Monday, August 23, 2021

Saab Story Dory: Still Waters Pun Deep

We all know a grumpy old man.  Or at the very least have seen one on TV, whether he be an old-in-spirit-only curmudgeon like Ron Swanson, or one of the classic geriatrics from (what else?) Grumpy Old Men.  People say that oldsters get so crotchety because they've endured so much and have had enough already.  Which I thought I understood.  But then I read Fredrik Backman's A Man Called Ove and realized I didn't understand anything. 

Not too long ago, I read -- and very much enjoyed -- Backman's Anxious People.  But A Man Called Ove was Backman's first novel.  I'd always wanted to read it, and when Ellie of Ivy's Closet and Caitlin & Megan said I'd like it, I made an Amazon order.  As a librarian, Ellie knows books.

So, Ove.  When we meet him in suburban Sweden, he's the epitome of the irate, set-in-his-ways, hates-everyone senior citizen.  He loathes technology, people who aren't punctual, and cats.  He's always driven a Saab and distrusts anyone who drives anything else.  Never mind that he's only fifty-nine.  Ove is the kind that's been old all his life.  But the death of his adored wife, Sonja, as well as the loss of his job have exacerbated his already cantankerous ways.  Every morning, he patrols his neighborhood in search of burglars and other miscreants.  He oils his kitchen counters whether they need it or not.  He fixes things in his toolshed.  And he does it all not to pass the time, but because he needs to be useful.  As Ove's own Sonja said, ' "All people want to live dignified lives; dignity just means something different to different people." ' (274)

Backman does this clever thing where he alternates between Ove's past and present, making everything seem at the same time old-fashioned and timeless.  It turns out that Ove's life has been exceptionally sad, and Backman fleshes out each flashback with details so heartbreaking -- and, yes, sometimes funny -- that I couldn't help but be endeared to this angry old man who has very good reasons for being angry after all.  In this way, A Man Called Ove reminds me of another beloved book, Gabrielle Zevin's The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry.  Both are about seemingly misanthropic men who've been burned but turn things around just in time to trust again and appreciate life.  And that's my favorite kind of story.  

If Ove knew that he was the subject of this post -- well, if Ove were a real person and knew that he was the subject of this post -- then he would hate it, right down from the publicity (if you could call it that) to the hot pink background.  And that amuses me. 

Because documenting stuff with humor and heart is where I find my dignity.

And I like to think that Ove would respect that -- if only because I made a pun about Saab.

8 comments:

Samantha said...

At the end when you said you made a pun about Saab, I totally thought, "wait, when?!?!" Then I re-read the title of your post and thought, "ahaaaa!" Very, very clever! This sounds like quite a heartfelt tale and makes me realize that indeed, older folks may have many reasons for some being cranky! I love the dichotomy you pointed out about Ove's grumpy ways and the perky, vivaciousness of your hot pink background!

ellie said...

Oh, your review made me smile. It's funny how many patrons have told me, "This is the book I got my husband to read and he never reads." So I have a feeling there are a lot more Oves out there than we even know. And they might not even know they are an Ove. Such a wonderful title to your post, too! I will definitely look into that book you mentioned by Gabrielle Zevin.

To tell you the truth...I am still uncertain was that a good idea "Val & Matty" together? Not that I would want to create a catastrophe. But then what's a story without conflict? Even though, I have to admit I enjoy watching the "Matty" faceclaim in a lot dramas. The first drama I watched him in I thought this guy has to be almost 30 (but it was a period piece) and his character was so gallant yet could pick a mystery apart. Then I saw another YA series he was in..and I couldn't believe he's not that old at all. Sort of like that feeling when you first meet someone and you just know they have be so wise, but then you see that person with their friends and realize..oh..they are just a kid.

Thanks again for your awesome review!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, you are the best with puns! Yes, Ove is an interesting name as well as an interesting character. It's like he's lost his L along the way. I am so glad you reviewed this book. I think it's one that has reached a variety of readers.

Oh..you might have noticed there is a new "Frankie"...=). Perhaps I thought it was time for him to evolve (also I couldn't find any good pics of the other actor and he hasn't been in anything new in the last couple of years). Although, I dunno if that means if he's any smarter. thanks for noticing the header too. I thought it best not to make one so complicated.

Ivy's Closet said...

I do find his earlier works filled with more interesting characters than his later stuff. I don't know if that comes with being famous or what. But it seems he knows what to write about. Thanks so much for this wonderful review. I so enjoy your takes on books. These days, it's best to find a good book to read and of course, to stay home. With this pandemic, it's not only given up more to worry about but even see these novels in a new light, too. And this past month, we would be so excited oh we can dine in at our favorite Chinese place just to find out dine-in is closed. Then to go to some other place to find out the woman who runs the place who wants you to pick and choose what she's made isn't even wearing a mask. Here's to hope we have a better September.

I got a good start on a hat I started to crochet while waiting at a doctor's appointment yesterday..just to learn they have lost my records and had nothing to go on from my previous visit which was in May when I went in about my eye. So then I was sent to get more bloodwork just find they never put me in the system. It seems somethings have not gotten better here, even if they say their new system is supposed to be better.

Quiet and Sun by Alexa said...

It's very interesting book, You make me curious :)

Kathy Leonia said...

it looks really interesting:)

Marzena T said...

Ove must be a very interesting character, but I have the impression that he is similar to many other old men

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Sounds like an interesting story. I enjoyed your character analysis and your pun! Not sure it's a book I'm interened in reading right now. I'm in the mood for a biography.