Wednesday, April 22, 2020

America the Beautiful: Let There be Bright





Sweater: Mudd, Kohl's
Necklaces: The Tote Trove (but you knew that)
Bracelets (left to right): Burlington Coat Factory, Cloud Nine, B Fabulous, Target
Ring: PinkBopp

I pledge allegiance to this bag of the United States of accessories.  I think that it's the cat's pajamas of carryalls (sorry, but PJs are my world now), and its spacious skies and purple-in-the-right-light mountains' majesty have got me getting all patriotic.


Psst: This bag is Delia's by Dolls Kill.  Last year, I was so excited when the online retailer resurrected this '90s brand.  What thirtysomething doesn't remember finding the Delia's catalog in the mail after school and rifling through it for the latest in baby tees, stackable lip glosses, and platforms?  Browsing -- and yes, shopping -- the Doll's Kill line is fun and nostalgic.  And unlike in high school, there are no pesky pep rallies, curfews, or frenemies.

Correction; there are always frenemies.  Hopefully these days they don't fly your tampon up the flagpole.

But back to the ride or die Delia's.  Nostalgic or not, there's a danger in rebooting something beloved.  "It's not the same!" the purists will cry, righteously rambling on about how much better things were in their day.  But I prefer Delia's 2.0 to the original, which could sometimes skew toward grunge.  It's girlier and more colorful, just like the fashion in movies.  Oh, parallel universe of make-believe, you never fail to amaze me.  Your larger-than-life brilliance shines a light on even the darkest of demons, transforming them into something cute and bright until they look like the crew from Monsters, Inc.

It's nice that old things can become new again without losing the thing that made them new in the first place.

In other words, Delia's -- and America, too -- you're a grand old bag, you're a high flying bag.

Forever in peace may you rave.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Oh my!!!! I can't express how much I adore this post; first off, your hair in the first photo is AMAZINGLY cute! You positively glow in orange and pink - stunning color combination! I love how you pattern-mixed the stripes with florals and polka dots in the third outfit, too. :) Lastly, I think that is one of my absolute favorite necklaces you have made with the pink fawn and bows!!! (I was happy to spot my ring, too) ;) The bag indeed exudes the purple-mountains'-majesty patriotism. I totally remember Delia's and that is so cool that Dolls Kill is bringing it back!

Jewel Divas Style said...

LOVE the bag!

As an Aussie, never heard of Delia's, and I agree that not everything should be rebooted, but if done properly, sometimes they can be better.

By the way, after seeing your house, and all of your new outfit posts, you're reminding me of Jem and The Holograms. You'd fit right in with those funky threads.