Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Flatch is a Catch According to June

Fabulous Felt Mad Scientist Barrette

It's true.  I can't take the credit for this snappy slogan.  That honor goes to June -- also sometimes known as June Bug (Karen Huie) -- a denizen of Flatch, Ohio, population 1526.

If you've seen the commercials, then you know that I'm talking about FOX's new Thursday night sitcom, Welcome to Flatch.  Told in mockumentary style, it's a cross between Parks and Recreation and Beavis and Butt-Head, exploring day-to-day life in rural Ohio through the eyes of a delinquent duo.  

Flatch is the picture of pastoral charm.  And cousins and best friends Shrub (yes, like the tree) (Sam Straley) and Kelly (Holmes) hatch one harebrained scheme after another in an attempt to get rich quick.  Everything they touch takes a cringeworthy turn, whether it be a fall festival, an adult continuing education class, or a church dance-off.  They're as opportunistic as they are clueless, the very antithesis of the wholesome Midwestern values that the mockumentary purports to uphold.  Not even well-meaning Father Joe (Seann William Scott) (who's, by the way, not a priest, but a pastor) can get through to them.  And therein, of course, lies the humor.  The harder Father Joe tries, the funnier it is, making for a satisfying homespun satire.  Having the guy best known as American Pie's Stiffler play a man of God trying to reform a pair of ne'er-do-wells is a brainstorm of a bonus.  As is casting You're the Worst's usually caustic Aya Cash as Cheryl, Father Joe's earnest, journalist-for-all-the-right-reasons ex.  Despite being dumped after her move from the city, she sticks around to run the newspaper.  

But Welcome to Flatch  is about Shrub and Kelly.  And they aren't all bad.  As is the case with most misunderstoods, their antics are a cry for help.  Shrub yearns to win the affections of phlegmatic, plain Jane beauty school student Beth.  And Kelly just wants her jerk of an absentee father to notice her.  So maybe they're more Parks and Recreation than Beavis and Butt-Head after all.  But not Leslie Knope or Ron Swanson.  More like part of the angry mob at a town hall meeting -- or fry cooks at Paunch Burger.    

That said, Kelly's entry in the town motto contest is "Bask in our Flatulence."  "Flatch is a Catch" it isn't, but it tells us everything we need to know about this stupid smart show.

Just like this sold-but-not-forgotten-not-Flatch-but-flask-emblazoned Fabulous Felt Mad Scientist Barrette tells you everything you need to know about The Tote Trove.

5 comments:

ellie said...

Such a fantastic barret! So glad it sold too! I am way out of the loop on this new show, but so glad to hear about it. Sounds truly of off-beat fun!

Actually, the winds have been howling here and I slept right through it. Although, it's been a week of strange cat dreams. I will do my best to keep them out my stories...maybe.

Thanks for your comments! Izzy just doesn't seem to know better. And it's always interesting to have a friend who you see as someone already set in her ways. Oh, and Brandon....watch a Chinese drama with a Canadian actor in a bit part and well it just stirs up April inspiration.

Ivy's Closet said...

I am definitely going to see if I can find this show. It does look like some interesting dialogue and so much more! Thanks so much for the review. Oh, that catchy phrase too. I am so glad it inspired you and your wonderful art!

We have a project going on at the library for patrons to take pages from ill-fated books and cut up words to create poetry. Or draw sharpy through the words you don't want. I dunno..it gets kind of messy and I am one of those who can't decide. It just warps my brain.

I did go to some writer's group a while back where someone was trying to teach us something other than a haiku. Evidently, I didn't have the rhythm for it.

But I like the idea of just taking a little square and see what happens when you write.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

You do know how to write such a fun and insightful review. This looks promising. I haven't seen anything this promising in a while on Fox or any of the new comedies on NBC. Thanks so much! Oh, such a cool barret too! You are so clever!

Thanks for your comments. Perhaps, I just wanted someone's POV of LaLa and how she is. I have a feeling Eddie talks to Roman a lot more than Paulie talks to LaLa. And maybe Eddie just studies people since he might have more time on his hands wheeling people about at the hospital. Oh and the burger syndrome...honestly, those burgers don't look anything like the pictures as of late..especially at Burger King. Its hard to get those burgers right. Makes me think of a co-worker who has now moved. During the pandemic they seldom cooked at home but was always ordering takeout and somehow, her husband ordered a burger for her and he'd said.."nothing on it" and all she got was bread. Of course, it cost a small fortune to have that delivered by the Uber guy.

Hollyn'Stevie said...

Oh, what a phrase! I love what inspired you! Wonderful work you do! Looks like very interesting happenings from this latest on FOX!

Hope your April is off to a good start! Thank you so much for reading and your comments..and of course, I love those fabrics of yours too..for the collages!

Hopefully, it won't be too crazy of a story, but then again..I get a little crazy in this story, but I hope I keep it going. Thanks again, for being here!

Samantha said...

"Bask in our Flatulence" - LOL!!!!!!!!! This show sounds wildly entertaining! Even the title of the show is catching. And I totally adore your Fabulous Felt Mad Scientist Barrette! To me, it completely encompasses a high school chemistry class - although you make chemistry look fun and cute, which for me it was definitely not! I think I got a C- in chem. Anyway, I'm glad you showcased this "sold but not forgotten" gem of a barrette! I've never seen it before and it is glorious. :)