Monday, March 14, 2022

MRI of the Tiger: When Life Hands You Lemons, Make Lemon Cream Doughnuts

"It looks like a big doughnut," said the woman on the phone, in an attempt to answer my question about the workings of a closed MRI.  I said okay, and she signed me up.  And that was the end of that until my appointment.

You may be thinking: Back up!  Why are you talking about something as serious as an MRI, and why did you need one?  Did you get beaned in the head by one of your many shoeboxes?  Alas, no.  But I did have some bloodwork done, and my levels for one of the things they tested turned out to be high.  So, to make sure that nothing was growing in my head, my doctor ordered an MRI.

The thing that hopefully wasn't growing in my head was, of course, a brain tumor.

Now, when I first got this news from the overly-chipper-receptionist-who-turned-out-to-be-a-nurse-practitioner, I freaked out.  So much so that I hung up on her.  "Brain tumor," after all, is a pair of words that no one expects to hear outside Grey's Anatomy.  But after doing some online research (okay, after my mom did some online research; I was way too much of a wuss to do it myself) and grilling my doc, I learned that brain tumors very rarely develop in situations like mine and that on the off chance that I did have one, the chances of it killing me were even slimmer.  So, the MRI was just a precaution.  To me, hearing that was as good as already having had the test and getting a clean bill of health.  Now all I had to do was get through the test.

Everyone always talks about the horribly claustrophobic nature of an MRI.  I didn't know if the fear of small spaces thing would sink its teeth into me, but I have so many other neuroses that I erred on the side of caution and requested an open MRI.  I ended up having to go with the closed one, though (see, ahem, the opening paragraph), because the open one wouldn't image what they needed to see.  Which made me nervous.  Although admittedly not as nervous as getting bloodwork always makes me.  Go figure.

On the appointed day, the husband drove me to the office.  He waited in the car while I marched into the building in my LC Lauren Conrad sweat suit and bright pink Uggs.  The place was packed, and I couldn't help but wonder what personal crisis had brought each of those people there.

I didn't have to wait too long.  When they took me back, the tech, who was an older, no-nonsense woman, reiterated the same questions I'd answered at home on my computer.  Here's how that went:

Me: On the form, I marked that I don't have psoriasis.  But I do have pretty bad dandruff.  I don't know if that's something you need to know?

Tech: (Disgustedly) It is not.  Inserts IV for the contrast dye, which I wasn't expecting. 

Me: But I didn't fast!

Tech: (Just as disgustedly) So?  I'm not taking blood.

Right.  Keep it together, I counseled myself.  The tech (I can only imagine gratefully) left me to wait for the next one, who turned out to be a guy around my age.  I followed him into "the room."  Our conversation went something like this:

Tech: Do you want music?

Me: Yes.

Tech: What kind?

Me: Pop, rock, alternative, whatever.

Tech: How old are you?

Me: Forty.

Tech: (Gives a knowing grin.)  Okay.

And so into the doughnut I went.  Sure, the ceiling or whatever was awfully close to my head.  But I could see out the front of the doughnut, which was reassuring.  I closed my eyes and settled in for my very own close quarters concert featuring this spot-on playlist:

"Comedown" - Bush

"No Rain" - Blind Melon

"Lightning Crashes" - Live

"Drive" - Incubus

"Mary Jane's Last Dance" - Tom Petty

"Lithium" - Nirvana

"Bullet with Butterfly Wings" - Smashing Pumpkins

That's right; I listened to "despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage," while trapped inside a medical apparatus designed to examine my head.  I love a healthcare professional with a sense of humor, don't you?  

Which is to say that the experience wasn't bad.  It was more of a creepy, coming-of-age retrospective interrupted by what sounded like fighter jets.  Once it was over, the techs (there were three of them by then) said that I did "very well" and was "remarkably still," and the old honor roll student in me soared.

But the real relief came two days later when I got the call that my scan was completely normal!  It was one of those moments where I felt incredibly lucky and thankful and never wanted to complain about anything ever again.

As long as I don't start reading minds like Zoey in Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist, then everything will be just peachy.

Or perhaps I should say doughnuty.    

8 comments:

Azka Kamil said...

like your post. thanks for sharing :)

Mica said...

I'm glad the MRI went well! I had to have one once and I can't remember what music I got to listen to just that some of the songs were very quiet and the machine was so loud! Not something I ever want to repeat!

Hope that your week is off to a good start! :)

Away From The Blue

ellie said...

Oh, what an adventure! And intense. I know..some of those nurses who are trying to make it fun just come off as 'are you kidding me' replies you can't keep to yourself. I am glad you were styling on that visit. Cool playlist. I'm glad you are OK.

Thanks for this post. Hope you two had a celebration.

P.S..oh, the things you pick up on when you read my stories..thanks so much..=)

Ivy's Closet said...

Oh, you really had me going there. I loved that last line too. I never got music. Now I can't even remember why I had to have one. But it was scary thinking I might get stuck in this machine. I kept telling myself..oh, I'm just going somewhere in a spaceship. It isn't easy to keep calm in a situation like that.

Glad you are doing OK and hope all is well. At the moment springing forward is giving me the blahs.

Caitlin'nMegan said...

Oh wow! That is quite the experience. I guess you won't think the same about doughnuts now. I am so glad you are doing OK. Thanks so much for sharing your experience too. MRI are not my favorite. And sometimes, just going into these things ..you feel so lost..and their explanation for things just worries you more.

Great post!

Hollyn'Stevie said...

It seems the doors are open now for all these extras we need from appointments these days. And that alone can throw you off. Like, why are so many people here? In most cases, I feel like a guinea pig in these scenarios, too. I guess some can go a little crazy during an MRI. Somebody was telling me they always had to take a muscle relaxer before having one.

And the time might be short, but I know feels like forever at times. Thanks so much for the post. I loved the playlist!

Samantha said...

I am so glad to hear that your MRI came out normal!!! And what I love in this post is how you managed to take such an intimidating situation full of the unknowns, and added your Tote Trove touch with the doughnut tie-ins. (Those doughnuts are making me crave some, haha!) I can only imagine how scary that must have been, finding out you needed an MRI. And the no-nonsense ambiance of the doctor's office would be very intimidating - your dialog in the post portrayed it very well. On a perky note, I'm so happy you had the opportunity to listen to an EPIC 90's playlist! What a way to lift your spirits during a stressful time. It's amazing how situations can make us gain perspective and make us "never want to complain about anything ever again." I'm so happy you are okay!!! :)

Jewel Divas Style said...

It's the same with Cat Scans, you just gotta close your eyes and lie back.