Sunday, January 23, 2022

The Bad Old Cays: Another Maine Murder

The puffins on this book cover are adorable, the bright blue backdrop serene.  Even the girl clinging to the cliff edge for dear life has a comfortingly cartoonish quality.  But Leslie Meier's Invitation Only Murder, the 2019 installment in her popular Lucy Stone series, is more creepy than cozy.  

Reporter-slash-sleuth Lucy is at it again.  But this time she's ventured from the relative safety of Tinker's Cove to an island frozen in the nineteenth century.  Peculiar patriarch and billionaire Scott Newman has plunged his family, which includes his second wife, two sets of twins, and a skeleton crew of salt-of-the-earth staff, into the ultimate eco-warrior experiment: modern life minus modern conveniences.  No cell phones, TVs, or electricity.  Or, as they said on Gilligan's Island, not a single luxury (although even the Professor had a coconut radio).  Just miles and miles of pristine Maine countryside -- where no one can hear you scream.  

And you thought your family was crazy.

Scott claims it's all in the name of protecting Mother Earth, but his controlling ways suggest that something far more sinister is afoot.  And then someone turns up dead, with two more lost in the fog-shrouded forest.  I couldn't help but think that this setup of a strange, wealthy family marooned in the boonies had an air of Agatha Christie.  And when I got to the part where Lucy tries to talk herself off the ledge, my hunch was confirmed:

"Get a grip, she told herself, determined to resist the paranoia that seemed to be infecting the house.  This isn't an Agatha Christie story; people aren't going to disappear one by one, slain by a killer intent on avenging a past wrong." (167-168)

But rattled or not, Lucy isn't one to throw in the towel.  So, like Hercule Poirot, she puts her little gray cells to the test.  She's not a journalist for nothing; her ease with people and observational skills prove invaluable as she works to unmask the killer.  

Invitation Only Murder wasn't what I expected.  It's grimmer than the average Lucy Stone caper, going so far as to include a description of Scott's faithful servant laying out a dead body.  Nevertheless, I found it intriguing, spellbound by the eerie vibe and fog to find out if the good guys -- whoever they were -- would survive.

And also, at the very least, it made me appreciate Wi-Fi. 

8 comments:

ellie said...

Oh, such a great last line! This author is pretty popular in our Mystery section. Although, it's been a while since I have caught up with this author. What a great winter read! I so loved your fun review!

Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate them. It has been interesting plotting along..maybe. Of course, I am always wondering..who did I forget about.

Hopefully, winter is treating you right. Oh, my fingernails are rather brittle in the brutal weather.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Such a great write-up! It looks like a fun read. Although, it's funny how you'd like to know more about the Female lead in this than the actual mystery, sometimes. Thanks for making me want to go look for this author at the library now!

It seems I am trying to create a character from a character study. We shall see if anything comes of it. This means having to watch plenty of k-pop boybands...hahahaha..

Hope you are staying safe and sane these winter days ❤

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, it's so great to see how Christie has inspired so many mysteries! Sounds like a good one for these cold winter days. I am quite fond of these bookcovers. Such a delightful review indeed! Thanks for the wonderful Monday post!

Thanks for your comments too. I finally made it to 5 Below and it wasn't 5 Below outside. It really is a store you'll love or hate. And I did find a fuzzy bucket hat at half price. And bicycle shorts! Such great pockets for the phone! Of course, I dunno if I even know how to ride a bicycle anymore..but I got the leggings too!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

When I was young my favorite story book was about a puffin. I had never seen one (and I doubt that my mom or dad had either ) and truthfully I figured that puffins were fictional. Your review brought back memories that I haven't thought about in many many years.

bread&salt said...

Very interesting book! It looks like Agatha Christie's book-style but on the other hand "modern life, minus modern conveniences" situation is really interesting. Thanks for the review. Have a great newweek.

Samantha said...

What a spooky-sounding book!! The puffins on the cover are indeed, adorable - in contrast to the eerie plot. I can see why it would make you appreciate the good ol' Wi-Fi connection! I like the excerpt you included; it definitely expresses the thrill factor!! :)

Quiet and Sun by Alexa said...

I'm not sure if I like Agatha Christie read-a-like books. Always appreciate fast Wi-Fi.

Jewel Divas Style said...

Sounds interesting. I'll add it the list.