Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Shrill Quill, Will Thrill: What Happens When Easton Meets West


Last weekend, I binged the third and final season of the Hulu original comedy Shrill.  Based on journalist Lindy West's memoir of the same name, Shrill follows Annie Easton's (Aidy Bryant) journey as a fat twentysomething journalist jousting for justice.  Now, as I said when I blogged about Big Summer, I'm not and have never been fat and don't pretend to know how fat women feel.  But I am a woman and writer who knows all too well what it's like to be weird.  So, I was on team Annie from go.

When we first meet Annie, she's meek on the outside and enraged on the inside.  Although she's a staff writer at Portland's The Weekly Thorn, she's relegated to writing calendar entries, a gig that stifles her creativity.  She's sleeping with a guy who makes her use the back door so his roommates won't see her.  And everyone from strangers to her own mother urges her to lose weight while feigning concern for her health.  Usually, she shrugs it all off.  But one day she stops being quiet and starts questioning everything (indeed, an early chapter in West's book is called "How to Stop Being Shy in Eighteen Easy Steps").  The angrier Annie gets, the more powerful her writing becomes, earning her a reputation as a voice for the voiceless.  This isn't to say that she doesn't make a boatload of bad and hilarious decisions involving but not limited to vandalism, light stalking, and awkward social encounters.  Still, Bryant brings a kind of I-got-this calm to the crazy, reminding us that Annie's not only smart, sensitive, and talented, but worthy of our respect.  This is just one of the reasons why her many wrecked romances rankle.  I had to remind myself that Shrill isn't a rom com, however much I might want it to be, and that Lindy West's own story didn't exactly wrap with her and some dude riding off into the sunset.  But that's okay.  Because Shrill is about something more important, namely accepting yourself even when -- especially when -- no one else does.  

Along for the Shrill ride are Annie's no-nonsense, Nigerian, gay best friend Fran (Lolly Adefope), on-again-off-again bad news boyfriend Ryan (Luka Jones), narcissistic drama queen boss Gabe (John Cameron Mitchell), laidback but put-upon office husband Amadi (Ian Owens), and kooky coworker Maureen (Joe Firestone), whose Carol Kane energy all but levitates from her manic persona and wild curls.  

Some other stuff to watch for: 

1) Annie's dad, who's played by Daniel Stern, the non-Joe Pesci burglar in Home Alone.  (I knew he looked familiar!) 

2) Portlandia's Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein (Season 3).  Armisen cameos as Gabe's long-lost bandmate, and Brownstein directs three episodes.

And that brings us to that tired old thing that people do when they start speeches.  Dictionary.com defines shrill as "betraying some strong emotion or attitude in an exaggerated amount, as antagonism or defensiveness."  And to that I say, betray away. Because emotions aren't meant to be hidden.    

After all, the (quill) pen is mightier than the sword, that early and admittedly questionable line about "jousting for justice" notwithstanding.  

Maybe I should've started with the dictionary bit after all.

15 comments:

The Exclusive Beauty Diary said...

This book sounds very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

New Post - https://www.exclusivebeautydiary.com/2021/05/wella-system-professional-luxe-oil.html

ellie said...

Oh, if you've got a little Portlandia in there..what could go wrong? Interesting review. It does look interesting. And binge-worthy too..

Caitlin'nMegan said...

It seems these days comedy can get touchy and sometimes, I do wonder what journalists are doing these days to make a living. I've been reading Mhairi McFarlane's Just Last Night and even her main character has a sort of job that one wonders if it actually exists. It does sound like an interesting show.

Ivy's Closet said...

As usual, there are some great beginnings of shows, but the endings don't quite match up. What an interesting cast. HULU is really finding some unique TV shows. Loved the post!

Kinga K. said...

I don't know this book, thanks for review ❤

bread&salt said...

I think Lindy West does her job perfectly. Yes she is fat but cute fat Lady. Her fans accept her because of she does her job well.

Himawan Sant said...

It is an interesting book to read, because besides the humor, I am also curious about the feelings of the main character Annie experiencing body shaming.

Evi Erlinda said...

It is a great review!
Very interesting, I will read this book!

Kathy Leonia said...

this book looks so amazing:)

Samantha said...

Wow, this book sounds fascinating; I love what you wrote here, "Because Shrill is about something more important, namely accepting yourself even when -- especially when -- no one else does." Definitely a great takeaway! I laughed at "the non-Joe Pesci burglar in Home Alone" - LOL!!! I'm glad you enjoyed the book and the Hulu original!

windowtothebeauty said...

This book sounds very interesting 🥰🥰 Thank you for sharing.

Tanza Erlambang said...

good book of Lindy West....
thank you for sharing review.

all types recepies and desert said...

Very interesting

Jewel Divas Style said...

I haven't read it, though the show sounds interesting.

As an overweight girl whose thrice a week visits to see gym hasn't shifted one ounce of weight, it's not fun being fat. By the BMI chart I'd be obese, to me I'm overweight. It's not fun. But what I don't find funny is big girls taking the piss out of being big. Fat jokes get real old real quick and you begin to think that's all they've got. Is this show, and book, more than just the regulatory fat jokes? It would be great if it was.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

What a great review! I spotted the name Carol Kane in one of the margins and clicked on it, and this is where I ended up. This definitely sounds like a show that I would enjoy. I do love quirky and weird.