Thursday, January 6, 2022

Lordy, Lordy, Look Who's Forty

Skirt: Modcloth

Spoiler alert: it's me!  Yes, it's official.  Today I enter my fourth decade.  There was a time when I thought that meant a minivan and mom jeans.  Or, worse yet, humiliation in the form of a Grim Reaper-themed rager.

When I was seven, my uncle threw my dad a surprise party for his fortieth.  There were black balloons everywhere, and the walls were covered with tee shirts showing my dad struggling up a hill.  There was even one of those canes with a horn on it.  Everyone was having a wonderful time, laughing and scarfing down shrimp.  And I was incredibly angry.  How dare they make fun of my father like that and ruin his birthday with hideous decorations!  (Years later, I learned that my uncle wanted to hire a stripper but didn't because my sister and I would be there.  That would've been truly traumatizing.)  Anyway, my parents explained that there was no need to be upset, that the party was all in good fun.  And I begrudgingly accepted that, taking comfort in my enormous neon green hair bow and an endless stream of Shirley Temples.

So today, I'm celebrating my fortieth, not in black, but the way I celebrate everything -- in big, bold rainbow colors.  I may be older and wiser -- and have a few gray hairs -- but I still have the carefree fashion sense of that little girl in the green bow.

That said, if you ever catch me in a minivan, then the Grim Reaper has already arrived. 

9 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

It's funny how people used to view 40 as old. I enjoyed the story about your dad's 40th !!
Happy Birthday and enjoy this special milestone!

ellie said...

Happy Birthday! I'm so excited for you! I love this outfit. OH, you do have superb style! You need to celebrate all month! Bring on the Shirley Temples!

Look how far you've come! It looks like a beautiful occasion. Already!

Thanks so much for being here. Thank you for reading and all your comments too. Wishing you a beautiful new year 💖🤞

Ivy's Closet said...

So fantastic! You look all of 20 to me! Adore your fashion sense! Wishing you wonderful health and sweet surprises!

Such a great outfit! Sometimes, I think this is all harder on men. It's hard to say. I have had a few friends who were so upset at thirty. When my dad turned 40 he wouldn't speak to anyone for the day and my mom made an amazing German chocolate cake for him. Of course, he wouldn't dare look at it.

Stay the beautiful you! You are aging so well!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

What a beautiful Birthday Post! Happy Birthday! & many wishes of having fun with those you love. Dance! Dance! Dance! Even if it's in your kitchen.

Such an amazing outfit! Here's to fond memories and of course, all the great ones yet to make! Stay creative! Be you!

ON TOUR said...

Oh, what is your secret! So dazzling! All the best to a great birthday bash and much much more! Love the post!

Quiet and Sun by Alexa said...

No way! Happy Birthday and another 40 :)

Samantha said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!! You look absolutely darling in your outfit! How festive and fun alongside your birthday ribbon. Congratulations on making it to your fourth decade! Your story of your uncle's surprise birthday party for your dad is hilarious, and the neon green hair bow and endless stream of Shirley Temples is awesome. And, even more awesome is that you still have "the carefree fashion sense of that little girl in the green bow"! Your last sentence about the minivan cracked me up!

Królowa Karo said...

Happy Birthday!

Jewel Divas Style said...

Happy belated birthday! You're eight years younger than me and now in your fourth decade.