Sunday, March 6, 2022

The Cat's Me-Wow: Doll Face Head Space


Sneaking that princess figure into my last post made me want to show you more of my dolls.  And no, not the creepy, lace-covered, porcelain kind, although I've got those in my parents' attic.  Just the candy-colored, normal kind that every kid -- and forty-year-old -- has stashed in her playroom-slash-craft room.  

Having Barbie on the brain means prime time to gab about the Hulu original comedy Dollface, which recently debuted Season 2.  For the uninitiated, LA transplant Jules (Kat Dennings) is dumped by her long-term boyfriend, a clueless cad who patronizingly calls her, yes, doll face.  On her own for the first time in years, Jules decides to reconnect with her college besties Madison (Brenda Song) and Stella (Shay Mitchell).  But being a girls' girl instead of a boyfriend girl is more difficult than she anticipates.  As is her dubious gig as a web designer for a lifestyle brand run by you-know-what-on-wheels Celeste (Malin Akerman).  Surrounded by the Allisons at the office -- a trio of mean girl yes women who all go by the same name -- Jules retreats further into her self-effacing shell, her dry wit unappreciated.  That is, until one of the Allisons (Esther Povitsky) breaks away and admits that being in the in crowd isn't all it's cracked up to be.  Suddenly at the center of a hybrid friend group, Jules reevaluates her career and juggles new romantic prospects (Criminal Minds's Matthew Gray Gubler and Katy Keene's Luke Cook), making her feel alive again, far from the plastic doll of her past.  

What's more, she has her cat.  And no, I'm not referring to cozy couch cuddles where Jules pours out her soul to some tabby who'd rather lick itself.  Jules has dream sequences in which her cat morphs into a walking, talking advisor, dropping harsh truths in the voice of the secretary from The Mindy Project (Beth Grant).  This cat lady gone loco, coupled with a beachy, retro theme song and Jules's apathetic-rather-than-perky persona make Dollface more than just another show about a twentysomething trying to figure it out.  It's refreshing to see a heroine who's the antithesis of a go-getter in a world overstuffed with suck-up pick-me's.  Not that Jules doesn't have plenty to learn.  But she grows in her own way, to the beat of her own spirit animal, one well-timed wisecrack at a time.

That said, I look forward to Season 3.  Maybe its feline fever dreams will feature a glitter box of crap decisions.  Or, at the very least, a high stakes hairball brawl.  

10 comments:

ellie said...

Oh my..it does sound like one to watch for and you can't go wrong with Gubler (is that right?) for a love interest. Kat has always been a favorite in my book. It does sound like a very fun series for sure! I wasn't sure where this post was going..but I'm glad I read this review 💕

Thanks so much for your comments. I so appreciate them. March is a longer month and that means more can happen and sometimes double.

It was my library weekend and we had thunderstorms Saturday which meant the people poured in. Who knew! It was also LEGO club and that meant lots of children's books to check in. Thankfully, today was steady, but not too bad.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I have to admit that I had a doll named Lindy that I kept into my early 20's but when Lindy disappeared that was the end of my dolls. The series sounds interesting but I don't have. HULU .. I love your colorful collection and picture frames. I love color too but tend to be more conservative with whites, tans, and splashes of color in my home.

Caitlin&Megan said...

Oh, such a fun review. It does look like a show I would so enjoy! Love your photos too. Oh, some cuteness galore 💕 The show looks like an interesting premise too. Fantastic write-up!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ It snowed last night. It looks more than a spring snow. But we did need it. I hope you are having a wonderful March. Thanks so much for your comments. I do adore the fabrics you showcase and of course, I find them inspiring to use in my collages. Sometimes, I feel I am going in circles with Caitlin and Megan..although, I still want to push some more darker storylines too. All the best to your creativity.

Ivy's Closet said...

This made me very happy to see this review! Such a great cast too! " to the beat of her own spirit animal, one well-timed wisecrack at a time." That's our Kat! Oh, such fun!

I hope you are getting a lot of reads in this month. I have not. I have planned to, but it hasn't happened yet. Thanks so much for your comments. I am afraid I have plugged in more "interviews" than I should, but Oh well... maybe this week...will be more productive. All the best to your creative words to your creative projects. Thanks so much for your comments.

Hollyn'Stevie said...

I am so glad we still get to have shows like this. It feels the whole landscape of television is changing. Especially, primetime. Dennings does have great timing for comedy and always makes a great character actress too.

Thanks so much for reading the first installment. I hope to keep it up..with Saturday installments. Perhaps with a little Dolls Kills inspiration I can carry it through.

bread&salt said...

Dollface film series are so popular here but i havent watched before. But sounds good. Thanks for the review.

Lovely said...

Dollface sounds like a wonderful series. I will check it out.
xoxo
Lovely
www.mynameislovely.com

Kinga K. said...

Cute doll, so many memories ❤

Samantha said...

"...a glitter box of crap decisions"...LOL!!! Dollface sounds like a good watch! You always manage to find really fascinating shows and give great reviews, to boot! I also love this line: "What's more, she has her cat. And no, I'm not referring to cozy couch cuddles where Jules pours out her soul to some tabby who'd rather lick itself." LOL! The idea of the cat morphing into a talking advisor is fantastic and original. Lastly, I want to say how much I love your doll display!!! It's cute beyond words, and I love love love the two photobooth snapshots in the heart frames you have in the second photo! :)

Jewel Divas Style said...

Sounds like an interesting show. But like all the others, one we don't get here.