Saturday, May 22, 2021

Mall Crawl Before You Can Catwalk

After a year and two months of buying stuff only online, last weekend I busted out and went shopping IRL.  Three weeks had passed since my second Pfizer shot, and I had a dentist appointment in a few days.  So I thought it was time to mingle with the masses -- and see if I remembered how to drive.  I chose my outfit carefully, settling on a navy sweater with a rainbow stripe in the middle, ripped jeans, navy crushed velvet flats with yellow socks, a quilted red and black shoulder bag, and a side pony tied with a red and white polka dot ribbon.  It turned out to be way too warm -- I was sweating even before I crossed the parking lot! -- but I liked the look, so no regrets.  

My first stop was Macy's.  It was a Sunday, so it was crowded.  I threaded through the racks, careful to avoid fellow shoppers even though they were masked.  I visited my usual haunts, namely juniors, shoes, and costume jewelry, and was disheartened to come up empty.  Everything was picked over, and what was there was lackluster.  So I hotfooted it up to Macy's Backstage, which is the Marshalls clone section.  Fashion-wise, it too was a wasteland, but I did find a cute picture frame, some pastel gnome salt and pepper shakers, and a pink potted faux succulent for my office.  When it was my turn to pay, I slid my finds through the opening in the Plexiglass that separated the clerk and me.  "I like your outfit," the clerk said, "It's very mall girl."  "I'll take it," I answered.  But that's where the good vibes ended.  Because next he asked what brought me to Macy's, and I explained that it was my first outing in a year after getting vaccinated.  "And you chose Macy's?" he asked, incredulous.  "There are far better places!"  I bit back the urge to retort, "I don't think Mr. Macy would agree," and instead gamely uttered, "Don't worry, I'll hit them all," meaning other stores.  But that turned out to be the wrong tack to take.  "You don't have to spend money! You can do anything!" he counseled, wrapping my $20 worth of baubles with the authority of a financial advisor trying to talk his client out of buying a Bentley.  "Now go out and do something fun," he decreed, thrusting the bag at me as if it held dog poo.  Oddly enough, this wasn't the first time I'd been shopping shamed by a clerk.  But it was certainly the most dramatic.  Nothing like dipping your toe back in the pool only to be tossed into the deep end!  

My next and last stop was Kohl's.  I was disappointed that there weren't any exciting clothes there either.  However, I did score two rainbow rhinestone Simply Vera brooches and a faux wicker pineapple picnic server that I now use to store/display beads.  This time the clerk was much kinder, so much so that she erred on the side of anxious.  I felt for her.  I wouldn't want to work in a store during a pandemic, wondering if each and every customer was carrying COVID.   

So, was the expedition a success?  Even before the quarantine, department stores were definitely on the decline.  But being away from them for a year and then seeing them with fresh eyes made me realize that maybe they weren't so great in the first place.  Online, you can find anything in any size, style, or color without having to settle for something just because you could reach out and touch it.  Brick and mortar stores are always there for you, but they don't always have what you want.  They're like that boring banker boyfriend who's punctual and remembers your birthday but whose stories about his coworker stealing his PB&J make you wish you were with a guy who doesn't wear a watch or have let alone manage a bank account.  That said, the best part of the day was, shocker of shockers, the driving -- or, rather, rediscovering the radio (apparently, I like Machine Gun Kelly).  There's just something about being out there on the road with no responsibilities, singing at the top of your lungs.  Another surprise was the, ahem, pedestrian one of walking.  Despite (sort of ) keeping up with my exercises, running in place in my living room just isn't the same as getting out of the house.  Carrie Bradshaw once famously said "shopping is my cardio."  But it wasn't until I became housebound that I realized it was mine too.  That said, some shopping trips may not deliver the goods in terms of actual, well, goods.  But they give you more than you bargained for in other (good!) ways.

So, yeah.  It's nice to know I can still take on the world, snarky clerks and all.  But that I don't have to if I don't want to.

Which means that next time I'll hit up Macy's online instead of heading Backstage.

14 comments:

The Exclusive Beauty Diary said...

That conservation was very strange and awkward.

www.exclusivebeautydiary.com

ellie said...

Oh, you are an adventurer! I love looking at shoes the most at those high end stores. Although, I'm not really interested in high heels. As of yet, I haven't ventured that far to our mall (the second one is closing up shop) which seems to be dwindling by the month. Sure, we have a shopping center nearby that popped up a few years back in a cornfield and honestly, the wind whips you about no matter what season, but to go to the real mall is several minutes away off the freeway. Unfortunately, when it did open there was of all things a shooting that happened...not once but a span of 3 over a 3 week period. This is a sad time for box stores. So many places closed around here. And I have always wanted to go to a Macy's! But the one that was to open never did. I'm glad you got out there and shopped!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

I really loved your adventure! Gosh, some of these clerks..you just never know how they will be. I'm the type if you find a good clerk..I'll be back. Of course, I do shop in some places few go to and I have gotten to know the folks who work there. Back in the day, we had a Family Dollar nearby and I couldn't help but go there at least once a week to visit with this older gentleman who was a clerk there. Oh, he was such a flirt and happy. I hated that he had to retire. But I guess his health was getting bad. Then there was the time I talked some smart-mouthed guy who was probably too good looking for his own good to let me have a peacoat for 5 bucks instead of 20 at Salvation Army. I guess he thought we were going to date (honestly, I don't remember being that kind of a flirt) but he'd left his phone number in the pocket of the coat. Finally, he figured out I was still in high school when I came back with my mother. I so enjoy your stories and outfits.

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, the re-opening so far has had its hits and misses. What a delight to get to the mall. That guy at Macy's should be reprimanded. Talking bad about the store he works out. How could he? Always great to find some treasures, though. When I read your words, you give me a smile!

Carefully Listening said...

That outfit sounded amazing! So glad you are out and about. Hopefully, those snarky clerks will behave. I am always looking for a good buy. Of course, later I do wonder why I had to have, though.

Evi Erlinda said...

Shopping in malls is not only great for cardio but also substantial for releasing stress :)

dlkgzr said...

hi, Im a new follower on your blog for gfc ... ı hope you will be back ...http://www.dlkgzr.com/  

Samantha said...

I love your faux wicker pineapple picnic server!! It's so colorful and perfect for storing beads. Wow, what an adventure you had at the mall! Firstly, I love how you described the outfit you wore. Secondly, it's too bad about the snarky clerk incident, although I'm glad it didn't spoil your day; your driving time sounds like it was a real joy! Nothing like a stretch of road and singing along to tunes. 😀 I totally get what you mean about brick and mortar stores not always having what you want, and the appeal of online shopping with way more choices. It's definitely nice to know there's a choice when it comes to taking things on, like shopping!

Kathy Leonia said...

this outfit sounds so great :D

Tanza Erlambang said...

glad to hear that you are going out shopping now....
congratulation for second shots of Pfizer.

all types recepies and desert said...

Very nice

bread&salt said...

Shopping in the big Mall always decrease the stress and makes me happy. Have a great day.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I think we all felt good finally busting out to real stores instead of limited to shopping online. My favorite stores are Marshalls andTJMaxx. I've always found the mall too overwhelming. I love just getting out of the car and walking straight into the smaller store that has a sampling of everything: clothes, shoes, cosmetics, kitchenware etc... Really enjoyed your post

Jewel Divas Style said...

Unfortunately, shutting down for a couple of months during covid sent a few businesses into receivership, or just to the end of their life. But once we opened back up, while most had no issues, there were many main stores that just couldn't get stock thanks to buying said stock in China. Maybe it was China's way of punishing Aus, who knows, but thankfully a good 75% of our stores are still around, while others just closed physical stores and kept their online stores going.