Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A Few Random Notes

You know how they say that a mullet is business in the front, party in the back? Well, my work outfit today was a little like that (sorry no picture; you'll just have to use your imagination :). From the waist down I wore a pinstriped black skirt to my knees, black printed stockings, and black faux alligator pumps. From the waist up I sported a cropped, kelly green and salmon chevron striped cardigan over a white tee, a skinny mustard faux leather belt with a bow tie as a clasp (worn on the side), a salmon, yellow, and orange plastic beaded necklace, a bracelet that looked like it was strung with gumballs, and a frilly, fruity cake ring by Etsy's own Kawaii Cupcake. I told the bf all of this before I left this morning, and he just laughed.

So yesterday I told you that I was reading How I Became A Famous Novelist. I said I was glad to be reading a good book again because they're the only place where anyone can really be honest. Turns out, the book is all about how to get rich and famous by writing a vapid, cheesy and therefore dishonest novel because that's what people want to read. Because if there's one thing people hate, as the protagonist (can't remember his name) says, it's the truth. Nobody wants to read the good books that have something to say, and no writer who wants to be read should attempt to write them. So this book is deep because it's up front about how shallow most people are when it comes to books. And it gets there by giving us this low-life kid who will do whatever it takes to exploit this sad truth. Interesting. This may be one of those books where I agree with the message but not the main character because the character is a symbol of what's going wrong. But then again, it's probably too soon to tell.

No comments: