Saturday, November 27, 2021

The Search is On: Finding Dory

When it comes to dark comedies, it doesn't get much darker than Search Party.  Because unlike this homemade hat from the husband's last birthday, it's no balloons and cake walk.  It's more creepy clown car.  The kind that kills people.  

Search Party first stepped out in 2016 on TBS.  Then in 2020, it moved on to the cool kids of HBO Max.  Which tracks.  Not just because HBO is hipper, but because it's a more fittingly dysfunctional home for a show about a self-destructive anti-hero.  In this case, that hero -- or rather, heroine -- is Dory Sief (Alia Shawkat), a twentysomething New Yorker stuck in the molasses of millennial malaise.  Half-heartedly working as a personal assistant for bored socialite Gail (Christine Taylor), she's going through the motions of life with her equally navel-gazing boyfriend Drew (John Reynolds) and best buds Portia (Meredith Hagner) and Elliot (John Early).  So when she finds out that their mutual college acquaintance Chantal Witherbottom (Clare McNulty) is missing, she makes it her mission to find her.  What begins as a diversion spirals into obsession, and as I watched, I couldn't help but (sort of snarkily) think: How far would you go for a friend (er, acquaintance)?  How well do you know your friends?  And, finally, that eternal head-scratcher: How well do you know yourself?

As Dory, Drew, Elliot, and Portia become more deeply entrenched in what began as the Chantal mystery, their friendship -- and sanity -- are tested.  Just when you think the plot can't get any more twisted, it contorts itself into a whole new pretzel.  

Search Party reveals secrets of the human heart and mind, taking us on a psychological roller coaster that's made marginally easier to ride because it's in a theme park swathed in style and satire.  Danger lurks around every corner -- but it's funny!  Mind control runs amuck -- but check out that faux fur capelet!  It's this tempering of very scary stuff that makes the show not only palatable but, to me, fascinating.  Because even as Search Party tongue-in-cheekily mocks youth and privilege, it shows just how much it means to be seen.

So, if you're looking for something weird to watch and don't mind hanging out in the shadows, then your search is over.  

Search Party returns to HBO Max in January for what promises to be a superbly strange final season.

10 comments:

ellie said...

I always love Alia's work. This feels it might have even more feeling to it since the Pandemic (although, I know it started in 2016), but I feel we have a different perspective now. Perhaps.

Such a great review. It feels it is that time of year where darkness and comedy go hand in hand, sometimes. Kind of like going out on Black Friday..which I didn't. I didn't even shop online. Believe me after so much housecleaning all I wanted was leftover pie and rest.

But it was good, even if the person who brought the veggie tray guarded it with her life. Someone brought Cranberry Apple Crumb pie and it was such a beautiful gift. One taste of it, was like tasting history..I know that sounds horrible, but it made me realize how much she loves history and very old recipes. The downside, the little ones was a party of two who had to eat on a plastic container because we ran out of chairs at the big table, but they didn't seem to mind sitting on pillows. Of course, he couldn't be entertained enough and up-set that he's not reading yet. He just started Kindergarten and she loved the Barbie bed and everyone roleplaying with the Barbies.

I hope you guys had a wonderful Thanksgiving and all is good for a sweet December rush of activities!

Still, I have to wonder if any of my writing makes any sense to some, but I will keep plotting along. Hopefully, it's not too sad to read. Happy December!

Cherry Blossoms said...

This sounds so familiar. I know I would have eaten this up a few years ago. It does sound intriguing...characters so absorbed and a mystery too! Love the review.

Hope your creativity is going strong! Thanks so much for your comments. I dunno if I can figure out a way to explain War's appearance..but I will go on with the story. Funny, I always wanted to name a character something strange like this.

Thanks so much. I so enjoyed this post!

Better Left Unsaid said...

I know I would enjoy the humor in this series. But I have a feeling I would be hiding under a pillow too. Sounds like one to have a bowl of popcorn with.

Very Cool review!

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, it's been a while since I heard of this one, but it does sound spectacular with such an interesting cast and plot. Definitely the darkest of comedies!

Thanks so much for reading and commenting.

Yes, there is a Six-Mile Light. Evidently, it was first noted at the abandoned one-room schoolhouse out on Praire Mountain road. When I was in high school we would go out there late at night with friends looking to see if it would happen. Naturally, no one was sure what it would look like. Actually, I did see it, but I was alone..driving home after a dance. Naturally, no one believed me. I must have been drunk. It was scary, but a unique ball of gas floating about made it ghostly. Thanks so much for the comments! If only there could be 12 more episodes of "Would You Like A Cup of Coffee". Sometimes, I enjoy so many things that are obsecure.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

I am sure this one is binge worthy! Cool cast! At the moment I have started the 'great crochet shopping bag.' Naturally, I'm not following the pattern exactly. Especially, since the yarn I had to have yesterday wasn't on sale. I had started the project for a friend who's birthday is coming up. But after looking at it a second time, I unraveled it and have a massive amount of yarn that isn't easy to wind in a ball..I know..you are wondering..what is your point. Well, this is what I was going to be doing while bingeing on a TV show. Maybe it'll happen yet. I did get another made while watching "Fly With Me" last night. A Chinese ice skating drama.

Meanwhile, Oh...it is fun mixing it up with different characters on my blog.

Thanks so much for your comments! All the best to your creativity. Of course, I have to make up hours today at work.

ellie said...

Thanks so much for your comments! I had been thinking of Poppy's dad for sometime now..I just wasn't sure when that would happen, but I kept listening to a co-worker talk about Charles..which so happens to be an old Jeep she drives. Really, she does trust that jeep.

Oh, it's always interesting to read comments, especially to see how they feel about certain characters. Especially Daniel..but then I later realized..there is Dan who is with Ivy. Hopefully, I'm not too confusing.

Hope you have some great last days of November. Thanks for all your inspiration!

Kinga K. said...

I will watch it❤

Samantha said...

What a neat concept for a show!! Sounds intriguing and like you mentioned, dark! Shows that make you stop and think are always fascinating to tune into. The homemade birthday hat is awesome; I love what you wrote here: "It's more creepy clown car. The kind that kills people." LOL!!! I can see the clown vibes you speak of. What a cool photo op of your necklaces and brooch as a backdrop!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Glad to have read your review because 100% this show is NOT for me.. I don't like weird nor disturbing. I'm sticking with light and funny such as Kim's Convenience and Young and hungry is more my style.

Jewel Divas Style said...

We haven't got that here. Nor HBO.