Saturday, December 24, 2022

Yule Log Hog: Merry Christmas Eve


Maybe someday I'll read a cozy mystery without having to tell the world about it.  But that day is not today.

That said, I recently enjoyed a trio of yule log-themed whodunits: Yule Log Murder by Leslie Meier, Death by Yule Log by Lee Hollis, and Logged On by Barbara Ross.  Each featured a less-sinister-than-usual murder or alleged murder (it is, after all, Christmas), as well as yule log recipes.  One log was peppermint, one was chocolate, and one was raspberry chocolate.  I ignored them all, instead indulging in this vanilla strawberry version that the husband just happened to bring home from the grocery store:  

He saw it while getting the essentials, thought, should I?, then doubled back because of course the answer to all confection-related quandaries is "yes." 

That's us in a (chest)nut shell.  We never met a sweet story or treat we didn't like.

Speaking of which, I hope your Christmas Eve is as delicious as your favorite dessert.  For us, it's the beginning of a week of holiday activities, so we're hunkering down at home (it's frigid out there!) to feast on seafood and cookies.  

It's what Leslie Meier would've wanted.

6 comments:

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Merry Christmas! Oh, it does sound delightful! We have already had our brunch which wasted most of the afternoon. Yes, there were some laughs and some major building of a Barbie Dollhouse. Saying this..it took two women and a child to supervise the whole ordeal. Oh, those yule logs! What a way to start the Christmas holiday! It was 0 yesterday..we are hoping it gets warmer today.

ellie said...

Oh, I'm ready to sleep this one in..me things. Far too many party foods my body is saying..that's too much for you! It was good to see everyone. We did have to wait a bit for one couple because she was baking my favorite cranberry pie. Since they are in a new place she hadn't baked anything yet..and isn't sure if she likes this oven. But she does love to make baked goods. And the pie was amazing!

Merry Christmas! Such a beautiful Yule Log! Sounds amazing!

Ivy's Closet said...

Merry Christmas! Oh, I have a feeling I know why they call them slutty brownies..later you feel like..I shouldn't have ate that. But it's a brownie that offers a lot to enjoy! Thanks for the wonderful post!

Samantha said...

What a cute cozy mystery read!! I just saw something on the internet about yule logs and am curious about them, as I've never tried it! That's cool that the books included recipes for them, too - although you got the best of it with the ready-to-eat yule log from the grocery store! It looks delicious. Enjoy your week full of holiday activities! (Seafood and cookies - yum!!!) Merry Christmas! 🎄✨

Abdel said...

Lovely post! Thanks for sharing :)
Merry Christmas, I wish you a happy holiday.

Abdel | Infinitely Posh.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I understand that Christmas was FREEZING this year! Did you go to your mom's or just have a cozy Christmas at home with your hubby. Regardless, your outfits are stunning, festive, and you look beautiful.