Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Love Lessons: Girl World Unfurled

When I opened Sally Rooney's Beautiful World, Where Are You, I wasn't sure what to expect.  Even if I did gain an inkling from the thought-provoking post on Ivy & Ellie.  I was cautiously excited (if that's even a thing) because I'd loved Normal PeopleStill, I sensed that this book would be different.  And I was right.  Sort of.

Alice and Eileen have been best friends since college.  Now in their late twenties, both are ladies of letters, Alice as a famous novelist and Eileen as a small-time magazine editor.  They also write letters to each other, long, scholarly-sounding emails lamenting the evils of capitalism and their guilt about caring about their love lives more than global warming and starvation.  Although World has the trifecta of elements commonly featured in women's fiction, i.e., man woes, job woes, and family woes, we're not in chick lit land anymore.  I'm not going to lie; the letters are a little tedious and sometimes hard to take.  Nevertheless, I can't deny that they're special.  They show what a close friendship these women share and are endearing in their honesty.  I wanted to write to Alice and Eileen myself and say, hey, the weight of the world isn't on your shoulders.  And therein, I think, lies Rooney's point: being young is a painful business.

Yet despite their torment, both Alice and Eileen dread growing up.  It takes them a long time to realize that the end of adolescence can be the beginning of everything else, freeing them from the pressure to be perfect.  In other words, the beautiful world has been there all along, but they've been too troubled to see it.   

That's the thing about this book.  Even as Rooney ever so gently satirizes her heroines, there's never a doubt that she feels for them, or that their angst is any less real.  If anything, she wants them to get past the demons that plague them, to accept themselves -- and the world -- as they are.  And as lofty and remote as this book sometimes is, it doesn't get much more poignant than that.  It's why Alice ultimately reverses her position on love, deciding that despite -- or because of -- all the hurt in the world, love isn't trivial, but all there is:

"So of course in the midst of everything, the state of the world being what it is, humanity on the cusp of extinction, here I am writing another email about sex and friendship.  What else is there to live for?" (146)

So Alice is a closet romantic.  Which isn't too far off the mark from chick lit.  

Put that in your vape pen and smoke it, Bechdel Test. 

5 comments:

Samantha said...

First off, I totally love the illustrations in the front and back end of the book!! What a deep plot, and definitely sounds like it celebrates friendship and the evolution of adolescence to adulthood. I like how it centers around letters between the two characters for a more personal touch. "Put that in your vape pen and smoke it" - LOL!!! Finally, I'd like to mention that you inspired me to buy my first mystery novel from Barnes & Noble. It's one of those "bookstore café mysteries" and close to it I saw a book that you recently reviewed (the Easter mystery one!). I've always wanted to try out mystery novels, so thanks for inspiring me! :)

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, those modern friendships. I only have very few anymore that I e-mail so it's always great to see that someone is actually e-mailing. Yes, this author has a way of finding the bitter-sweet. I so appreciate your review. Although, I dunno if I will turn to her for women's fiction.

Thanks for commenting on the Hoover book (or books) It is funny how the director is about this author's books. She was shocked how many of this author's books go out and how so many comeback torn and wet. That doesn't seem to happen to Patterson's books and a lot of money is spent on those at least 6 or more copies we purchased and within a year or less most of those have gone to the booksale.

I always find your book reviews very insightful!

ellie said...

Thanks so much for this great review. Interesting how they both write. And how successful they are too. Thanks for the smile near the end there, too! I think in general a lot of the modern fiction books do fall short, somehow. But then maybe it's me..not enough strife, I sometimes think. But it is quite a tightrope. Of course, it doesn't help when you have long lost drunk friends calling..You should be reading this..which sometimes turns out to be far worse than I would ever want to wrap my head around with shocking horror. So it is always great to read something cleverly written. And I thank you so much for being here...=)

As many books as I do check out, it seems I have been using my LIBBY APP through the library even more. Of course, only a 2 week checkout compared to 3 weeks. Yes, always a struggle for me to get a book read..cause, you know..I'd rather be writing.

Thanks so much for your review and being here.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

I am so glad you reviewed this book. This author really is on a roll these days. She's a favorite by many and it's great to get your take on this book of hers. I love the humor and levels of reflection that you find in this book too. Thanks so much!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I so appreciate your comments too. Somehow, I feel my storytelling is a bit backward with Bea and Frankie..but still, sometimes, I think Frankie is his own worst enemy, but then he might have friends too that feel he's right on track. Of course, the cast keeps growing.

All the best to a great end of April and a wonderful May on the horizon!

Hollyn'Stevie said...

Maybe she is the John Green for adults! Just who we need. & Irish too! I really enjoyed your review. & what a great last line.

Thanks for reading & commenting. I promise there's more. Although, my May is looking like extra hours with all these little vacations already coming up.