Thursday, August 31, 2023

What Happens in the Galapagos Stays in the Galapagos

Or does it?  That's the question in Jodi Picoult's Wish You Were Here.  A book, by the way, that I initially wished I weren't reading.  It was my mom's book club pick.  And she's a fan of serious books, so.  Here's the premise:  

Diana O'Toole is a twenty-nine-year-old New Yorker waiting for her surgeon boyfriend Finn to pop the question.  Already the darling of Sotheby's, her career is on track, and she's itching to get on with her meticulously-mapped ten-year-plan.  She craves stability because her famous photographer mother was never around.  Diana and Finn are all set to go on a romantic vacation to the Galapagos when COVID paralyzes the city.  As a front-line worker, Finn has to stay.  But he urges Diana to go.       

As I ventured deeper into Diana's struggles in the ghost town that is the pandemic Galapagos, I wasn't sure how much I could take.  Diana's luggage is lost.  She has no place to stay, almost no money, and doesn't speak the language.  She even narrowly misses eating a poisoned apple before a stranger stops her.  Yet most depressing of all are Finn's emails.  He goes into excruciating detail describing patients on ventilators, his 72-hour shifts, and feeling hopeless.  It's the stuff of nightmares and catapulted me right back to the beginning of the pandemic and all its uncertainties.    

But then the stranger and his family take Diana in.  She begins to relax and appreciate the beauty of the island, even rediscovering her passion for creating art instead of just selling it.  (Not that there isn't heavy stuff still going on; the stranger's daughter self harms.)  Before long, Diana's frenzied life in Manhattan seems like a distant memory, a realization that Picoult illustrates through this simple but telling line:

"Busy is a euphemism for being so focused on what you don't have that you never notice what you do." (172)

So, yeah, like Diana, ahem, adapting to the Galapagos, I was getting used to this book.  

And then something totally unexpected happened, throwing me for a loop.  It made me make the leap from merely tolerating the book to enjoying it.           

And . . . that's where I'll stop.  Except to say this:

Thanks, Mom, for getting me to open my mind to life's sometimes poorly wrapped curveballs and mysteries.  

That said, it's my turn to pick the next book -- and this time we're reading a rom com. 

4 comments:

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, I've often wondered about this book. I know so many love her, but she always has such intense topics that sometimes it puts me off too. I really enjoyed your review. I am definitely sure she takes you through the pandemic and life too. Can't wait to see what you pick for the Book Club (✿◡‿◡)(✿◕‿◕✿) Thanks so much for your comments. Oh, hopefully I will see what happens when Huck goes home with Rachel...it kind of makes me think of an old roommate who used to bring a guy home with her for the summer to New York City. I remember how his hair was so Texas Sun bleached and when he returned in the fall it was such a dingy dark color. Of course, he was happy as could be while my friend was not so much. All the best to a Labor Day Weekend!

Caitlin&Megan said...

Oh, just think what you guys will have to talk about, on this one. I haven't read this author in a while so it was great to see how you feel about her. I don't see as much of her work on HOLD as I used to at the library. It seems these days LUCY SCORE'S books are just flying off the shelf. Although, our director is very picky about what to let be of Score's work.

It sounds like she must be Spot On with the pandemic and everything that came with it.

Here's to a fabulous book pick for your next meet. 🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁 Happy September!

ellie said...

I love the title, but I have never really wanted to read the book because I knew I might have mixed emotions about it. Thanks for the wonderful review. I hope you guys had some insightful conversations over this one with your book club. I can't hardly wait to see what you will pick for the book club! 💗💗💗💗💗💗🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎Happy September!

Samantha said...

Wow, what a plot!! I can definitely see how it would be a heavy book, it being set amongst the uncertainties and darkness of the COVID pandemic. However, what a treat that it threw you a curveball and you ended up really enjoying it! I'm sure the next rom-com pick will be a real refresher. 📚💘