Monday, June 6, 2022

New Wave Rave: Rock Around the Clock of Seagulls

New year, new you is an understatement for Oona Lockhart.  Having a New Year's Day birthday is one thing.  But in 1982, when she turns nineteen, she embarks on a brand-new life.  One minute, she's preparing to jam with her band; the next, she wakes up to find she's fifty-one.  That's right.  By some cosmic hiccup, Oona has become a time traveler.  At the stroke of midnight on each birthday, she "leaps" to another year in her life.  If time is money, than Oona's a pauper -- even though she's a millionaire.  (Time travel may be tough on the soul, but it's gold when playing the stocks.)  Her only guidance comes in the form of the letters she writes herself the year before, although they raise more questions than answers.  Because this is the story of Oona Out of Order, and it's one wild ride.  

Written by Ukrainian-born novelist Margarita Montimore, Oona Out of Order is different from anything I've read, not so much because of the time travel (I see you, The Time Traveler's Wife and The Midnight Library), but because of its vibe.  Although it's women's fiction, it doesn't have that pink gumball chick lit taste, which I appreciate (despite having a palate for said gumball), if only for the novelty.  Instead, it glitters with the grit of New York City's club scene, sex, drugs, and rock and roll ruling the earlier years of Oona's life.  Through it all, she grows and changes, the only constants her mom and music.  Both anchor her through the confusion and heartache that come with hurtling through the space-time continuum.  There's also a bit of a mystery going on, and I could kick myself (as per usual) for not figuring it out.  But I'll be a good little blogger and not breathe a word in case you decide to read this.     

Woven with what-ifs and dark romance, Oona Out of Order haunts you long after you're read the last page.  It would make a great movie, its poignant message intensified by a killer wardrobe and soundtrack.  Beautifully written, it keeps you guessing -- and entertained -- as you join Oona on each new journey to unlock the keys to her life and heart.                    

9 comments:

ellie said...

It does look like such a unique and great book. Awesome that it would make a fun movie too. Definitely a book to look for. I know I've seen the cover..great to hear more about it...>>>>>>>>>>>> Thanks for your comments. Oh, I feel I have been falling behind and thought it best to keep things going for Slater, and now to have Frank in the picture too. We can't forget about Frank. Even if Slater may want too.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Such a unique book to deal with time! Love the review. I like bookcover too. It does look like a whimsical read for June, indeed!

Thanks so much for your comments. Oh, I am doing my best to get through June, with probably too many stories, but I enjoy that too. And prom..oh, we all need a chance to dress up.

Ivy's Closet said...

Love the review. I have not seen a copy of this really up close. I wasn't sure what it was about. I will definitely look for it now. I have been reading Emily's Book Lovers and it's on hold for everyone it seems at the library. Thanks so much for your comments too. I feel my first two Tuesday Fictions will be dug up in the archives. I didn't realize this was the month to read about time..evidently. But of course, I don't think it matters really. Happy reading and of course, happy blogging too!

Cherry Blossoms said...

Oh, you write the best reviews! This one looks delightful!

Thanks for reading and your comment. All the best to your summer reading!

The Book Group said...

Such a great summer read! Definitely, one to make you think..and great time traveling too! Awesome review!

Samantha said...

What a fascinating-sounding read!! I like the concept of time travel, and seeing the contrast between her life as a young person versus older. I like this: "it glitters with the grit of New York City's club scene..." - I bet that's entertaining in itself! And a killer wardrobe and soundtrack - now that would make for a great movie indeed. :) Books that haunt you long after the last page are the best!

Hollyn'Stevie said...

Looks like a great summer read! I haven't looked for it yet, but I hope to soon. So glad you do these wonderful reviews ❤️

Emmylou said...

Ooooo...I like the premise of this book. I'm such a sucker for anything time travel...and yes...I loved The Time Traveler's Wife...LOLZ Thanks for the heads up on this:)

bread&salt said...

Yesterday, i bought very romantic novel series (their names: Pomegranate, snow and honey) for the summer reads. You shared book in this post looks great and romantic. It sounds really good. Thanks for the review. Greetings.