Saturday, March 19, 2022

Last Call, Last Brawl: Shamrock Shock Rocks Tinker's Cove

It's another holiday weekend, and that means another Leslie Meier mystery, this time St. Patrick's Day Murder.  As always, don't be fooled by the cartoonish cover.  Because in Tinker's Cove, Maine, it isn't all gold and Guinness.  There's been another murder, and part-time Pennysaver reporter and sleuth Lucy Stone's got to get to the bottom of it.  The victim is an Irishman named Old Dan, and few are losing sleep over his passing.  As owner of the aptly named Bilge bar, Old Dan had lots of enemies, including pissed-off (not to mention pissed) patrons, disgruntled employees, and even a family of show folk fresh from the Emerald Isle.  Yet unpopular or not, Lucy intends to get to the bottom of Old Dan's death.  Especially because this was no ordinary homicide.  You've heard of the Headless Horseman.  Well, now meet the headless barkeep.  That's right.  Old Dan's body was discovered sans its noggin.  Irish lore starring evil fairies and black crows ups the creepiness factor.  But our intrepid Lucy keeps looking for answers and quick, before her own luck runs out. 

So whatever you do and whatever you read, make the most of this St. Patrick's Day weekend.  

Just don't -- ha ha -- lose your head.

6 comments:

ellie said...

Oh, it does sound like a page turner! Always great to get in those mysteries! I hope you've had a great weekend and enjoy the first day of spring too!

Thanks for your comments. Hopefully, Izzy's story won't get out of hand. Although, it was fun how she gets into others' lives too. Still, I don't think this is an element that many find themselves in much anymore. But still, there is that woeful friend that you just don't know what to do about. It might not be a decade or so later that you can look back and it's kind of funny the things people remember.

This was a thrifting weekend at Good Will and then some fruit and veg shopping too. Now I have to get this green nail polish off. Wishing you a great spring week!

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Wow, this one does get a little creepy. Such an interesting premise and how the Irish lore is incorporated.

Thanks for reading about the Alex saga. When I saw that Dolls Kills model with the orange hair immediately I knew that was the person Alex wanted to see in them mirror. Of course, I might be way off on the "subject" but I think of times how I have met this 'person' and how they carried themselves so flamboyant and 3 minutes later unsure if they could go on with this 'moment' without crumbling. I'm sure being a teen, you are full angst but then wanting to be sweet too. Of course, I remember the first time when I met that person when they were just in middle school and they were so genuine about what they liked and who they cared about. Somehow, I felt they were much wiser then..even if they were a boy who looked like a girl.

As for Liv and Rico, I feel Rico waits for Liv to take the lead when it comes to 'Alex'. But I see him as a good person, too.

Hollyn'Stevie said...

Oh, a green book for your shelf! How cool! I saw this on in our "green display" at the library. Such a favorite in mystery authors too. It does sound like the perfect St. Paddy's book!

Thanks for your comment. I hope I wasn't too steamy..yet they are two guys who want each other.... I had watched all these new 'very short' BL K-dramas recently and it was rather silly. The premise looked promising but in the end it just didn't GO THERE. Although, I'm not that happy about the premise of enemies turned lovers storyline no matter who is playing the part. I'm not sure if I could even watch THE HATING GAME.

Actually, I did start this story because of two friends from high school. I Recently found out one of them passed away years ago, but I didn't know. Although, back then they were the best of friends. But I knew even then how much one was so fond of the other, but the other seemed rather oblivious to this. It wasn't until they got out of high school that they got together. But the story is fiction.

Ivy's Closet said...

Thanks for this Sunday morning review! Oh, I'm glad to hear you are reading these mystery authors too. This one knows how to get a mystery done and always such interesting characters. Hope you have a delightful first day of spring. The birds were singing this morning when I got up. Looks like a very warm day ahead. Yeah! And of course, I found myself a sweater a GOOD WILL.

I'm glad I could finally put Cyrus to good use. I just couldn't help myself..hahahha...I do like doing these little side post at Ivy's Closet. Another way to use those 'sets"...=) and some again, like 'jory & dan'

Thanks so much for being here. Wishing you a beautiful spring!

Samantha said...

The cover is awesome, haha!!! And you're right about not being fooled by the cartoonish cover, because this seems like a creepy murder mystery indeed. Holiday themed books are always fun, and the Irish lore mention is really cool! I love the line you ended this post with, LOL!

bread&salt said...

Yes i agree with you, catoonish cover is really irrelevant to its subject.