Sunday, February 13, 2022

My Book Club, My Boyfriend

They say that if you have a boyfriend, then you don't need a book club.  And that if you have a book club, then you don't need a boyfriend.  Okay, so no one says either of those things.  But I can see how someone might, given the therapeutic qualities of good books and men.  It makes me think of the Waldenbooks Valentine's ad that stole my heart back in the day: "Books don't care when you read other other books."  So titillating, yet so profound.  

Speaking of which, I recently read two books back to back, and neither one batted an eye.


First, there was Beth O'Leary's The Road Trip.  A dark rom com complicated by a codependent bromance, it's hilarious and heartbreaking, with an undercurrent of the absurd.  It's also unexpectedly layered, and as such, a ride you won't soon forget.


Then there was Leslie Meier's Valentine Candy Murder, a two-for-one special containing Valentine Murder and Chocolate Covered Murder in one festive pink package.  These whodunits are more conventional than The Road Trip -- if you consider crime conventional.  Which I do, at least within the confines of a cartoonish cozy.

The point is, it's important to read different genres at different times to get what you need.  Sometimes life calls for a romance.  Or a mystery.  Or a memoir by an arachnophobic zookeeper.  That's why, even if you have the best boyfriend this side of Bridgerton, you should join a book club.  I mean this, of course, metaphorically.  You know better than to think that I advocate socializing over escaping into a page turner solo.

Crazy or not, Thoreau was on to something.  

5 comments:

ellie said...

Now that's variety! Imagine mashing these two up..you know, like they do with songs? Definitely, a peculiar dream. Of course, I like to imagine my on book club and how wonderful it would be at the back of a coffee shop near a fireplace in the winter with a variety of people. Although, the one I went to and actually had to moderate once upon a time was at the library's large room full of old ladies. But there was coffee and cookies..what could go wrong? I was too enthusiastic. Evidently. I had brought along a questionnaire about the book..another NO-NO.

Thanks so much for this post! I so enjoyed it!

Thanks for your comments too. I know..poor Brick. How could I?

Caitlin'nMegan said...

This was definitely a good weekend to read books back to back. Wow! Thanks so much for these two. Most definitely, it's great to change it up. I do love a good mystery.

Thanks so much for your comments. OH, THOSE BOOTS..when I saw someone walk into the library in some boots similar to those I couldn't help but watch. I was glad I was wearing a mask. Although, it was a little depressing to watch too. They were alone and I could tell needed a friend too.

Happy Valentine's Day 💖🌸❤️💕

Ivy's Closet said...

Such a delightful post! Oh, it is interesting about book clubs. I think of the friend who wanted to find a boyfriend at a book club. That would be rare.

Our library just started a Nerd Book club which is about Science Fiction and Comic books so there are a lot more guys at that one. We also started one Which is better the book or the movie? But it wasn't where you could watch the movie together. And that person since then has moved on to a new library.

One of my favorite short-lived series is The Book Group (Scotland). The person who starts the group is American and it stars GOT's Rory McCann and he's in a wheelchair because..let's face it..he's taller than anyone there. And James Lance's performance is priceless. Of course, they rarely get around to even talking about the book.

Happy Valentine's Day! Thanks so much for being here and for your wonderful comments too!

Samantha said...

Variety in book genres is always fun!! I especially love the cover of the "Valentine Candy Murder" - super girly AND dark! Also, the first two photos of the floral prints are absolutely stunning! The polka dots are gorgeous with the flowers in the foreground (and they also match your dress in your blog profile photo!) ❤️

Jewel Divas Style said...

I think at some point I'll have to start reading her books.