Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Lake Break: Second Chance Romance Edition


Carley Fortune's Meet Me at the Lake is a love story as sweet as its cover art's strawberry sky.  Ten years ago, fresh-out-of-college Fern Brookbanks and Will Baxter met and spent one magical day in Toronto.  Will's an overalls-and-pink-shoelaces-wearing artist, and Fern's a thrift shop-enshrouded music snob.  Their random meanderings through parks and bars read like a rain-misted indie flick. They tell each other everything, their chemistry crackling against the clock.  Their bond is electric yet tender, ignited by the kind of jaded innocence that burns only when you're in your early twenties.  So when it ends, it's bittersweet, with Fern and Will planning to meet at Fern's family's resort in a year.  They go their separate ways, but Fern never forgets Will.  On the appointed day, she dons an inside-joke green bathing suit and waits for him on the dock.  But Will never comes.

Now in her early thirties, Fern is back at the lake.  Her charismatic mother has died in a car accident, and she's dealing with her grief as she learns how to run the resort.  Her first love of an ex-boyfriend works there too, making everything even more complicated.  Then a man in a suit checks in, and her world cracks open.  Because it's Will.

The plot goes back and forth between the present and that day in Toronto, which as a fan of flashbacks, I love.  Maybe it's because I'm a reminiscer myself, but I think that glimpses into the past give stories depth.  I enjoyed reading about young Fern and Will so much that I was sometimes disappointed to return to the present!  That said, thirtysomething Fern weathers her own unique emotional landscape, getting to know her mother all over again by reading her diaries.  And when Will arrives, he carries more baggage than his suitcase suggests.  As the two reconnect, they learn how much they've changed -- and how much they haven't.  Because somewhere deep down beneath the years and the pain, they're still those two kids in Toronto.            

So if someone asks you to meet them at the lake, make sure you show up!  

Or don't.  

Great romances sometimes bloom best in trouble.      

4 comments:

ellie said...

Oh, I have not come across this one. Sounds like a true love story, too. Love the book cover! Thanks so much for the hearty review. I definitely hope to find this one. Love your line too!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Thanks for your comments. Sometimes, I feel Chili is one of those with nine lives when I write about her.... Of course, I think the hardest thing is to find away to get ones story out going in the midst of other stories. πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™πŸ’™ Hope you are getting a lot creativity going too. I am trying to crochet dumpling cats. It seems the ears are harder than I thought they would be. On the other hand I have crocheted a few Barbie handbags that I adore.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

This really looks so endearing..and I feel sad for Will already. You really have me wanting to read about these two! Although, I know its hard to get from point A to point B..sometimes.(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)(✿◕‿◕✿) Hopefully, it isn't too much of a whirlwind with Rico and Liv. Oh, and I was looking back on 'Cam' (Caitlin's Dad) He was Kim in the earlier parts..so yeah, I even have trouble keeping up with character's names.

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, a Toronto story too! It does sound like a great history between these two. Always LOVE seeing your reviews. Such a beautiful bookcover too. I like their names, as well. I don't think I have read this author's work. Now someone to look for. Thanks so muchπŸ’•πŸ’—πŸΎπŸ§πŸ§πŸΎπŸ’—πŸ’•We've had some cooler weather, but of course, the heat is on. Also folks just keep coming back to the computer lab that we just can't seem to help. I have met a few interesting people. I am hoping I will know what to do with Rachel and Huck..we, shall see..but then again, I might not. Of course, I feel bad not writing more in some of my other blogs too..so I think I need to tend to that too. Always something.

All the best to the rest of your August!

Samantha said...

The cover art is so strawberry sweet, indeed!! πŸ“πŸ’• And this book sounds fantastic. I too am a fan of flashbacks, and it truly does add a lot of depth to a story. Plus, it's fun to see how things have changed from then and now, and of course, discovering how some things don't entirely change either! Sounds like a dreamy read! πŸ’˜