Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Something New and Sparkly: A Cupcake and a Word on Collectors




Fabulous Felt Cupcake Headband

Dress: Kohl's
Jacket: Material Girl, Macy's
Shoes: Madden Girl, DSW
Bag: Harajuku Lovers, ROSS Dress for Less

I like to think that this outfit encapsulates all that is fierce and feminine about the cupcake.  (To those who quibble, "Fierce, huh?" I recommend CBS's cupcake-themed, anything-but-sweet "Two Broke Girls.")  The poufy pink skirt sort of looks like a pastry, meshing with this purple Fabulous Felt Cupcake Headband in a way that would make Barbie proud. 

In the spirit of creating and collecting and buying fashion items, I got it into my head that I wanted to address reality TV's love affair with people who like to accumulate things (a tenuous connection if ever there was one, but I'll go along with it if you will).  The bf was watching the History Channel's "American Pickers" the other night when he said, "This is like "Hoarders," except for with men in garages," to which I (good-naturedly) replied, "Yeah, except those guys get a pat on the back and a wad of cash while the women get reprimanded and tossed into therapy."  It's true.  I recently caught a few minutes of a "Hoarders" episode in which some poor Tupperware-happy woman was being forced to part with her considerable spatula collection.  Now, I didn't watch the rest of the show and so cannot attest to this woman's overall living situation or mental stability, but I couldn't help but be unnerved.  Because really, what harm can a few spatulas do?  Certainly no more than a heap of hubcaps rotting in some dude's backyard.  'Nuff said. 

No comments: