Monday, December 7, 2009

Book Report: (Some Words About) How I Became A Famous Novelist by Steve Hely



I used to be the kind of person who read at least a novel a week. My reading has sadly dropped off since I began work on The Tote Trove. But during today's lunch break I decided to do something about that and began reading How I Became A Famous Novelist by Steve Hely, which I bought in Central Park during my weekend trip with the bf's sister and step-sister this past fall. So far the main character has explained how his English degree landed him the dubious job of writing kids' college application essays. It's one of those subversive tells-it-like-it-is tales that thumbs its nose at everything. So naturally I'm into it. It's the first really intellectual book I've read since The Time Traveler's Wife, and that was months ago. Reading even just that small bit today made me realize how much I miss good books. Maybe that's because fiction is the only place where anyone can really be honest. Funny how that works.

No comments: