Monday, April 11, 2022

Denial File: Spy Me a River

If you've been reading this blog for awhile, then you know that I'm a big fan of Agatha Christie.  Yet despite having read all her books, I hadn't seen a single movie adaptation.  So when Kenneth Branagh's version of Death on the Nile popped up on HBO, I knew I had my night's viewing sorted.

It's an old story (as old as 1937, in fact).  Wealthy, beautiful, and young honeymooners Linnet (Gal Gadot) and Simon (the disgraced and disgraceful Armie Hammer) set off on a luxury cruise down the Nile.  Although they're surrounded by supposed well-wishers (Annette Bening and Russell Brand among them), one of their party is a killer, and it's up to Hercule Poirot (Kenneth Branagh) to catch him.  Or her, crime being an equal opportunity employer.

Like all Christie classics, Death on the Nile highlights the ever-intriguing theme of British propriety and elegance pitted against the sordid business of murder.  It fascinates me that ladies and gentlemen who wouldn't be caught, ahem, dead without a hair or cuff link out of place think nothing of sullying themselves to take a life.  It's disturbing to consider that we may all be an inheritance away from doing the same, dismantling the delicate smokescreen of this construct called society.  That said, there are elements in the movie that seem out of place in a tale otherwise imbued with Christie's reserve.  For one thing, I figured out the murderer right away, and when I'm reading, I never figure it out at all.  Yes, I had read this book, albeit twenty years ago.  But even if I hadn't, I think I still would've known.  Because it's a movie.  And everything is laid out and exaggerated, from Simon's suggestive dance moves to Poirot's outing of characters' various side hustles (blackmail, embezzlement, jewel theft, etc.).  By contrast, Christie's books, both in general and this one in particular, are nuanced, everything hinging on the minutest of details, making you work to put it all together but still come up short because you weren't privy to the fact that Lord Chesterfield had a secret second cousin or whatever.

Then there's Poirot himself.  In the books, he's always a bystander.  Impeccably dressed and brilliant, but a bystander nonetheless.  We don't know about his personal life, nor do we care.  He's there to see that justice is served, and that's it.  Yet his character in this movie is different.  Not only does he get a dramatic backstory that reveals the origin of his famous mustache, but one of the suspects becomes his love interest.  Sacré bleu indeed!  Despite his taking note of the odd pretty girl in the books, it never goes any further than that and, as a result, I've always thought of him as firmly asexual.  

So.  Once the credits rolled, I knew there was nothing for it except to return to the scene of the crime.  That's right.  I cracked open my old copy of Death on the Nile.  Literally.  Ancient Egypt's got nothing on this paperback; the cover snapped off when I opened it.


Now, over the years, I've reread many beloved books, but never a mystery.  And I don't recommend it.  Although it was satisfying to confirm that I wasn't wrong, that the book did have a subtlety that made it more surprising and satisfying than the movie, the fact remained that I now knew how it would end.  And that took all the magic out of it.  Also, subtle or not, it seemed kind of shameful that I hadn't been able to figure it out the first time.  

If I'm hard on Branagh as a filmmaker, then I'm even harder on myself as a reader.

Anyway, despite being a Poirot purist and listing these seeming cinematic criticisms, I enjoyed Death on the Nile, the movie.  It was lovely to look at and offered a new perspective on the story, one untainted by my own biases.  Also, I got a kick out of seeing Russell Brand in a role so serious that I had to IMDb him to check.  The movie was different from the book but not bad, and that, perhaps, was as it should be.

In other words, you can reread a book, but you can't go home again.  

But you can always go to the movies. 

5 comments:

ellie said...

Such a great line to the post and of course, a great last line too!

I have not read much of her novels but I was on a Poirot kick there for a while, and then I stopped. sure why. But I had thought about wanting to watch the movie but of course, you know who (Armie) put me off. Thanks so much for this delightful review. I'm so glad you remember things that you read. I was talking to a co-worker asking what she had read and she says, "I just finished this new book but I don't remember a thing about it."

💕💕💕💕💕💕💕

Thanks so much for your comment! Koda and Vanna do have their differences, and of course, even I never thought Vanna wouldn't go out of her way with anyone, but of course suddenly she realizes..I don't really many friends do I? Especially, from high school.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, such a good mystery series to have on your shelf. I'm glad you could pull it out and read along with this HBO movie. I have to admit I always find mysteries so intriguing, but I will confess I have mixed feelings about THE PARIS APARTMENT. It is taking me forever to get through. Awesome review. The gook is always better!

*****************************
Thank you for your comment! Yes, I just couldn't help myself about Liv's Mom. I had found that photo from Yellowjackets (which I have not watched) Also thank you so much for those little inspirations you give me! Hopefully, this will be a new beginning for Liv..also..I decided to go with a new face claim since I was so limited with the photos I had from Shein. So this is someone from Forever 21.

Ivy's Closet said...

So great to hear about the movie and the book too! I think we have the movie at the library. Possibly. Although, these days I don't have a DVD player I can actually use. Ugh..always something. I know..just get the book!

I am glad you are an avid fan of Agatha Christie! Such a splendid review. Oh, I like your thinking!

Thanks again for your comments! I hope you guys have a sweet Easter celebration. Hopefully, we won't have a tornado or two before then. Which reminds me, I need snacks for the basement.

Hollyn'Stevie said...

Such a fun review! Like how you compared the movie to the book. Wonderful title to this post!

Thanks again for reading my rather warped story. But I kind of like the characters...=) & thank you for inspiring my sets too!

Samantha said...

I recall seeing the trailer for this film when I went to see Scream several months back - it looked like a real intriguing, classy mystery! I had no idea it was a book. I can see how re-reading a mystery would take all the fun out of it, since you already have the mystery solved! I like how you photographed the displaced cover by placing it on the book with that cool yellow butterfly. :)