Thursday, January 20, 2022

Two Plaids, Four Fads, and a Rag Bag Revisited

Coat: So, Kohl's

I'm kicking off this post with a very cheesy -- but very necessary! -- line: so many plaids, so little time.  Because I was so excited about my new pair of plaid minis that I decided to build not one but two looks around each.  

First up is this purple skirt in an outfit we'll call "funky fur."  The skirt is preppy, but the color is kooky, and that's the part I decided to run with.  More mushrooms and My Little Ponies, please!

Yellow Garden Necklace

Top: Delia's, Dolls Kill

Barrettes: Dolls Kill

Bag: Amazon

Next is the same skirt styled in a more scholarly yet fairy kei way.  Looks like "pastel prep" to me!    

Sweater: So, Kohl's

Ring: (old school) Delia's; Barrettes: Dolls Kill; Mint bangle: Decree, JCPenney; Yellow bangle: B Fabulous

Skirt: Almost Famous, Kohl's

Sweater: Pink Republic, Macy's

And that brings us to my second skirt, this colorful flared affair from Delia's for Dolls Kill.

But first, a little tangent. 

A year or so ago, I bagged up some clothes to donate, shoved them in a closet, and promptly forgot about them.  I wasn't about to haul them off to Goodwill with COVID still surging.  But I recently went into that closet to get something else, saw the bag there, and thought, I wonder . . . 

I don't have to tell you that I was soon surrounded by a colorful sea of my so-called castoffs.  Rifling through those garments -- even the hideous ones -- gave me a lot of joy.  There were even a few pieces that were still kind of nice.  This is how hoarders get started, I thought, examining an almost brand-new pair of chocolate flats I'd once deemed too small.  I set them aside; I could make them work with pantyhose.  I also rescued a cutout black sweater that I could probably get away with over a tee shirt, a floral red button-down perfect for Zoom meetings, and, finally, the maroon, blue, and mustard sweater I'm sporting in this ensemble.  At the time, I thought the colors were too drab or collegiate.  But after fishing it out of the bag, I remembered how much I liked the fit and considered reinventing it with a bright bottom.  Enter this sunshiney plaid number!  When the husband snapped my pic in it, he said I looked like I was ready to head to Riverdale, which I loved.  Even though to me the vibe was more Mean Girls.  

Green bracelet: Parade of Shoes; Blue bracelet: Cloud Nine, Ocean City; Ring: Making Waves, Ocean City

Skirt: Delia's, Dolls Kill

Tights: Isadora, Zulily

Finally, I curated the same skirt in a different way, with an oversized pastel sweater and eclectic accessories.  The leopard pumps were another near-discard; they're a little big, which is why I'm rocking socks.  And then there are my crooked cobalt tights.  What is it about vertical-striped stockings, anyway?!  Sometimes the stars align and everything falls where it's supposed to.  But more often than not, no amount of twisting and untwisting can correct a configuration that's woefully catawampus, and I feel as uncoordinated as a kid who can't tie her shoes.  That's why I'm dubbing this outfit "unkempt kitsch."  It's a not-so-subtle reminder that things don't have to be perfect to be pretty.

Which is as good a mantra as any for this recovering perfectionist.

Bag: Betsey Johnson, Macy's

Flower barrette: Etsy; Bow barrette: Carole, JCPenney

Shoes: Journeys, Kohl's

Spider necklace: SHEIN; Love bangle: Boscov's; Choker: Mixit, JCPenney; Small bracelet: Cloud Nine, Ocean City; Large bracelet: Mixit, JCPenney; Barrettes: SHEIN

8 comments:

ellie said...

Oh, Christmas in January! Yes, I am like that..things I'm going to send to Good Will never make it. And I am in awe of why..why would I give it away!

Love the florals and plaids! Very cool leggings too!

Just been layering up here. A very long week of cold cold windchills! So glad you got the My Little Pony Barrets ❤ Thanks for the Friday post!

Ivy's Closet said...

Such a wonderful post! Oh, that Riverdale style which I am sure was inspired by MEAN GIRLS. I love what you've put together! Beautiful sweaters too! & of course, those little accessories that knock it out of the ball park!

Thank you so much for your comments. Oh, I think I just watched Gaspard grow up...It has been a tiring week. My computer crashed and it's taken the director and my boss to see if they can get it back to working at work..even if it was sent away a week with the City Tech guys. Finally, it's up and running but this time I lost all my templates and other things I had for work.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Such a great Friday post! Love the look! You are so inspiring! Oh, I want to mix it up! But I feel I am always in black or gray for work.

Thanks so much for being here. You always have such great commentary, too.

Samantha said...

So many plaids, so little time indeed - you can't go wrong with plaids, that's for sure! They're such a fun print, and your lilac purple one and the pink/yellow one are absolutely adorable. I love the way you styled each outfit; they all look completely different! The pastel prep is my favorite of the bunch (although they are all amazing!) The Yellow Garden Necklace is a show-stopper and those My Little Pony barrettes...eeeeeeee! The Suzy Snapshot Necklace is beautiful too and has a cool '90s vibe, and the variety of round charm sizes on the Teddy Confetti is whimsical and fun. I totally know what you mean about putting aside clothes you plan to take to Goodwill, then revisiting the bag only to realize there are some keepers in there you don't want to part with after all! Finally, the term "unkempt kitsch" is fabulous and you rock it so well; the outfit looks great and I love what you said here: "things don't have to be perfect to be pretty." Spot on!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

What an inspiring way you have with fashion! You put combinations together that I would never dream of doing, and yet it works, and you pull it off fabulously. I am totally crushing on that pink coat.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

You look adorable in all the outfits. I'm always intrigued with your colors and cheerful creations! Today my favorite is the blue sweater and the pink sweater. Alright, maybe not the ultimate favorite- I have to say the SHOES are fabulous! too. I'm not sure that I actually own any plaids!

bread&salt said...

All outfits you shared here look great and fit you very well Dear friend! Especially green bracelet looks amazing and very cute. I loved.

Jewel Divas Style said...

Nothing wrong with a good plaid skirt. If only I could wear mine.

And damn! A rollerskate bag....