Tuesday, June 14, 2022

More Than Nerds: Sharks Mate for Life

Book people are the best people (yes, even better than fashion people).  So, when I started reading Emily Henry's latest, Book Lovers, I knew I was in for the kind of banter that burgeons between people who make their living in letters.

New York City publishing powerhouses Nora-named-for-Nora-Ephron Stephens and Charlie Lastra are an odd couple.  No, she's not a loveable kook whereas he's an acquired-taste curmudgeon, nor is she the straitlaced sophisticate to his irresistible man child.  Instead, both can be kindly described as stick-in-the-mud corporate sharks.  Although to be fair, only Nora is actually nicknamed The Shark.  So yeah, no Oscar, two Felixes.  In other words, these two are made for each other.

Not that they see it that way.  Or are even a couple.  Nora thinks that she's finally escaped her cold-hearted colleague when she and her sister land in rural North Carolina for some summer R&R.  But then Charlie rears his oh-so-handsome head just as Nora is hate-texting him, throwing her lazy vacay -- and her plans to snag a Hallmark hometown hottie -- for a loop.  Still, both Nora and Charlie are too prickly for most people to understand let alone tolerate, so it isn't long before they realize that they're cut from the same page proofs.  Not since Gone with the Wind has a story made such a strong case for "like goes with like."  So fine, they like each other.  But why should we like them?  (The last time I checked, people want to swim with dolphins, not sharks.)  Because they're book people.  And behind every book person is someone who's been hurt and found what she needed in fiction.  Nora puts it best:

"Daily life was unpredictable, but the bookstore was a constant.  In winter, when our apartment was too cold, or in summer, when the window unit couldn't keep up, we'd go downstairs and read in the shop's coveted window seat.  Sometimes Mom would take us to the Museum of Natural History or the Met to cool down, and I'd bring my shredded copy of From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler with me and think, If we had to, we could live here like the Kincaid siblings." (225)

It's the rare book that can drop inconvenient trope truths and retain its lighthearted status, but Book Lovers does it with style.  Because although it isn't easy for everyone to accept that opposites don't always attract, not all career women are heartless, and sometimes small towns are more depressing than darling, Henry shows us the world as it is but also as we'd like it to be, through the spell of her snarky-sweet prose.

Oh Henry, you've done it again.

13 comments:

ellie said...

Oh, so great to get your review. It is on HOLD a lot this summer at our library. Yes, this one certainly has a lot of character with the two LEADS. Such fun to read your take on the book. Thanks for the quote too. Emily is really on a roll. And it's great to see where she goes.>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<< Thanks for reading my intense summer of stories. Although, not even I thought I would take it that far with Valentina and Matty. Yet, after hearing stories from co-workers and friends I felt it was something to bring up. And for Matty, well I feel he's manning up in a whole different way. There are also Val's friendships to consider too. I sometimes feel some women's friendships are never really touched on..about how they really are.>>>>>>>>>

As I'm writing this our power almost bleeped off. We had a bad storm last night with 80 miles straight winds. ..about midnight then the hail came later..I am going to be a zombie at work..for sure.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

So glad to see this review. Yes, this is a moody book, but not too moody. I feel we get to see all the sides of her main characters. And it's interesting about the book store too. Sometimes, I feel they might be forgotten as time goes on. Unfortunately. I am on HOLD once again with this book. I hope I get it done. I do think it's one of the more enjoyable reads of summer.XXXXXXXXXXXXX Thanks so much reading about Tristan. Although, I don't know if it's completely his parents' fault. I feel the system has let him down too. Which is the case in many places. There are so many troubled people and not enough that can keep them accountable. Of course, this has to do with funds and places. Just when we might think Tristan is gone for good, he's not.

The Book Group said...

It just might be the book of summer..well, as in fiction reads, for some of us. Loved the review. Yes, I feel she gives us so many sides of small towns and much much more. Thanks so much 💕🌈💖

Better Left Unsaid said...

One has to wonder if this how to fall in HATE or out of it. Such a quirky book. And a lot to savor. Thanks for the review. >>>>>>>>>>>>> I am hoping to update this blog on Thursdays!

Cherry Blossoms said...

Wonderful review. Makes me want to finish this book now. Thanks so much!

Hollyn'Stevie said...

Oh, the days of summer. Henry does have some unique characters and how they love books. Great review. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thank you so much for your comments too. All the best with your summer reading and more.

Luda Tischenko said...

Great post. dear

Emmylou said...

I agree...book people are the best people:) And thanks for the review of Book Lovers! Sounds like a great read:)

Samantha said...

Fantastic book review!! I like the idea that these two characters are "too prickly for most people to understand" - yet that's exactly what makes them made for each other. There really is something about books, and your line here "behind every book person is someone who's been hurt and found what she needed in fiction." Brilliantly put, and very true when you really stop and think about it! :)

â„“aiâ„“a said...

This book sounds so lovely to read and perfect for summer. I really enjoy relaxing with a book so might have to give this a go.
Laila
www.lailanblog.blogspot.com

Lovely said...

Wonderful review! I will check it out.
xoxo
Lovely
wwww.mynameislovely.com

Marianela Beauty Tips said...

Thanks for sharing.
I invite you to visit my last post. Have a good week-end!

Better Left Unsaid said...

Truly a great book to take a vacation with. I had read a quote recently, a book is something to take you somewhere when you can't go anywhere and that's truly what I like about this book.

Thanks so much for your comment. It's good to write about Fan and of course, her family.

Happy Father's Day Weekend❤️