Thursday, September 8, 2022

An Alpine Adieu and an Ode to Books Too


Reading a favorite book series is like catching up with an old friend.  They tell you their problems, and you tell them yours.  Maybe you're still processing that Corvette that cut you off, or the look that the lunch lady gave you when you said that your mashed potatoes absolutely, positively could not touch your Salisbury steak.  And the books listen without judging you or spilling your secrets or asking for anything in return.  That's why books make the best friends.  And that goes double for whodunits, where discretion means staying on the right side of the law -- not to mention the cemetery.    

So it was with mixed feelings that I began reading The Alpine Zen, the last book in Mary Daheim's Alpine cozy crime series.  Although I was excited to find out how things would end up for journalist-extraordinaire-slash-sometimes-sleuth Emma Lord, I didn't want to say goodbye to Alpine and all the fun, suspense, and comfort that it's given me over the years.  Because a little intrigue and a familiar cast of characters -- no matter how backward or crotchety -- go a long way toward dissolving those day-to-day doldrums.  

Next up: girls trip with Amelia Earhart. 

7 comments:

camdandusler said...

Thanks for your sharing...

ellie said...

Oh, the cover is very enticing too. Yes, it's always the best to go back to a series and visit the supporting cast and more. This looks like such a wonderful cozy. 🥤🥤🥤🥤🥤🥤🥤Thanks for reading and your comments. Yes, lets hope I can go on with Jay's troubles...=)

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, it looks like you are right in the cozy zone with this one! Looks like a great way to start your September reads. ❤️🍂❤️🍂❤️🍂❤️ I guess one turn of events can change things for other characters too..as in Caitlin and Deano's wedding. Thanks for your comments and thank you so much for reading. Happy Friday!

Ivy's Closet said...

This author is quite seasoned. And she must love this main character of hers, and it shows. Thanks so much for this delightful review! I loved that last NEXT UP, too. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thanks so much for your comments. I am always wanting to recast some shows. hahahahaa...And of course, my last minute story telling...especially, this weeks. I can't see myself on a cruise. I would needs months of preping on what to wear and of course, new luggage.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I love how you described the reading series being best friends. Such an interesting and heartfelt way to look at it. I'm not a fiction reader ( I like historical novels and biographies) but watch Netflix for my series! Such a beautifully written post. Thanks.

Samantha said...

What an awesome book cover; I love the sugar skull!! I get what you mean about not wanting a book series to end - it definitely gives you mixed feelings. I agree that "books make the best friends", and the way you described the relationship between people and books is spot on! "Because a little intrigue and a familiar cast of characters -- no matter how backward or crotchety -- go a long way toward dissolving those day-to-day doldrums." Bingo! And a girls trip with Amelia Earhart - I'd definitely read that! :)

Hollyn'Stevie said...

Oh, I haven't read this kind of cozy in ages. It's time to revisit! Hope your weekend is good.