Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Air in the Heart, Hearts in the Air

Over the years, I've read lots of historical fiction by Beatriz Williams.  Yet I can't recall a single novel that reimagined a real-life icon.  So when I picked up Her Last Flight, I knew I was in for an, ahem, departure.  Because as its weighty title suggests, this book explores the age-old question: What really happened to Amelia Earhart?

And you thought I was kidding when I made that crack about an Earhart girls trip.  

In some ways, the premise is simple.  Because although a lot of things happen in this book, they're all rooted in this: Just Amelia, or as she's called, Irene, and her mentor Sam on a desert island.  Nothing to do and nowhere to go, the seconds ticking away on the time bomb of when-will-they-do-it?  It's an old trope, lending characters' fantasies a license they wouldn't otherwise have.  Not that it's salacious.  Oh, no.  Williams is nothing if not classy, shrouding the rendezvous in so much secrecy that you'll wonder if it even happened.  

Told in two timelines, Her Last Flight spans the late '20s to '40s to laud and deconstruct a legend.  Sparkling with Williams' signature twists, it's an old-fashioned love story, one imperiled by fate and fame.  Romantic and suspenseful, it has all the elements of good historical fiction.  Still, I can't help but prefer Williams' other novels, especially the Schuyler sisters series (although now that I think about it, Tiny Little Thing may be a tiny nod to Jackie O.).  Maybe because they allow Williams to color more boldly outside the lines.  Or maybe because I'm not big on being a passenger in an airplane, much less the pilot.  Either way, Her Last Flight is less of a girls' trip and more of a brunch.  You know.  Perfectly enjoyable, but you're a little too full after forcing that third croissant.  

I do still wonder what happened to Amelia, though.  Because I'm with Williams in her hope that the clouds she flew through at least had a silver lining.

13 comments:

Sakuranko said...

Oh very good book

camdandusler said...

Thanks for your sharing...

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

You write a great review- thank. The book does sound interesting and I am a fan of historical fiction. As for Amelia? We may never know.

The Book Group said...

She is definitely one historical figure that will always intrigue me. Such a pioneer in her field. Especially, in a Man's World at the time. Great to read your review.

Ivy's Closet said...

I haven't read this one, but it is a history that I would like to know more about. Oh, I did wonder what you had in mind when you left that quote in an earlier post...=). Sounds like a very cool historical read!

Better Left Unsaid said...

Wow, I have thought of Amelia in quite a while. Good to know about this historical fiction. Thanks for the wonderful review. Very intriguing, indeed!

Hollyn'Stevie said...

Such a wonderful review. A great time to read this on these cooler nights we are having. Thanks so much. A history we can't forget. Especially, the mystery of Amelia! Thanks so much for being here. Thanks for your comments too!

ellie said...

I really like the idea of this book. It brings a certain kind of romance of what it was like back then along with historical facts and mystery. I will definitely put it on my list!❤️🍁🍂☕We have had a few fall evenings. Yet, there are fires in west Nebraska so the skies are gray. Thanks for your comments. Oh, September marches on, maybe I'll get in a dance or two in my stories too. Thanks again for your comments.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

So good to see your review. I was wondering what this was going to be about. It does look like a book that everyone should read. I wasn't that familiar with the author. I don't read that much historical fiction either. Thanks so much for review. Hope your September reading is going well. ☕🍂🍁🍒☕ Oh, it is funny how I had planned a character differently, but suddenly decided to go with how I felt about certain someone. Hopefully, I can figure this situation out.

Cherry Blossoms said...

Oh, Earhart is such a pioneer. Yes, she will definitely always be a mystery. So good to read your review. Definitely, a book I need to find. Thanks for the wonderful review 💕☕🍒

Samantha said...

And here I was thinking you were kidding about an Earhart girls trip!! How cool that this book reimagines a real-life icon, playing on the mystery behind Amelia's famous disappearance. The romance twist is a cool addition to the story, and makes you wonder what really happened to her. I like how you ended it with, "Because I'm with Williams in her hope that the clouds she flew through at least had a silver lining." Beautifully said!

Better Left Unsaid said...

It does look like a history we really need to understand more. And such an exciting time too. Awesome review!

Jewel Divas Style said...

It's a mystery that's constantly talked about. Did she crash? Or did she land on an island, or in another country, and never leave?