Sunday, April 3, 2022

The Meal Deal: Welcome to the Jungle

Tights: Isadora, Zulily

Bag: Current Mood, Dolls Kill

Skirt: Wild Fable, Target

Ring: Claire's; Claw: Wild Fable, Target: Necklace: Betsey Johnson, Amazon; Bracelet: Amrita Singh, Zulily

Sweater: Bar III, Macy's

Shoes: Jessica Simpson Collection, Amazon

Skirt: Vanilla Star, Macy's


Top: The North Face, Macy's

Barrettes: The Tote Trove

Tights: Modcloth

Shoes: Betsey Johnson, Macy's

Top: Bar III, Macy's

Bag: Violet Ray, Kohl's

Skirt: Merona, Target

Bangles: Mixit, JCPenney; Rings: Express; Barrette: The Tote Trove; Heart bracelet: Cloud Nine, Ocean City; Rectangle bracelet: Wet Seal

This is a bit of a shocker, so you may want to sit down.  Are you sitting down?  With an ice cold or piping hot beverage?  And maybe a cookie or cheese and crackers?  Okay, good.  Here it goes.  Two weeks ago, I went to a restaurant.  

Everything okay?  You didn't choke on that cookie, did you?  Good.  Just for making it through, have another.

So, my mom was turning seventy.  And she wanted a small group (eight adults and three children) to celebrate at one of her favorite Italian eateries.  My dad made sure to request the "dining room," which is a small room in the front housing a single table for twelve.  The only thing that might stand in Mom's way was that I might not be okay with it.  Which was humbling.  Was I really such a scaredy-cat prima donna?  Maybe.  Because I didn't answer immediately.  But minutes later, I came to my senses and said of course, the husband and I would be there.  So on the appointed day, I put on my tiger-striped best and turquoise eyeshadow, and the husband and I drove toward Philly.  That's where I am in the first pic, posed outside the restaurant before donning my K90 mask to enter the lobby.  I made the husband wear a mask too, and he obliged, albeit begrudgingly.  When we opened the door, though, no one else was wearing one.  I felt a little silly.  But not silly enough to take it off before we arrived at our cloistered table.

When I finally bared my mug, I felt . . . normal.  Safe.  Not at all panicked like I was in those pre-vaccine dreams where I found myself in a crowded store without facial protection.  Sure, I doused myself with antibacterial gel every other time I picked up my fork.  But I drank my Pepsi and ate my shrimp and watched my niece and nephew devour their bread like it was an ordinary Sunday.  And it was nice.  Not so nice that I wondered what I'd been missing for the past two years (all in all, I still prefer staying home), but nice to know that I could handle eating out should a special occasion arise.  And toasting Mom's seventieth over seafood sans takeout containers was pretty special.  

So, in support of that first foray into "the jungle," I came up with two more animal print ensembles.  I broke out my new bejeweled, leopard Betsey heels too, which I'd recently scored on clearance.  They were cute alright -- but they were also killers.  I told the husband that the left one was getting me right where my bunion lived.  His response?  "All aboard the bunion bus!".  I took the shoes off after he took the pic, but he sang that ditty for the rest of the day.  With such riveting in-house entertainment, is it any wonder I never want to go out?  That's where small talk and traffic and COVID lurk, and most of the time it isn't worth it.  As they say, it's a jungle out there.  

But as I learned at my mom's birthday dinner, not always.  Sometimes it's a (walk in the) park.

9 comments:

ellie said...

So excited for you that you got to enjoy your Mom's birthday party! Sweet happenings💕💖💕 Oh, such exciting outfits you have for this occasion! Lov'n that handbag too! Dang those shoes! & and what a funny ditty your husband came up with too. Oh, I can feel the smiles now. LOVE IT! It's great to see all these jungle prints. I myself have never worn them. I know..what am I waiting for? This was such a fun post to read. I hope all is good this April for you!

Thank you for the comments! Well, "Bom" has changed a lot. I feel. Although, I dunno if Brian had anything to do with it, possibly I think it being a mother to his son Keanu that changed her most. In the beginning, she was Joon's worst mistake and then they became step-siblings. Of course, family is always complicated and naturally, no one changes overnight. And of course, Victoria and Melissa have their differences and of course, see each other a lot different than perhaps how we actually are.

I feel it's been a very long weekend at the library. But it wasn't bad. Happy April!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Such a fun post! So great to see you out for a celebration. I am sure it was lots of fun for both of you. I love what you find in your wardrobe. Some amazing prints and more! Such a lovely time for all of you! I wonder what Easter will bring? And March Madness still going...

Thank you so much for reading and of course your encouraging comments too. I greatly appreciate them. I guess the hardest part is keeping a balance since I normally don't write about anything quite that out of the ordinary. And of course, I do want to include all the characters..some way.

Ivy's Closet said...

"All aboard the bunion bus" .. hilarious! But the fashions made up for such a spectacular event. Love the "Jungle" theme. Oh, such a fun time! So glad you guys celebrated. And some great ITALIAN too Awesome! Love how you put these outfits together. And great makeup too! Here's to a fantastic April of lots of fun!

I couldn't help myself but want to write about the "oscar event"..especially when I figured out what a co-worker was saying under his mask..I was like "what?" and it went from there.

I was looking over some sets I had made a few years ago on 'ellie' and came across the "Brian" character and how he looked when he was younger. Of course, now he looks MANLY compared to his past teen years..so it was good to revisit and come up with the "ART SCHOOL" short.

Hollyn'Stevie said...

Such great outfits. I love how unique and cool they are. Oh, you do know how to make it work! Making those colors pop! So great about the Birthday Celebration too. I can understand though..about staying home. If it's not COVID it's the aftermath of the pandemic too..and lord knows..is it really over?

Thanks so much for your comments. Yes, they are not perfect. Possibly gritty and yet resilient. You might notice too that "Carrie" face claim is also "Harley" in Ellie.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Wow- that certainly was quite an adventure. I do understand how you feel. I felt the same way until 5 months ago when Omnicron took over and wasn't thought to be as dangerous. I was still careful but I took my husband to the hospital for a stress test and boom , I got it. I was sick fo r2 weeks but not too sick so I started to let up. Now, I pretty much do everything. I have so many friends who were never careful and never got Covid. Who knows why. Anyway, I'm glad you went, hope you had a good time, and hope you are fine. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Betsy Johnson shoes.

Kinga K. said...

Pretty❤

Samantha said...

It's funny because as I started reading this post, I just sat down at Starbucks with an iced cold beverage! I adore the jungle theme going on in this post!! Your restaurant outfit photo is adorable, as is the fruity Dolls Kill purse! The purple fuzzy jacket reminds me of grapes and it's such a cute pairing with the leopard print skirt. The harmonica necklace is super cool and totally different from anything I've ever seen. Your accessories are killer!!! Especially the shot of the ones together in the final photo. I'm glad that you enjoyed your outing, despite being hesitant at first. I'm sure your mom and family loved having you there and it sounds like you and the husband had a fun time with his "bunion bus" song! LOL!!! (Aren't bunions awful to deal with?! Ack!!!)

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I love the jungle theme in just about anything, and it looks fabulous here. You really have a great way of not only ferreting out the best things, but putting things together in such a way as to look unique, beautiful, and tastefully over the top. I am particularly in love with those shoes! We women of a certain age (most of us at least) opt for comfort over heels, so as much as I love them, I wouldn’t buy a pair like that, but I’m certainly going to look for something a little flashier in a flatter style. Thanks for the inspiration!

Jewel Divas Style said...

I read the title of this post and immediately The Misfits (from Jem) started singing Welcome to the Jungle in my head.