Monday, August 21, 2023

Panhandle Scandal

Vacations mean Mary Kay Andrews.  After all, you may recall that last spring in Cape May I picked up Sunset Beach.  And I enjoyed it so much that during last month's trip to Ocean City, I bought Hello, Summer.  Of course, I didn't get around to reading it until last week.  But then, anywhere you can disappear into a book counts as a vacation -- at least in my book, hehe.   

As with its predecessor, Hello, Summer's deceptively tranquil cover harbors a whodunit.  And although its vibe isn't quite cozy, I found it to be comforting.  Ace reporter Conley Hawkins plays career Russian roulette and loses, landing back at her family's small-town Florida weekly.  She's had enough of The Silver Bay Beacon, as well as her new boss-slash-sister, when she and boy-next-door Sean "Skelly" Kelly stumble upon the body of a congressman.  Investigating the good ol' boy's death becomes Conley's raison d'etre, and soon she's writing for NBC and The Atlanta Journal-Constitution as well as The Beacon.  But Silver Bay has a lot to say about that.  Big sis Grayson wishes Conley would keep her eyes on her own paper, her grandmother is one fainting spell away from the hospital, and Skelly, although supportive, worries that his charms are no match for a hot story.  Will Conley be able to have it all?  Or will she lose it all looking for answers?  

Andrews entertains with intrigue and wit as she helps us find out.       

6 comments:

ellie said...

Oh, it's so great to find out who she's writing for. Yes, it does sound very intriguing indeedπŸ’—πŸ’•πŸ’“well, about a library story..oh, I've got plenty of them! the AC is out at circ. So it's been pretty miserable the last 2 days. I don't know how patrons could even stand it tonight, but we had a few who were busy reading books and newspapers. Even the guy I remember as the Sufjan Stevens patron showed up. I hadn't seen him in ages. His hair is gray now and his daughter is as tall as him. He didn't think he was in the system but he was still there and he said he was going to read the classics now. I gave him a free new card. I just hadn't remembered him having a British accent. I see his girls all the time with their mom. Maybe they are still together because he mentioned "I might have to use my wife's card." ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Thanks for you comments. Oh Boone & Phil and even Cedric and Axton..everyone needs friends..(✿◡‿◡)

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Andrews is popular at our library. She has a way of drawing in the reader. Oh, nothing like having a sister for a boss, too. This does sound like a good read with some mystery. Thanks so much for your review!πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“πŸ’“ Thanks for your comments too. I am trying to pull in characters all around. And I think Abby might be who Andie needs...hopefully.

Ivy's Closet said...

It's always great to find a way to have a vacation at some place without all the traffic and heat. Yes, stay home and read a book. Such an interesting premise..especially a summer read. I am sure you'll be turning to some fall reads soon. Although, the heat is on..especially here. A good time for iced coffee in the morning.

Samantha said...

The tranquil cover definitely doesn't hint at a whodunit plot, that's for sure!! What a cool twist, and I do remember you mentioning this book when you found it on your vacation! How nice that you got around to reading it, and I love what you wrote here: "But then, anywhere you can disappear into a book counts as a vacation -- at least in my book, hehe." So true! πŸ’–

Kinga K. said...

I'm glad you like it :D

ALLIE NYC said...

This sounds like a great summer read, easy breezy but with edge!

Allie of
www.allienyc.com