Sunday, February 5, 2023

The Fame Game: Rock Star Edition

Imagine that your husband is a talented yet struggling musician.  You hold down two jobs to support him and go to all of his gigs.  Both of you hope, pray, and plan for the day when he finally makes it big.  And then, after years of sweat and heartache, he does.  

And all hell breaks loose.  

That's the story of Brooke and Julian Alter in Lauren Weisberger's Last Night at Chateau Marmont.  No sooner has Julian finished his showcase performance than he's whisked away to LA.  There are interviews, parties, and photoshoots, and at first, Brooke wants to be part of them all.  But as Julian's life begins to resemble Nickleback's "Rock Star," complete with regular appearances in the gossip rag Last Night at Chateau Marmont, Brooke remains rooted in NYC.  Living on separate coasts is painful -- and seems to seal their fate as a couple.

Or does it?  Because as bigheaded as Julian can sometimes be (there were times when I wanted to strangle him!), deep down he's still the sensitive songwriter that Brooke fell in love with.  He still pukes before playing for a huge crowd and calls her by his pet nickname, Rook.  This isn't just a story about marriage -- it's a story about marriage and skyrocketing into the celebrity stratosphere.  After all, Weisberger wrote The Devil Wears Prada; her wheelhouse is exposing the ugly insides of glamorous industries.  And why not?  It's fascinating to witness what stardom can do -- and if it's possible to remain true to yourself while trending.  

Rife with early aughts references, Last Night at Chateau Marmont (which was published in 2010) takes on the eponymous Hollywood hotel, along with its legendary notoriety, and turns it on its head.  Because back in the day, rock stars' wives were seen and not heard, but modern love may be more balanced.

Sounds like a hit song to me.

6 comments:

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, who doesn't love a rockstar's story....I dunno. It wouldn't be the life for me, nor would I want to be mixed up with one, either. Yet, I think of songwriters I have longed to meet and yet they don't look like Harry Styles. This really looks like a story that gives you an in-depth look of the struggles of fame.❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️Thanks so much for your comments. I had just watched "Handsome Stewardess" which was a GL drama that lacked a lot, but I liked the lead and of course I had to imagine my own story.

ellie said...

So glad to see your review. Oh, I might have thrown the book across the room. I know, I have been watching too many dramas this weekend! Well..not really..I was at the library. It is interesting to see how musicians get where they are...and of course being married to one would be a great read too. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Thanks for your comments! Yes, Gage and Nora will they ever hit it off? This weekend was up into the 50's! Yeah! And I worked with a new co-worker. Thankfully, that went well.

ellie said...

p.s..about the snowplow story..I had heard that at Christmas from a friend of a friend. It was so sad, but the city is paying that family a huge amount of money after that accident.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

This looks really entertaining. So good to see your review. Oh, what a life it must be for both of them. And a story about marriage is always interesting too. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Thanks so much for your comments. Oh, I felt Dora and Delia were blending into one character so I thought it was time they got to be more of the story, too!

The Velvet Runway said...

Thanks for sharing your book review! I love the title!
Julia x
https://www.thevelvetrunway.com/

Samantha said...

What a cool read!! I like the concept of exploring how the rock star lifestyle can totally change a person, or if they can still maintain their roots somewhere in the midst of it all. That is neat that this author also wrote The Devil Wears Prada! I didn't know that. I now have "Rock Star" by Nickleback in my head, haha!!! That seems like the perfect song for this book! :)