Thursday, March 10, 2022

McNear and Far, Just Drive the Car . . . of Your Imagination

I first became acquainted with Mary McNear years ago when my sister gave me one of her books for Christmas.  Although I'd never heard of the author, I dove right in.  And I found myself in idyllic Butternut Lake, Minnesota, one of those rustic small towns with one stoplight.  Now, the only thing I'd ever yearned to see in the Land of Ten Thousand Lakes was the Mall of America.  But McNear's heartfelt descriptions of this magical place inspired by her childhood summers made me want to pull up a chair at Pearl's coffee shop and then walk to (but not jump in!) the lake.  Better still, McNear's characters were complex and sympathetic, with rich emotional landscapes that rivalled Butternut Lake itself.  So, when I started reading McNear's latest, The Secrets We Carried, I settled in for a darn good yarn.  And got one.  

Journalist Quinn LaPointe hasn't been back to Butternut in ten years.  Not since her high school sweetheart Jake died in an accident that rocked the whole town.  But when she receives an anonymous note about a dedication for Jake, she packs her bags.  Going home again hurts even more than she anticipated, especially as she talks to the locals and learns more about what happened that night.  Her editor back in Chicago wants her to dig deep and write a personal essay.  Quinn isn't sure how she feels about that but begins journaling her memories.  Her entries are flashbacks full of all the bittersweet excitement and angst of being a teen, helping us -- and her -- work through the pain of her present.  Because more than truth seeking or romance, The Secrets We Carried is about personal growth and the transformative power of writing:

". . . she wanted to write, needed to write, must write in order to feel complete . . ." (11)    

So here's to you, Quinn, and Butternut too, the most beautiful place where the saddest things happen.  

Because somehow, despite your sorrow, you're still more therapeutic than a mega mall.

9 comments:

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Thank you! Your reviews are always thorough and interesting. You've turned me on to look into a new author for me!

ellie said...

I have heard of this one in passing, but never took to it. It does sound like it has a lot of story to it, from the lake and the people around it. Awesome last line. I just might have to check this out.

Hope you are having a good week. It's been cold with a little snow here. Thankfully, it is gone like a spring day.

Caitlin&Megan said...

Such a poignant review. I know the area is so beautiful. Perhaps even haunting. This looks like a keeper to share with a friend, too. Awesome review. Oh, those darn editors..always wanting you to make it personal. It looks like a cozy book and more. Possibly the perfect book to turn into a series of some kind.

Thanks so much for your insightful review. Hope you have a Happy Weekend!

Ivy's Closet said...

This one looks like a winner. Such a mystery too. I am sure it's a page-turner. Sounds like some great characters too. And of course, a coffee shop. I love those coffee shops. Especially, the fictional ones. I always find your reviews inspiring!

We do have a craft show coming up at the high school. I haven't been to one in so long. I am so tempted, but a part of me tells myself not to go. Not yet.

All the best to a delightful weekend. Thanks again for being here 💕❤️💕

Caitlin&Megan said...

Oh, thank you so much for your comments about Mona..a very complicated person around a complicated boyfriend. Of course, it could have a domino effect on other people too. I am trying my best to balance good things happening and some not-so-good things too. Although, Cyrus and Pixie are always fun to catch up with.

It is terrible when here I am discussing how much I hate cornbeef to find out everyone around me loves it. And then I mentioned cabbage rolls how I had only smelled them and didn't want to touch them. Oh, I got an earful about someone's grandmother's Italian recipe.

ellie said...

Oh, it is so deceivingly cold out there today. The sun is out, but oh so brisk winds..unfortunately.

Squeezing in a few Lily and Rafe moments is hard and add Mercer and Cade..hmmm... of course, there is more I want to get to and I even wrote today a Declan story..which is a ways off.

Let's hope I remember St. Paddy's day. Maybe. Hopefully. Maybe I'll just settle for green jello at this rate. I hope you have a fun weekend.

Hollyn'Stevie said...

More tomorrow with Stevie...

All the best to all your cozy reads and reviews. I look forward to them. You are so witty ❤️💕🌸

Samantha said...

This sounds like a heartfelt read!! I've always loved books that have journal entries included (whether real or fictional). It just adds so much human touch. And of course, "the bittersweet excitement and angst of being a teen" as you perfectly worded it, is also fun to read about! Writing definitely has the power to transform. Excellent review, as always. :)

Jewel Divas Style said...

Sounds interesting, but death and me don't do well when reading.