Thursday, February 24, 2022

Katy Keene, Valentine Queen

Skirt: Delia's, Dolls Kill

Shoes: Jessica Simpson Collection, DSW

Bag: Katy Perry Collection

Sweater: BCX, Macy's

Shoes: Betsey Johnson, DSW


Just when you thought Valentine's Day was over, Cupid drops off Katy Keene.  I found this one-season-wonder of a cancelled Riverdale spinoff on HBO Max and was hooked.  Having started life as an Archie Comic, Katy Keene's got the goods on dark glamour.  The intrigue!  The romance!  The fashion!  It's a drama that hits upon all the best and worst parts of being young and fabulous and broke in New York City, where someone just may be out to get you.  Title character Katy Keene (Lucy Hale) works as a personal shopper for the imperious Gloria Grandbilt (Katherine LaNasa) at Lacy's, a kind of spoof on Macy's, only much more high end.  But by night, she's a fashion designer, creating incredible one-of-a-kind costumes for her bestie Jorge (Jonny Beauchamp) to wear in his drag show.  It girl extraordinaire Pepper (Julia Chan) and new roommate Josie (Ashleigh Murray) -- yes, of Josie and the Pussycats fame -- round out Katy's coterie.  And then there's her hunky boyfriend KO (Zane Holtz), who's been by her side since high school.  Despite being a boxer with his own big dreams, his top priority is always his girl.  Yet for Katy, settling down with KO starts to seem less like a fairy tale ending and more like a middle working class rut.  What's more, despite Katy's pluck and determination, trying to break into fashion is fraught with struggle and heartbreak.  But perhaps her most daunting obstacle of all is finding out her dead mother's secret.  

Okay, so that's all very riveting.  But why is Katy Keene the Valentine queen?  Because she wears her heart on her sleeve -- and on her skirt and shoulder.  The girl hearts hearts, just like her mother before her, a flair affair reflected in her over-the-top outfits.  Peter Pan-collared tops, capes, and other feminine garb in red and pink fill Katy's closet.  Her look is very iconic, very bold, very glam noir comic book, befitting a dazzling denizen of the Archie universe. Yet more importantly, like all the best fashion, it tells the world who she is.

That's why it's so, er, disheartening when Katy falls in with (and to be a bit of a spoiler, under) misogynistic designer Guy LaMontagne (Luke Cook).  Successful but insecure, he preys on his young female apprentices, stealing their sketches and telling them what to wear.  In Katy's case, this means no hearts because they remind him of his nemesis, Gucci.  Not wanting to risk her career, Katy complies, pivoting to striking but soulless black.  Although she still looks fab, we know that her light's gone out.   

The series ends with a hopeful yet classic cliffhanger.  But I wanted more.  I don't know why the CW canned such a great show, but it's not like I haven't been there before (Good Girls, Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist, At Home with Amy Sedaris, that other Lucy Hale show Life Sentence . . .).  TV isn't always built to last, much like a honeymoon or every Bath and Body Works scent you ever loved.  So that's why we need to appreciate it while it's around.  My sister likes to think of a single-season show as a really long movie.  And when it ends ambiguously -- as it always does -- she leans into the ending she wanted.  Which is a lovely way to watch TV.   

And to live.

So, Katy Keene, Valentine queen, I say that you and KO rode off into the sunset after you became a  fashion designer bigger and better than Guy and Gucci combined.

And also that Guy got herpes. 

10 comments:

ellie said...

Oh my..what a last sentence! Oh, if only these shows would go where you wanted them too. I have heard of it, but well..I don't know if I would ever get around to it. Always great to see Lucy Hale! & fashion! Lov'n those Jessica Simpson pink pumps! Such a lovely sweater too. Awesome fashion! Hope you have a good weekend. There is a promise of warmer weather tomorrow. I hope it gets here. We've had the cold and some snow hoping it keeps those grass fires at bay.

Thanks again for your comments! March will be here before we know it. Stay warm and cozy!

Ivy's Closet said...

I will have to think more like your sister with these short lived shows! This does sound really fun. I finally started C-Drama Thank Your Lucky Stars which has to do with fashion design and a fashion magazine. I'm glad I did..it's much better than I thought it would have been.

Love all these hearts! And it's great to see Lucy got such a cool character, too.

Happy Weekend!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh Wow, I wasn't expecting this. I love all this heart fashion! I will be on the lookout for this one. I have not watched this show. Adoring your necklaces and more! Such a wonderful Friday post!

I hope you are staying well and reading lots of wonderful books. I had to make up hours..so yeah, I am so ready for the weekend.

Thanks so much for reading and your comments too. Thanks so much for being here.

R's Rue said...

Love the shoes. The pink color.

Quiet and Sun by Alexa said...

I love those pink shoes <3

Quiet and Sun by Alexa said...

I love those pink shoes <3

ellie said...

Thank you so much for the comments! So love those "Swans" of yours! Remi is actually (Victoria's sister) Melissa's ex..who has moved on to Yuki. As for Vanna & Koda..well, we all have our quirks. And I guess a lot of my friends have boyfriends who go through those phases yet they don't feel the need to dress up quite like Harry Styles. Also, I saw Conan Grey (Koda) in a dress...so I guess I was inspired..heheee.. URSTYLE was down for 3 days! But it is back up again..thankfully. I had watched all these well..not so great BL dramas from Thailand..so naturally I was thinking..huh..I could do better...hmm..maybe. So I'm thinking on it. Although, with URSTYLE down I of course had to put some kind of collage together. Anyway, I won't bother too many with the story. I'm glad some can find a way to read what odd stories I do put together. Hopefully they aren't staring at the screen shouting WHAT!

Samantha said...

Your outfits are super cute (especially love that red belt with the blue skirt!) and the accessories are fabulous; that 'miss you' bag is totally cool! Those Betsey Johnson jewel shoes are stunning, as well as your lovely necklaces!! The Katy Keene show sounds entertaining and full of fashion fun (I loved seeing the comics in the Archie books). "TV isn't always built to last, much like a honeymoon or every Bath and Body Works scent you ever loved." - Soooo true! Also, the last line of your post made me laugh!

Jewel Divas Style said...

I was concentrating on those pink Betsey shoes...

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I enjoyed your review, but I don't get HBO so I won't be able to look for it. Now to the outfits and shoes. I'm always wowed by the shoes on your posts and today I'm LOVING those hot pink Jessica Simpson shoes. I'm also attracted to the swoon and back colorful necklace (as well as the cleverness of the name) I can always enjoy and extension of Valentine's Day!