Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Be Mine to the Nines: One Enchanted Eating

A frilly, heart-shaped box of chocolates is like a girl gussied up for the prom.  So in other words, a bundle of nerves and expectations wrapped in ribbons.  (Did I mention that this particular prom takes place in the '50s?)  Will the quarterback ask Susie Q. to dance?  Or is she doomed to have her satin pumps stomped on by the hall monitor?  It's a gamble, and that box of chocolates, as Forrest so wisely told us, is no different.  Sometimes you score a strawberry center; other times you get stuck with a maple.

That said, here's my collection of Valentine's candy boxes.  I've shown off most of them over the years but thought it'd be fun to photograph them together.  They store accessories and serve as dรฉcor in my closet.  Which means that whenever I reach for a ring or brooch, I think of happy times and sweet treats.  Both of which are tastier than quarterbacks.

But never running backs named Forrest.

7 comments:

Rajani Rehana said...

Lovely post

ellie said...

Oh! So sweet! What a great way to use these. Love this! I have always been a sucker for Valentine's candy boxes too! These are so charming ๐Ÿ’– I hope you are having a good week leading up to...let's say Valentines Weekend.

Thanks so much for your comments! True Lindy is worrisome. But it's always fun to have stories like Lily and her Gram. So maybe it balances out. Hopefully.

Ivy's Closet said...

Adoring this post! Love the nostalgia of having these keepsakes. Such a great way to use these!

We went to a new bakery that opened yesterday. I did get a heart-shaped macaroon. Pretty steep price. Although, I want to go back and buy one of those little cakes..just because they are so adorable. I know I would have to share that with someone. But just us girls.

On the downside, we watched the police arrest a big fellow in the parking lot. That honestly does not happen every day in our burb.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

What a great title to this post ❤๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’• Love this idea. I think I used to just keep letters in some of my boxes, but who writes letters anymore?

I know I should send out some Valentines...cause some still like getting snail mail. Yet, can you trust the mail as of late.

This is such an inspiring post! Love it!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

What a great way to reuse pretty Valentine Candy boxes that bring back memories. Whenever I used to eat chocolates with different fillings, I would often take a bite and discard if it wasn't the filling I was looking for. Growing up in the 1950's ( leeks!~) .. it was customary for my mom to always have a box of chocolates on the coffee table. Everyone did and a bowl of unshelled nuts with a nut cracker. Fun post. enjoyed it.

Samantha said...

What a photo op!! I love Valentine's Day chocolate boxes too; it's a great idea to use them as storage for accessories! In fact, I do have a Valentine's Day box where I've stored many rings. I love the assortment you have; the golden-attired Disney Princesses are my favorite, along with the sequined one that swipes red or gold depending on which way you swipe it! (Also, the intro with the '50s prom storyline was super cute!)

Jewel Divas Style said...

Gorgeous boxes.