Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Flora Florentine

Sweater: Jessica Simpson Collection, Amazon

Bag: Betsey Johnson, Amazon

I got this sweater and handbag for Christmas.  Which came as no surprise, because they were on my Amazon wish list.  But what did surprise me was how well they went together, like a strange spring garden crawling with hippies and ladies who lunch.  And that got me thinking about the bag.  What if, like those well-heeled women, it looked all cool and in control, but on the inside was really a mess?  Like an exquisite flower arrangement days away from becoming fertilizer?  Once so acquainted, I felt compelled to name this baggage-burdened bag Flora Florentine.  And to tell her rambling rhyme of a story:  

Hi, I'm Flora Florentine,
The centerpiece of every scene.
I'm purple, yellow, orange, too;
My petals have the hues for you.

But once the wedding's over
Or the birthday cake's a crumb,
I go home with Aunt Ida,
And it's fairy tale to slum.

She waters me with Evian
The first day but runs dry,
Then drowns me in off-brand OJ
Until I choke and die.

That's when Fluffy slurps me up
And hacks me up outside
Into the slimy soil
Where the worms and critters hide.

I decompose into the earth,
Our mangled fibers mingling, 
And serve as slug and grub food
But end up stalwart and singing.

I stretch and smile in the sun,
A lovely, leafy thing,
An orchid, rose, or marigold
To tempt the bees to sting. 

Any moment, any day,
The gardening shears will flash
And I'll be plucked to join a bunch
For the next splashy bash.

Until that hallowed, happy time,
Until that golden then,
I'll wait for my big moment 
When I shine at table 10.

P.S. Fertilizer and Florentine or not, at least Flora isn't made of spinach like those sad eggs and chickens.

5 comments:

ellie said...

Oh, that fun imagination of yours! Wow, that's a trip! What a fun poem!

In love with that sweater! Amazing bag too! Such a wonderful Christmas!

Thanks so much for your comments. Of course, I wanted Jay to meet someone different I just wasn't sure how different. And it is interesting how I might have struck a chord or completely off-key with Vanna and Koda. Also how readers interpret it too. But we all have been there. I'm sure. Some notice more than others.

Well, it's only 1 degrees. It might be too cold for snow. Oh, how I wish we could just keep the library closed for another week or two..but life goes on. And two co-workers are back from having COVID.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Now that's a poem! & a story too! Thanks for giving me a smile this morning.

So glad the outfit goes so perfectly together! Hope your January is off to a great start!

Thanks for your comments too! Yes, Rico learns a little bit more about Tristan who's still with Mona. And then to have Gonzo around, too.

I hope you keep safe and warm too. We have another storm lurking. It might not be as bad as they say. And there are the 50's to forward to in a week or so.

Happy January!

Ivy's Closet said...

Such a great title to the post! Such a fun poem with instant character!

Oh, I am excited for you and how you'll incorporate these new items in your wardrobe! Lovely bag too!

Thanks so much for your comments. Oh, it's a cold one here. Let's hope the car starts this morning. I finally dug out a heavy-duty sleeping bag of a coat. Funny, I found coats I didn't even know we had.

It is really crazy these days. All the best to staying indoors and having lots of time for your creative projects!

Samantha said...

LOL!!! I absolutely love this! The line about the off-brand OJ totally cracked me up. You brought Flora Florentine to life with your creative poetry, and it's awesome that it all started with your lovely Betsey Johnson bag! The colors are stunning and the Lucky Lunar Necklace is so cool with the transparent clovers. Also, the tie-dye sweater is gorgeous with the pink and burgundy combo! Love what you wrote: "What if, like those well-heeled women, it looked all cool and in control, but on the inside was really a mess?" It proves, you really can't judge a book (or purse) by it's cover! :)

Jewel Divas Style said...

Don't you just love it when you buy separate items and then find out how well they match?