Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Easter Aftermath: Hats Off to Whodunits

Easter may be over, but the leftovers remain.  And not just that giant chocolate Easter egg or wedge of ham pie in the fridge.  Also Leslie Meier's latest Easter installment, Easter Bonnet Murder.  Despite what the title suggests, the victim wasn't strangled with the ribbons from an elaborate millinery creation.  Nevertheless, the actual murder was even more bizarre and disturbing.  

When reporter Lucy Stone is assigned to cover the annual Easter bonnet decorating contest at Tinker Cove's retirement home, Heritage House, she doesn't anticipate drama.  But infighting among the residents, possible Medicaid fraud, and the disappearance of a loner bird watcher have her holding on to her proverbial hat.  Heritage House is supposed to be a refuge for the old and infirm, and Lucy wants to keep it that way.  But someone lurking behind Bingo nights and pudding breaks has other plans.  And it's up to Lucy to stop him or her before it's her head on the chopping block.

As always, it wasn't the book's whodunit, but the everyday observations that really interested me.  I was particularly taken with the idea of decking out Easter bonnets (no surprise there), although I wasn't keen on the competition.  The mean (old) girls at Heritage House are the same as those found in any school or workplace, as Lucy herself muses while making dinner:

"What was it with women, she wondered, taking a package of ground chicken out of the fridge and dumping it into a bowl.  Why can't they just lead their own happy lives, why do they have to scheme and plot against each other she asked herself, dumping in the breadcrumbs." (101)

You said it, Lucy!  And that's why, for me, solitary artistic activities are where it's at.  

Or, to put it more bluntly, stay sexy keep crafting and don't get murdered.

7 comments:

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, that was a good line..especially, that last one! Sounds like a fun mystery read. I always like those side stories too. It looks like a fun read. Thanks for reading my spur-of-the-moment shorts. I did manage to review a book..

Caitlin'nMegan said...

I like the way this author can show us new recipes and give us insightful info about the situation at the same moment. Oh, it is interesting what folks do at Easter, but I have never decorated a bonnet either. Thanks for the wonderful review>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thanks for reading too. & your comments. I had to bring Mona back into the story...❤️❤️❤️

Hollyn'Stevie said...

Oh, it does look like a winner. Such great timing to read this one too. Oh, this author does know her mysteries, too. What a fun review! And of course, your fun commentary too! ****************** brr..its been cold and windy but no snow. I think we would have preferred the snow. Thanks for your comments. I so appreciate them.

ellie said...

Oh, what a fun one. Yes, let's get to crafting. Of course, I still haven't tie-dyed my sweatshirt yet. I always feel this author has some fun and unique individuals in her novels. A good mystery author to turn to. XXXXXXXXXXXX Thanks so much for reading about Declan & Brandon. I know it's not easy for some to read about. Now if the week could get a bit warmer...although, I will probably complain about that too.

All the best to the rest of a fun a productive April. Earth day is coming!

Samantha said...

Love these holiday-themed book reviews!! And the cover for it is, as always, cleverly crafted and a stark contrast against the ominous title! I really like the quote you included from the book - it's definitely a question we as women have all probably wondered ourselves, sadly. And to think, such things exist in places from schools, to work places, to retirement homes. Solitary artistic activities are definitely where it's at, indeed! "Keep crafting and don't get murdered" - excellent words to live by!

Kinga K. said...

Interesting phrase❤

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I LOVE your book reviews! I have read every book by this author with the exception of this one. For the most part, I have liked them all, and there’s no reason that I wouldn’t like this one as well. Great post!