshing when it does. "Not in saying that things will always go well or even stay well. But in saying that they can be good, even beautiful, for awhile, showing us life's preciousness." Love that! πŸ’–