Friday, February 11, 2022

The Head and the Heart: You're So Vein


Dress: Trixxi, Kohl's

Pretty Pastries Necklace


Strawberry clip: Delia's; Rainbow necklace: Ocean City, Cloud Nine; Yellow necklace: Sonoma, Kohl's; Bow barrette: Carole, JCPenney

Dress: POPSUGAR, Kohl's


Top: Candie's, Kohl's

Oh, Deer Necklace

With Valentine's Day upon us, it seems appropriate to mention this: It's funny how pretty, perky, heart-shaped things look nothing like their namesake organs.  Not that you'd want them to and end up buying a blouse emblazoned with blood vessels or a valise sprouting ventricles.  Anyhoo, it makes a strange sort of sense that our idea of the heart's job is just as jumbled as our notion of its appearance.  We say things like, "You're thinking with your head instead of your heart," even though we know that all thoughts and feelings, however illogical, are brewed in our brains.  And that, despite the smug tone of the aforesaid saying, the decisions inspired by our emotions are sometimes the smartest.  

Who knows, maybe I was subconsciously thinking all this when I made these heart barrettes to wear on -- where else? -- your head.  There's something satisfying about reconciling the rational with the romantic by making a cute accessory to show off the noggin.  Specifically, my noggin (although rest assured that these barrettes aren't the ones in my shop; hygiene first, people.).  After all, there are few things in this world I heart in quite the same way as a selfie.     

And as any musician or blogger will tell you, there's more than one way to be vain.

8 comments:

ellie said...

Thanks so much for your Valentines' edition! I so love hearts! And love them all year round. So many wonderful and pretty accessories! I do love your spin on the head and heart aspect, too. I hope you have a sweet weekend. and of course, there is the SuperBowl too. But I only actually watch for the commercials.

Thanks so much for the comments. Of course, I always want couples to resolve their issues, but sometimes leaving can be the answer. Of course, the rest of the month might be more anti-valentine-like.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, such a glorious Valentine post! Such great color and so much more. Thanks for putting your heart into this one! Love the dresses and of course, those hearts are so adorable! I am so into HEARTS! Thanks so much! I hope you guys are having a better winter too.

Quite deceiving here. Sunny, but a cold wind! Yet, better than some Februarys. We usually get a lot more snow during this month, but it's been rather warm and oh so dry.

Well..I shall see if I did or didn't go far enough in my next part of the story. Although, I had the most fun writing about Cyrus and Pixie.

Ivy's Closet said...

Adoring this! Such great playful color! Love the hearts! I hope you are having a super fun weekend! You definitely gave me a lot to think about with this post. Oh, I remember those days of my grandmother telling me how I should really think about boys. She always made them seem as if they might be werewolves and vampires, and it was up to me to keep them at bay.

So love the patterns in the dresses and the necklaces too.

Thanks so much for reading my little shorts. Oh, sometimes it's hard to know just what I'll find, or come up with.

Happy Valentines' Weekend πŸ’–πŸŒΈπŸ’•❤️🀞

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

You are so creative and have made some beautiful colorful heart themed jewelry. I love the idea that your broach can be used for the hair or as a broach- so clever and practical. I love the little Bambi on the heart on that heart themed necklace too.

R's Rue said...

Love it.

Quiet and Sun by Alexa said...

Cute barrettes. I like the idea of wearing heart on the head where our logical thinking should be :)

Samantha said...

Aggghhhh!!! I love all of your Valentine's inspired outfits/accessories! First off, the Pretty Pastries Necklace is dazzling! It looks especially striking with your white floral blouse and your beautiful Caramel Candy barrette. The red and yellow outfit is super cute and so is the third outfit; I love the pairing of the Heart of Hearts barrette and deer necklace! That deer is so cute, and the yellow against the pink really pops. The Oh, Deer necklace is one of my absolute favorites you've ever made! Finally, I enjoyed your writing about the 'head vs. the heart' and how funny it is that the cute hearts we know and love look nothing like the real deal! Thankfully!! ;)

Jewel Divas Style said...

And we also get a small spy into your closet.