Friday, November 5, 2021

From Texas to LA to Phoenix: Never Judge a Book by its Lover


I'm unsure about the wisdom of promoting a pop princess post with an allusion to Aerosmith lyrics.  Then again, I never bought a Jessica Simpson album or watched MTV's Newlyweds either, so very little of what I'm about to say is vetted.  Still, of all the Y2K-era Top 40 songstresses, Jessica Simpson seemed like the most glamorous -- and the nicest.  Like if you saw her in an airport, she'd say hey instead of having her publicist give you resting bitch face while she slinked off behind her Gucci sunglasses.  Yet it wasn't until Simpson launched her fashion line that I became a genuine fan.  I'd see her clothes hanging in Macy's and think, respect.  Which is funny because the stuff I snagged comes from Boscov's, Marshalls, and ROSS.  Well, at least until last week when I ordered this top from Macy's:

  
Top: Jessica Simpson, Macy's

So, when I heard that Simpson had written a memoir called Open Book, I knew I would read it.  And I'm glad I did.  It's gotten many glowing reviews, but the one that speaks to me comes from Ronan Farrow: "I kind of feel like we all owe her an apology." You know.  For the Chicken of the Sea jokes and dumb blonde digs and other stereotypes that fame -- and we -- forced her to perpetuate.  I get that it's tempting to say that Simpson, like all celebrities, knew what she was getting into. 

But I'm not so sure.  

Open Book draws upon the journals that Simpson kept since she was fifteen, frequently addressing the reader and telling it like it is.  She takes us from her church-singing childhood in Texas to her failed Mickey Mouse Club audition with Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears to her struggles with anxiety and alcoholism after "making it."  Even as a kid, she wanted to fix her family's money problems.  (I once read an article about her having to keep the tags on her clothes because her parents couldn't afford them.  I always thought that was sad; little did I know it was the tip of the iceberg.)  That's a lot of pressure for a little girl, and I can't help but feel that her family -- especially her dad -- took advantage.  This cross, coupled with the sexual abuse Simpson silently endured for years (although not at the hands of her parents; let's not get it twisted) created the perfect storm to tornado through her adult life, leaving her to pick up the pieces. 

Shoes: Jessica Simpson, ROSS; Top: Jessica Simpson, Zulily 

Then there was her storied (but not storybook) marriage to Nick Lachey, which began when she was just twenty-two.  Nick was her first true love, but marriage showed her a new side of him -- and not in a good way.  He wanted a wife who remained in awe of him, who would stunt her own career to cook for him and let him shine.  Competition, jealousy, and plain old lack of common ground rounded out their mere three years and change as Mr. and Mrs.  Their split seems to be the result of what happens when a girl ties the knot before finding out who she is.  (And, okay, stars in a much-hyped reality show designed to pick apart a young marriage.)  That said, misogyny runs rampant through Open Book.  When Simpson was seventeen, her first record label insisted that she go from a healthy 118 pounds to an emaciated 103, planting the germ of the body image issues that would plague her for the next two decades.  And after her divorce, she fell prey to notoriously cruel playboy John Mayer and wolf in sheep's clothing Tony Romo.  Although she maintains that Tony's a good guy, he seemed like a slightly less chauvinistic Nick to me.   

Dress: Jessica Simpson, Marshalls

Anyway, Simpson relays it all with humor, grace, and candor, peeling away the layers of her public persona to show us who she is, flaws and all.  And the person she is seems so normal -- and vulnerable.  So when she reaches rock bottom and knows she needs help, we want her to rise up like the proverbial phoenix and shine.  When she does, she finally finds peace, making Open Book not a lurid Hollywood tell-all, but a brave account of growth and empowerment.  At the end of the book, Simpson writes:

"I knew that I would be ending this book tonight, and for a long time I feared this very moment.  There's a permanence to getting your thoughts down that can feel like a last testament.  . . . I worried that writing a book represented the end of something.  Now, I see my life is just beginning.  I have a better footing now for retracing the steps that got me here." (400)   

It's a heartfelt message for anyone, whether she (or he!) be a recording artist or a tone-deaf toll taker.

On that, ahem, note, here I am sporting a cruise-ship-meets-motorcycle ensemble featuring a Jessica Simpson top.  (Ptomaine-laden buffets being what they are, the bike is far less risky than the boat.)  It's the first (not to mention the most colorful) Jessica Simpson thing I bought, and as such is a much-treasured piece. 
         

Top: Jessica Simpson, Boscov's

Jacket: Candie's, Kohl's

Pants: True Freedom, Sears

Now I guess it's time to get on my bike and ride.  Even though I don't have a fat bottom (or a bike), and this isn't a post about Queen.

10 comments:

ellie said...

I had noticed her book at the library and I had seen somewhere (Microsoft News) where no way was Nick going to read this book. She does seem to come from a decade where parents were living off their children which I feel is more rampant than we even know. Thanks for the eye-openers. She definitely has an eye for color. I love the floral black jacket. I guess what is so interesting as to how many pop princesses have been taken by John Mayer. I guess I have only liked one of his albums and that was an earlier won. Thanks so much for the wonderful review.

It looks as if this might be our last weekend before the cold stuff gets here. So I should get out and enjoy the mild weather. Although, the wind is really taking down the leaves lately. Fall doesn't last that long, after all. And of course, we fall back this weekend. Although, I have had two people tell me already we are falling forward..that alliteration gets you every time. While some might think I am going down a rabbit hole or two in possibly too many stories happening and no where to go. Happy weekend! So glad Jessica inspired so many colorful outfits...=)

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Beautiful colors! & you wear it well. Yes, I always felt it would have been hard for Jessica Simpson from the get-go. Especially, being a preacher's daughter. Or having a dad who acts like a preacher but might not be one, after all. And then to be practically under the microscope in her first marriage would have taken a toll on me. But her fashion is iconic and I am glad it did make an impact on our generation. It's just sad what she had to live through. Thanks for your wonderful humor in that last paragraph!

And here we are plunging into November. It's terrible, go shopping and all I think about..I might not find this when I need to do real Christmas shopping. Probably best to just stay away.

Thanks for your comments about Deano and Caitlin. Of course, she might want to solve the mystery that everyone else is ready to let go. Of course, I have to get back to Pixie and Cyrus too...=)

Hope you have a wonderful weekend full of good reads.

Better Left Unsaid said...

Such a great review. I dunno I guess I was always a little indifferent to Jessica. Although, I thought she was hardworking and probably nowhere as dingy as the pop news would say. It always seemed we got Nick's side of having to put up with her parents and whatnot. Of course, we never know exactly what these people are going through and how much family expects from you and in her case, what the media expects too. Thanks so much for the post. I am glad she is moving on. I was reading recently about what different childhood stars are doing now. Many who have found careers that aren't Hollywood-related look the happiest.

Jessica does have a way of bringing a punch with her designs and color. Its good to see she is still evolving and for the better.

Cherry Blossoms said...

Wow, I dunno how you did it in that last outfit, but it really works! Love those kind of pants. Of course, I am sure my director would cringe. She is always in her black power suit. Thanks for taking me back to J & N's days. Usually, I would just laugh about it. But I felt as if they were like the prince and princess of pop. Although, I usually enjoy indie music the best. And I'm not really into the power of the voice like some I know. I just like a good song. And I liked her sister's music best..yet that was probably just one song. Saying this..oddly, I did get Swift's latest CD. Although, I don't care for her much, either..but I liked Cardigan and kept wishing..oh I hope it's somebody else singing this.

Thanks for the beautiful outfits and showing off Jessica's talents. Thanks for the review. It was good to hear about her life.

Thanks for your comments too.

Ivy's Closet said...

Thanks so much for the review. It's always amazing what women have had to put up with. It breaks my heart, at times. It is sad how those who manage a person's success turn it into a corporation and leads one into such sadness. It's amazing she survived. Thanks for the wonderful outfit. You really rock!

I enjoyed that last paragraph too! I will admit, I haven't ridden a bike in a very long while. Wishing you a wonderful November. Hope all is well where you are. Thank you so much for your comments and your wonderful blog!

Samantha said...

I always thought there was more to Jessica Simpson than the image we were all given of her in the early 2000's, and your review of the book proved it!! She's really adorable and I love the line of her clothing you presented throughout this post. (I also loved her line of dessert-scented/flavored lipglosses back in the day!!) Also, your ensemble of "cruise-ship-meets-motorcycle" is florally fantastic; the top looks like a painting! And that is the coolest jacket - an awesome mix of biker chic and sweet florals! 😀

Ivy's Closet said...

P.s...Thanks so much (Max & Amber). Actually, I started this from a dream I kept having about the neighbor I met only one time. I still have dreams about that house. Hopefully, it will be an interesting take. Somehow, I enjoy the freedom of visiting the face claims will my story.

Cherry Blossoms said...

Always love your reviews. They are so balanced and you bring out a certain humor that makes me smile. Thanks for the wonderful review.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Your title is so witty-love it. I am aware of her fashion line but had no idea that she published a book. Sounds like an honest "open book"about the challenges and struggles Jessica endured. I don't believe I've ever purchased any Jessica Simpson clothing, but I have bought her shoes- especially a pair of bright red heals that I enjoy when the occasion calls for them- and they are flashy patent leather look...Have a great week.

Jewel Divas Style said...

Was that the first edition from last year, or the update from this year?

As for that last outfit, damn, I thought it was a dress, that top and pants match perfectly, but I'll take the jacket, thanks.