Tuesday, September 20, 2022

From Page to Stage (er, Screen): Run, Don't Crawl to the Cove

When it comes to books vs. movies, the book is (almost) always better.  But the film adaptation of Where the Crawdads Sing is a near doppelganger of Delia Owens' masterpiece.  I say this because when the music started to swell over the marsh, my personal waterworks sprung a leak.    

Daisy Edgar-Jones (Normal People) stars as Kya Clark, the little girl-turned woman who raises herself in the wilds of North Carolina.  Sensitive yet steely, she's exactly who I imagined, her refinement and reverence for nature defying the town's crude opinion of her.  The rest of the cast is spot on too, with Taylor John Smith as the earnest Tate Walker and Harris Dickinson as arrogant Chase Andrews.  

That said, the movie is less gritty and violent than the book.  And although this detracts from the horror that helped shape Kya's worldview, it highlights the parts of the story that are charming yet enshrouded in mystery.  In other words, it's Nicholas Sparks-meets-Agatha Christie -- in the most wonderful way.  To make for a trifecta of icons, Taylor Swift's "Carolina" accompanies the credits, translating the haunting feel of Owens' unforgettable pages.      

So if it's eerie enchantment you crave, then this is the flick for you.  And if not, then no need to grouse about it.  

There are plenty of other crawdads in the marsh.

8 comments:

ellie said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. A friend from one of the Carolinas said the film really presented the area well. Sounds like a great cast choice too. I am sure it will get a lot of awards too. Hope you got to see the film with family too. πŸ‚❤️πŸ’• Thanks for your comments! And thanks for reading. Possibly, Mercer has more anxieties than Cade. Of course, the history of fighting alone is quite a mystery too. Hope you are gearing up for a great October. It is getting dark so early now. Maybe I do need that time change. I never thought I would say that.

Ivy's Closet said...

Somebody was telling me how much they loved the movie too and were shocked they would love it so much. Sounds like an amazing soundtrack too. It really is hard to find a good movie these days. Especially, when all these horror ones are coming out. Thanks for the movie review!πŸ‚πŸ’•πŸ‚πŸ’•πŸ‚ WE have a cold front moving in..it just might be sweater weather. Yesterday, it got up to 100..it was definitely sweater weather inside.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Sounds like this one is a winner. And Taylor Swift's song is perfect for it too. Great review! I really liked the last line! I am hearing from a lot of people I see who come to the library how much they loved it and are now checking the book out again. And now we have the movie you can check out too. πŸ‚πŸ‚πŸ‚πŸ‚πŸ‚πŸ‚πŸ‚πŸ‚πŸ‚ Thanks so much for reading and your comments. Oh, I am sure I have too many things happening. Thanks again for being here. & all your inspiration❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

The Book Group said...

I am glad you loved the movie! I am glad they adapted it well. Sounds like a wonderful production! Loved the review ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ About Shelly, well she's been in foster care and the closest parent was the book shop owner. & for the Lucy Score books..hmmm. I don't think our director will let those fresh donations come to light. Although, I know plenty would put her books on hold.

Samantha said...

That's awesome that you watched the movie after reading the book; and even better that it was a near doppelganger of the book!! It's always iffy waters when it comes to film adaptations of books, but sometimes the differences can work. Glad you enjoyed the film and that it was able to stir you emotionally! :)

Mor Düşler Kitaplığı said...

It looks interesting. Thanks for your review :)

Sakuranko said...

Oh very good review, I have not read anything from this author yet

Jewel Divas Style said...

I've been seeing the book since it came out and people have raved about it. Now there's a movie. The storyline seems a little odd and off to me. I know little kids can sort of raise themselves, but it just doesn't seem right.