Sunday, February 27, 2022

Summer Stuns Before the Fall

Last night, long after John Mulaney's latest social commentary musical on SNL, I finished reading Jennifer Weiner's latest novel, That Summer.  If the title sounds familiar, then that's because Weiner's book before that was called Big Summer.  Although That Summer isn't its sequel, it does harbor an Easter egg.  

The book jacket doesn't say what it's really about, so maybe I shouldn't say either.  I will say that there are two strangers named Diana (although one goes by Daisy) who find out they share a disturbing bond.  What they decide to do about it will resonate with women everywhere.  

Here are two of my favorite quotes:

On Daisy.  Or rather, on what she thinks her daughter thinks of her:

"Worse, she suspected that Beatrice thought that cooking, cleaning, homemaking, all of what used to be called the domestic arts, were women's work.  A yoke that Daisy wore, of her own choosing, boundaries past which she did not stray; all of it part of a world that Beatrice and her generation had evolved beyond." (80)

On Diana.  Or rather, on what she thinks her coworkers think of her:

"She was sure her colleagues were engaging in some collective Baby Boom fantasy, where she was a bitchy, big-city ice queen who needed some salt-of-the-earth loving, maybe even a baby or three, to make her a woman again." (138)

Both women deal with female stereotypes that eat away at who they really are.  Just as both are victims of circumstances created by men.  Or, rather, by one man.  

To echo Michael Stipe, "Oh no, I've said too much.  I haven't said enough."

The end.

10 comments:

Jewel Divas Style said...

Sounds like a bit of a mystery. Two people, back stories. I've seen Jennifer's books all over the place and they're turning up in my local library. But, sadly, I don't have much time to read more books right now.

ellie said...

Oh, I have not read her in ages. I do like women's fiction best. It's good to see how much we do have to deal with. Although, I see some have such a good way of hiding it. Accepting it. Perhaps. Thanks so much for the review.

I didn't get to see SNL. Although, as I was getting ready to turn off the tube I did get to see the previous weeks musical performance of Lil Nas X raunchy performance. Um, I dunno ..perhaps I'm not sure what good entertainment is anymore.

I hope you had a good weekend. I need another day..but oh well. Thanks again for your comments. I guess I will move on to March now.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

I am sure this gave you a lot to think about. And I am sure you are glad you aren't in those situations. Often, I like to look at my great-grandmother's situations..and ponder..were they happy?

True, I think they were both in a rut. Yet, somehow they made the most of it. And although, I wasn't sure I could see their happiness. Somehow, they found the courage to deliver babies, make newborn lambs thrive, and possibly be a jack of all trades. Of course, I know it goes much deeper than that. It's amazing we aren't all insane..just a little zaney.

Thanks for the great review. It's good to know about this book. Also great to know what this author is up to.

Ivy's Closet said...

Awesome review. It does sound like some well-developed characters. Oh..it is usually the man's fault. Makes me think of those Taylor Swift songs I've been listening to in the car. I will have to look for this book. Of course, I hate housework. Yet, you can find solace and even being healthier by doing housework. So all things in moderation..I say..hahahaha..I don't even want to think about my closet.

I can't believe it's the last day of February. This has been such a fast month. At least URSTYLE didn't go under. Although, I couldn't use the items I had clipped. I have to reheart them. Always something. I did at least get some writing done and of course..started something new. But I'm trying to let it rest.

I hope you have a great March and a lot of inspiration on the way. Thanks again for being here. Thanks for your comments too.

ellie said...

P.s..Oh, I love Michael Stipe! Over the years I have had reoccurring dreams of meeting him in an old book store. The first one, he was holding a bible and he actually told me that's where he got his inspiration from. But then there were a series of dreams where he said nothing at all..or if he did I couldn't figure out what he was mumbling. Naturally, I would be so excited to see him but try my best not to be full of enthusiasm. I didn't want to scare him.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

P.s..now the pink heart sweater from Forever 21 is on sale, but I wish it was longer in the front.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I've been so busy that I haven't had much time for reading a good novel. I do believe that I read Big Summer- but haven't heard about this one. It's time for me to get back to reading instead of focusing on just Netflix shows,

Pattie said...

Great review! I have always enjoyed Jennifer Weiner. It’s time to get my summer reading book list together. Thanks for the jumpstart.

Mica said...

I have Big Summer on my list to request at the library but I haven't requested it yet - I should probably get to it if she already has another book out now, haha! It sounds like a really interesting book, thanks for sharing your review! :)

Hope that you are having a good week. The wild weather and storms are back here unfortunately, hopefully we do not get flooded in again!

Away From The Blue

Samantha said...

I love the two book quotes you included in your review; they definitely showcase how stereotypes unfortunately haunt women, no matter what path in life we choose to take, it seems!!