Monday, June 20, 2022

The Mustang Gang: Father Knows Jest

I was getting into my car to drive to my parents' to drive to my sister's for Father's Day when my mom called.  "Wear warm clothes," she warned.  "We're taking the Mustang."  A couple of years ago, my dad finally bought his dream car, a gently used, painstakingly maintained Mustang convertible, and he drives it every chance he gets.  


I'd ridden in it only once, last Father's Day, on an ice cream run.  But my sister's was forty minutes from my parents'.  So I knew that I needed to bring the big guns in the form of a hoodie and scarf.  And I was glad I did!  For most of the ride, my face was entirely covered.  


Which was just fine with me, because warmth and sun protection in one.  Even if my sister said that I looked like "something out of an '80s Grey Gardens."     

     

Anyway, a good time was had by all.  It was a day of dad jokes and classic rock (The Cars, as Dad quipped, appropriately included) and baseball talk (the Phillies lost, but they'll get them next time.)  We had hot dogs and hamburgers by the pool, and I got to hang out with my nieces and nephew.  The seven-month-old had a high time playing with my necklace, which was adorable until she tried to eat it.

On the way to my sister's, we had stopped at Acme so Mom could pick up some ice cream (apparently, the Mustang's programmed to fetch Father's Day dairy).  Dad and I waited in the car.  He took off his baseball cap and said that his hair was almost all white.  I said that it looked good on him, and that I had more white hairs too.  When Mom returned, Breyers melting in hand, Dad filled her in on our conversation.  I thought that it was poignant that we'd gone from Dad teaching me how to ride a bike and drive a car to us comparing notes about the follicular passage of time.

At the end of the day, Dad thanked Mom and me for humoring him with the Mustang.  And although we didn't say so in pun form at the time, wild horses couldn't drag us away.

On that note, I hope that everyone had a happy and memorable Father's Day.  Hopefully, with lots of laughs and ice cream. :)

9 comments:

The Book Group said...

Oh, this post did give me a chuckle! I loved the Grey Garden's reference...=)

Such a wonderful Father's Day post❤️πŸ’™πŸ’›

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Glad you had a good Father's Day with your dad and family and got to ride in his Mustang. I must say you really looked pretty bundled up for this time of the year (although) it was a little chilly yesterday.

The Liberty Belle said...

Your Dad sounds precious! So gald that you had an enjoyable time. Blessings!

Samantha said...

Oh my gosh, this is so CUTE!!! The way you bundled yourself up is adorable (as are those navy blue sun glasses!). The photo of your dad driving and your mom in the passenger seat shows how much fun you all looked to be having. And that last photo of you in the backseat is absolutely hilarious in the best of ways (you look so tiny and cute back there!!) What a fun post to commemorate Father's Day, and I love the pun at the end!

ellie said...

Oh, that first photo..priceless! Such a great adventure you had with your parents on Father's day. I'm so glad you got some Dad Time! What a cool ride!πŸŒˆπŸ’–πŸŒΈπŸ’–πŸŒˆπŸŒΈπŸŒˆπŸ’–

Thank you so much for your comments! Thanks for all your inspiration too! It has been interesting to work on the Link and Izzy relationship. I guess what is funny is that "Link" is a name from a video game that someone I know wanted his name to Lincoln so we could call him Link. Oh, and Mercer. Yes, Mercer at the library. At a time there was a co-worker with epilepsy. Although, I never saw it actually happen. Before it did happen, he would warn everyone "Don't call an ambulance. I can't afford an ambulance." I don't think he was really good at taking his medication either. Of course, Mercer probably has more friends than he knows.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Sounds like quite a Father's Day outing! And ice cream too! Oh what a ride, it must have been =) So love reading your post! What a cool car! Just Jello pudding pie here, but I put enough cream in them that might as well have been ice cream. πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’– Oh, I'm dreading work tomorrow. Hopefully, I will rest up for more Summer Reading fun. We do have someone at Circ with COVID. Another had neck surgery. Oddly, I saw him at the grocery store today and he showed me his scar. He had two of the top vertebrae fused. 🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈🌈Thanks for reading and always great to read your comments! Oh, I had heard from a neighbor about something similar that had happened to her grandson by the other grandmother. She popped his arm out of his socket. Ofc course, Vera might be too old to babysit Cora, too. And Cora might be just a little bit of a stinker, but those two might become best friends fast. Oh, and Alex..well, we can't let everything go perfectly for him. AND it still amazes me..how I accidentally find LIV's faceclaim. This time at SHEIN. Yeah, it's the little things that keep me perky..lol.

Hope you have a good week. I roasted eggplant in the airfryer tonight and it turned out perfectly! Thanks so much for being here.

Ivy's Closet said...

Such an exciting Father's Day! So glad you guys got a ride in that Mustang. Wow! Oh, if only those little ones could appreciate your necklaces. Maybe some day soon!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thanks for all your comments. Oh, I dunno what I've got myself into by starting this Boyfriend Material group, but then again it's fun too. Especially, to see what others write from that INTERVIEW example I keep posting. Naturally, they have to have Jamie Campbell Bowar as their face claim. I on the other hand always find inspiration in just those everyday models at H&M or Forever 21.

All the best to your creativity& of course, the summer reading list!

Emmylou said...

I love how your Father's Day turned out! Thank you so much for sharing. My dad passed away awhile back but I still miss him so much.
BTW, love the Grey Gardens look! :D

Jewel Divas Style said...

I laughed at that last photo. You look so cute!