Monday, July 5, 2010

Movie Moment: Youth in Revolt

The Thursday before last we had an earth-shattering hail storm in South Jersey. I even wrote up a little post about it but decided not to publish it because it sounded too melodramatic (I assure you it was a scary time). Anyhow, that night the bf and I rented Youth in Revolt (my pick). Let me begin by saying, who doesn't love Michael Cera? He always plays the same delightfully nerdy yet witty would-be writer/musician/intellectual, a paradoxically nonconformist soul who's always loath to break the rules. Well, he changes that as the lovesick Nick in Youth in Revolt. Or, rather, his bad-boy, mustachioed French alter-ego Francois does. Yep, this is one of those stories where the main character's subconscious is personified, and it's hilarious. The impetus for such madness is, of course, a girl, Sheeni (a stripper name if I ever heard one), who seems to keep him dangling in the friend zone. Francois even goes as far as to "burn down Berkeley" (his words) for her. After much drama, Nick does get the girl. Is it unrealistic? Heck yes. But in a way, that made it all the more enjoyable.

No comments: