Sunday, March 4, 2012

Something New and Sparkly: My Kind of Math





Top: Material Girl, Macy's
Skirt: Gap
Shoes: Nine West, Macy's
Bag: Chinese Laundry, JCPenney





Top: Merona, Target
Skirt: Xhilaration, Target
Shoes: Material Girl, Macy's
Bag: Bisou Bisou, JCPenney

I'd never been a fan of math in school, but when it was time to take geometry, I thought that I might like it.  I mean, how could I not get into a subject devoted to shapes?  Very easily, thanks to those formula-ridden, impossible-to-solve proofs!

Years later, I've found all the geometric-inspired glamour I'd been missing in this Lucite Necklace from Erica Domesek's P.S. I Made This (yes, the very same tome that brought us last week's Big Ball Necklace.)  Fun and funky, the Lucite Necklace tackles a new style equation by taking triangle rulers from classroom to closet.




Here's the how-to.  It's mercifully much simpler than any math problem.

1. Snip a metal jewelry chain to the desired length.

2. Connect the triangle rulers to the chain with safety pins overlapping in the center.  P. S. Design your translucent treasure in different shades. Triangle rulers are available in pretty pink, baby blue, and yummy yellow.

I found my triangle rulers, etc., in these $1.00 sets at Five Below.  At that price, I sprung for the whole rainbow!  Not content to stick to the twin pieces of plastic pictured in the book, I strung up all five, then embellished them with rhinestones.  The result was large and in charge and electric.  And a tad bit pointy (it pays to close your eyes when slipping this one over your head).  Still mesmerized, I went on to make a slightly more wearable version with just three protractors. 

Take that, Pythagoras. 

1 comment:

Jewel Divas Style said...

Interesting necklaces. I failed maths at high school, it was just something I could not get my head around.