Monday, May 31, 2021

Cured Meats and Other Treats: Mmmm, Memorial Day

Skirt: Amazon

Socks: Zulily

Tee: So, Kohl's

Bag: LC Lauren Conrad, Kohl's

Hat: Sea Star, Brigantine


Dress: LC Lauren Conrad, Kohl's

Red White and Blue I Love You Barrette Brooch

Bag: Betsey Johnson, Modcloth

Cherry necklace: Candie's, Kohl's; Other necklace: Wet Seal

Dress: Zulily


Skirt: Vylette, Kohl's

Bag: Circus by Sam Edelman, Kohl's

Top: Candie's, Kohl's

Shoes clockwise: Ami Clubwear; Christian Siriano for Payless; (last two) Chase & Chloe. Zulily

A hot dog is the most delicious disgusting thing you can eat (unless you're into escargot, which I'm not), and Memorial Day marks the first of three times each summer that I indulge in the mystery meat (the other times are Fourth of July and Labor Day).  Yesterday was no exception when the husband and I went to my parents' for a BBQ.  This was especially exciting after last year's porch party in the thick of the quarantine.  We ate inside because of the rain, but it was still a fun, festive time.  We're all big TV fans and talked about season finales and which shows got canceled or picked up for next season.  I even made a pudding poke cake from my JELL-O Celebrating 100 Years cookbook.    


Full disclosure, the poke in my cake didn't quite take, which meant that it was just a chocolate cake topped with pudding -- and lots of maraschino cherries.  Because whenever I botch a recipe, I like to make it extra pretty.  Anyway, the rain reminded me of the washout Memorial Day when I was five and my parents took my sister and me to see Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.  My mom was so disappointed that the storm squelched our beach plans, but I was secretly happy that we got to go to the movies instead.  Speaking of Mom, here she is:  


We're the same height, but I appear taller because I'm wearing heels.  We had the best time going through her closet and then looking at old pictures.  As they say, it's the little things. 

I hope your Memorial Day was happy too and that you got to spend time with your nearest and dearest and enjoy your favorite foods.   

Even the slimy ones. :)

13 comments:

bread&salt said...

Socks look cute (very cute)! I love it, Also red bag is beautiful. You look great.

Samantha said...

Ahhhhhhh!!! Your Memorial Day outfits are A-MAZING! Each and every one gives its own nod to the holiday with the red and blue theme - I love them all! The cherry accessories and the Patriotic Pastry Brooch are such a cute touch because they have that summer sweets vibe (with Memorial Day being the first summer kickoff holiday, it's a clever touch!) I adore your patriotic accessories and I immediately recognized the half-blood rubies on the Patriotic Polly Necklace. I'm glad you had fun at the BBQ; how cool that you made a pudding poke cake! Lastly, the photo of you and your mom is absolutely adorable!! That outfit in particular is my favorite. ❤️ The ribbons with the T-shirt and skirt is just so darn cute! I'm glad you had a happy Memorial Day! 😃

all types recepies and desert said...

Beautiful and Great post

ellie said...

Love all your red and blue! So great that you got to see your Mom on Memorial Day, too. You are both looking fab! And it's always the little things that add up great memories!

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, those beautiful high heels! Love the stripes and the floral too! Such a wonderful post. Thanks for all the comments, too! Hope you have a fantastic June!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

I always have brownie troubles! The last ones homemade stayed at home. So I got the box kind this time and they turned out nice and fudgy. Fantastic colors. Love your patriotic theme. Such of a wonderful picture of you and your Mom! Happy June!

Judee said...

I love your colorful outfits and zing! Those shoes look wonderful too. I enjoyed your post.

Kinga K. said...

You look so lovely❤

Kathy Leonia said...

you look amazing in dresses:)

Tanza Erlambang said...

a lot of nice collections... love your hat and handbags... so cute.

Happy memorial day

The Exclusive Beauty Diary said...

Your outfits are so beautiful. These dresses look perfect on you.

www.exclusivebeautydiary.com

Evi Erlinda said...

You look fantastic!
Cherry necklace looks so lovely!

Jewel Divas Style said...

More fruit bags. You can make a salad out of all the ones you have.