Sunday, November 14, 2021

From Head to Tow: An Unplanned Adventure

Sweatshirt: Macy's

Boots: Olivia Miller, Kohl's

Pink and True Blue Boho Necklace

Today the husband and I were all set to visit my sister, who had her third baby last week.  The outing called for an out-of-the-house outfit, and I went with my new celestial sweatshirt, old denim mini, and a necklace I made last night.  Oh, and also my beloved Betsey Johnson couch purse.  Or maybe I should say love seat, considering its heart-shaped pillows.  So attired, just before noon, I climbed into the husband's truck.  We took that instead of my Honda because we were stopping at a storage unit to pick up a shipment from the husband's wood monger.  Yet no sooner had we pulled into the lot than we heard the sickening hiss of a flat. 

A flurry of phone calls to AAA and Firestone later (sadly, our donut was toast), we went to the gate to wave in the tow truck.  An unmasked woman charged out of the storage unit office and profusely apologized for not having invited us in from the cold sooner, adding wouldn't we like to warm up now while the tow truck guy did his thing?  During the course of her monologue, she mentioned that she was sitting around doing nothing, waiting for Animal Control to come bag, of all things, a bat.  Oh, I thought, she's lonely; that's what this is.  Then, Go back inside, crazy bat lady.

I said thanks but no thanks, then turned heel and hopped in the tow truck.  The driver was also unmasked, which unnerved me, but the lack of a lethal critter made him seem like the safer option.  Little did I know I would question this a mile or two later when he started coughing.  As for the husband, he stayed behind to call an Uber (we both couldn't fit in the tow truck).  I spent the ride studiously staring out the window, clutching my couch purse and wishing that I'd never left the safety of my actual couch in the first place.

We met at Firestone, where we waited a couple of hours for them to replace the tire, then doubled back to pick up the wood.  We never did make it to my sister's.  Still, although this misadventure was annoying, expensive, and violated almost every personal COVID prevention protocol that I hold dear, it could've been a lot worse.  If the tire had blown out on the highway, then we might've gotten into an accident and been spattered all over the asphalt like an Olive Garden lasagna that flunked food inspection.  

That would've been awful.  

As would passing COVID or anything else on to any of you.  Which is why the Pink and True Blue Boho Necklace is now airing out in the craft room.

By the way, Pink and True Blue Boho is the name I settled on after rejecting Flat Out Fab, Road Rage Sage, and Wagon Wheel Teal.  

I had a lot of time to think in that Firestone.

11 comments:

Samantha said...

What a day you had!! That's too bad that you never made it to your sister's, but thankfully as you mentioned, the situation wasn't any worse than it was (your Olive Garden lasagna reference was the most colorful description!) I would've felt nervous being in a closed-in vehicle with someone who was coughing - yikes! All COVID scares aside, it certainly made for a great blog post and descriptive story. I love the variety of necklace names you came up with (maybe the smell of tires in Firestone sparked extra creativity) AND I love the tow tie-in you did with the blog title! Lastly, your outfit is ultra chic with the leopard print! The necklace is gorgeous, too - pink and blue are stunning together. :)

Lovely said...

You look lovely! Love your boots! Have a great day!
xoxo
Lovely
www.mynameislovely.com

The Exclusive Beauty Diary said...

These boots with animal print are such a statement. I like them so much.

ellie said...

Oh, and the smell of tires doesn't help much either. Gosh, what a ride. Yes, the worry is real. Our children's librarian is back from COVID today. I hope she stays home. She was vaccinated. I talked to her assistant this weekend. Who has the most endearing laugh...anyway, she talked of the librarian's cough and also talked about the time her wife was in the military (well, the assistant's wife)..so I'm being influenced everywhere to want to write.

I love the necklace. So pretty! I'm very glad you wore long sleeves on that ride.

Oh, it's been fun writing the storylines this November. Thanks for reading.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

That's quite a Sunday detour. Wow, that would have been frightening. I hope all goes smoothly this week. What a cool bag that is, too. Here's hoping your next big outing includes something good to eat or at least looking at the Christmas lights! I bet your hubby was worried about you. Hope that necklace is OK.

Yes, I finally have to get to Rico & Mario. Funny, how I have been thinking of Mona Lisa for a while. I had friends (who were sisters) The older one was Mona and the younger one was Lisa..I never thought about their names until recently.

Thanks again, for being here. And I feel for you in this wild adventure. Hope you stay well and your Thanksgiving is a wonderful one.

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, my..what a day it must have been. I think I would have wanted to stop that truck and gotten in the UBER..but that would have been just as scary I'm sure.

Such a wonderful Autumn outfit. So great to see the beautiful necklace too. Let's hope you have a marvelous week!

Thanks for reading the new Max and Amber story. I have been listening to Taylor's Swift ..almost recent album 'folklore'. Honestly, I am not a fan of hers..although, when I came across it at Walmart..I was thinking..oh 'evermore' which I wanted for just one song..naturally..so it did inspire me a bit with "max's" music..and how he can't really stand Swift..and it made me smile more when SNL had to endure her 10 minute song about Jake G. I know I'm terrible...but she is a little petty.(is that the word?). And there are a few peculiar songs on this one. I'd rather be listening to Sufjan Stevens Illinois. Oh, and I love his dysfunctional holiday playlist too.

Cherry Blossoms said...

Such a surprising adventure. I felt so bad for you and your husband during this whole ordeal. Oh, a flat tire is never fun. Lovely, necklace you are wearing. Such great accessories! Here's to your next Weekend endeavor! May the force or something be with you and may it be a fantastic time!

Thanks for your comment. Yes, it's interesting just what inspires me from time to time. Especially, when you run into a character that has too much power. Kind of like the ill-fated ABC show PREY.

Yes..let's be SISTERS❤. My grandmother always called her children Brother and Sister. Half the time when I was little she would call me Sis and I would look at her, thinking..doesn't she remember my name?

Hope your November gets better. I am sure it will.

Better Left Unsaid said...

Gosh, I forgot all about your super cool leopard boots. How amazing! Love these! Here's to a fantastic week with your crafting and more!

Thanks so much for your comments!

Kathy Leonia said...

you look so cheerful:D

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I was getting nervous just reading about your experience. I think I would have had to open my window completely (regardless of the cold weather- BTW - I'm in Florida for the winter) when the coughing started. Hope you are ok..Your outfit is wonderful especially the boots and the celestial top. What a day!!!

Jewel Divas Style said...

Well that sucks. But damn, animal print AND a couch purse.