Sunday, December 11, 2022

Light Plight Turned Delight: Christmas is Coming


It's no secret that I get overwhelmed by Christmas decorating.  Because unless you want to hang your garland along with a year's worth of spider webs, first you have to clean.  And if you're anything like me, then once you start, you realize just how disgusting your house is.  It's a real if-you-give-a-mouse-a-Christmas-cookie situation.  Nevertheless, yesterday I started decking out the fireplace, then moved on to the tree only to discover that my (albeit ancient, slightly leaning, floor model) pre-lit specimen needed a little more hot buttered rum (hashtag drinking-puns-from-a-teetotaler).  Good thing I already stocked up on lights:  

Lights: Sylvania, Hobby Lobby

Then again, I bought these to replace the extra strands that I add (I like a lot of lights), which had also died.  Sigh. 

Yet despite my borderline bah humbug attitude, I don't hate Christmas.  Oh, no.  I love Christmas.  And so I want it to be special and can never do it (or anything else I care about) halfway.  Is it any wonder that one year I got so stressed out I didn't put up a tree at all?!

When the husband got home from work, I told him about our low-wattage situation.  And he said, "Did you plug everything in?"

Um, what?  Wasn't there just the one plug?

Evidently not, because in a blink we had this:


Which just goes to show that things are never as bad -- or as dim -- as they seem.  Also that, like a toddler, I shouldn't be trusted with outlets.  

Anyhoo, time to bust out the ornaments!  The newest are these cacti and French fries, just a few of my favorite things. 🌡🍟

Ornaments: Wondershop, Target

So, here's to merry mishaps that melt into, not springs, but succulent surprises.  

And to jacking up the electric bill Griswald style.  

7 comments:

camdandusler said...

What a cute details :)

ellie said...

Oh, how funny! Yes, it does take two or more to get that tree up. So lovely! I'm afraid we are just down to a mini-tree on the table in the corner..but you know..so much cleaning is involved..as of yet, I'm not sure I can even get to the corner. Like every year I procrastinate about the hat making. I don't wanna do it. And sure enough someone will ask, "Didn't you make me a hat this year?" Still, its out..you may or may not get one. I hate to tell them, I'd rather be writing..and even that I feel very behind in, as well. This looks divine. I'm so glad you guys could work on this together. Thanks for your comments..hopefully I'm not dubbed as "the most depressing time of the year!"

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh, I love it. Go you! I dunno, I used to have Christmas going on Thanksgiving, but not so much anymore. Love this!πŸ’•πŸŽ„❤️πŸ’•❤️πŸŽ„It is interesting what inspires me. And the more I wrote the grimmer it was. Everyone can get on a ledge and usually we put ourselves there..like in Jade's case with Tristan or maybe with Ari. Of course, Rox's story was from someone I know, who just recently told me all this. All I could say was, "Well, you're the Thanksgiving miracle. Stop doing stuff like this."

All the best to a lot of merriment on it's way! Love the succulents too!

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, the cleaning..yes, I am the worst! Love the results. Such a fun post! So glad you have the tree up. Definitely, a great weekend to do it. Although, I feel a storm will roll in before I get all the Christmas shopping done. It's hard to decide on anything. Definitely, a time for peace, love and understanding. Ugh, and of course, some people at work have been real scrooges too!

Thanks for giving me a smile today!

The Book Group said...

Adoring the post! So fun to read about your adventures. Yes, it takes everyone to get the tree together here. Love this! All the best to a blissful December!

Samantha said...

First off, I love the illustrations you added to the first photo!! And what a delightful looking tree! I enjoyed reading the story play out regarding the "low wattage" situation, that turned out to be totally okay after all! The lights you bought are beautiful, and may I just say how awesome your ornaments are?!?! Cacti and french fries - now that's original! ❤️🍟🌡

Better Left Unsaid said...

Love that you are scheduled with the holidays! Loved this! I guess..as luck would have it..we didn't get slammed with snow. Although, we really do need the moisture.

Hope you are having a good week!