Monday, December 5, 2022

Crime Fiction Affliction: Making it Write

My sister's book club pick was Finlay Donovan Is Killing It, by Elle Cosimano.  It's a murder mystery, so I was into it from go.  That said, it's a little grittier than my usual cat-lady-slash-vigilante whodunit fare.  Allow me to explain.

Finlay Donovan is a writer and single mother who's losing at life.  Her ex-husband is a nickel-and-diming Lothario, her kids cause constant chaos, and her romantic suspense novels barely pay for pizza.  To top it all off, now some rando at Panera thinks that Finlay's a hitwoman and wants to hire her to kill her husband.  And she won't take no for an answer.

I don't know about you, but this makes my worst day look like lunch at The Plaza.

Cosimano's style is sharp, irreverent, and dare I say sassy.  She takes us on a raucous ride involving mob bosses, sexy cops, and one fast-talking babysitter.  By having Finlay fight writer's block and crime, Cosimano elevates the starving artist trope to survival.  

Also, there's a sod farm. 

I'd be lying if I said I was more comfortable with Finlay than her small-town sleuthing sisters.  But I enjoyed the faster, flashier pace in Finlay Donovan Is Killing It.

Because sometimes even country mice need to take a side trip to the city.   

13 comments:

camdandusler said...

Thanks for your review:)

ellie said...

Oh, I do find this author so intriguing. I don't know how she does it. She's a page-turner. Thanks for the review. I hope you guys had a great time at the book club. ❤️❄️πŸŽ„❤️❄️ About this medication..it seems I'm right on target about what it's supposed to do since they are so, 'Oh you've tolerated it so well, give it some time' attitude. Evidently, I think I might have to be pretty listless before they do too much. Then I found out my boss's hubby has fainting spells. December is just getting crazy. And of course, I have now put Yuki in danger..

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, I do want to read more of her work. It really has that 'good girls' vibe to me, yet totally different too. Yes, this author is keeping it real and yet fun at the same time. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Oh, He Was in a BoyBand was supposed to be a writing prompt for a contest I was running on Urstyle, but didn't have many takers, I'm afraid. Although, I think I enjoyed it trying to come up with examples. Hope your December is going well. Hopefully, I get my energy going and behave myself during the holidays. ❄️❤️πŸŽ„❤️❄️

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

"Lunch at the Plaza." I laughed out loud at that one! I do love your reviews. I've also added this to my list. I used to be a cat lady mystery type of person ( a true Lilian Jackson Braun devotee) but these days I'm more into Scandi noir. That said, you have made this book sound irresistible.

Sakuranko said...

Oh very nice plot

Samantha said...

Wow, what a read!!! First off, I love the tagline on the book cover! So clever and funny. Secondly, "now some rando at Panera thinks that Finlay's a hitwoman and wants to hire her to kill her husband." What a plot! This sounds like a fun mystery read with a lot of sass. I'm glad you enjoyed your sister's book club pick! ❤πŸ˜€πŸ“š

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, she is an author I really want to read more of. Thanks for the fabulous review! Hope your week is going well. πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„Mine seems to be getting better. Although, I'm a bit on the outs with my so called boss, but we always have our struggles. Oh, an a ice storm that fizzled. I guess that's OK. More time to shop, yet there are so many place I won't go either. All the best to your creativity. Thank you so much for reading and your comments, too!

Better Left Unsaid said...

Someone I was wondering if you liked or not. Very cool review. Thanks so much! Hope you are getting some good reads for the month. >>>>>>>>>Oh, thanks so much for your comments. Hope you guys are staying warm and toasty and lots of hot chocolate.

Hollyn'Stevie said...

Such a fabulous review. So good to read it. Thanks so much. I will definitely look into this seriesπŸ’•πŸ„πŸ’•πŸ„

The Book Group said...

This one looks like a page-turner. It made me smile to read your review!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Cherry Blossoms said...

So good to find your review. Loved that last line too❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ Thanks for your comments!

bread&salt said...

I havent known anything about the this writer before but Elle Cosimano's books are so popular in Amazon and people love her books alot in here. Thanks alot for the review.

Kinga K. said...

I love reading books, great post. Have a fantastic weekend!