Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Charmer in the Dell: The Cheese Stands Alone (But Not Always)

I never wanted to try fried cheese curds until I read Amy E. Reichert's novel The Kindred Spirits Supper Club.  I was so intrigued by them that this post's working title was Word to the Curd: Make Whey for More Cheese.  Indeed, The Kindred Spirits Supper Club is set in the Wisconsin Dells and as such celebrates all the decadent eats that America's Dairyland has to offer.  But this culinary rom com isn't all cheddar and spiked ice cream.  It's also about something deeper. 

Home for the first time in a long time, journalist Sabrina Monroe is struggling.  Unemployed and in debt, she's forced to move in with her parents and take a job with her high school bully.  Anyone would find this situation trying, but for Sabrina, it's an emotional minefield.  That's because she suffers from social anxiety.  Talking to people is so fraught with stress that she goes out of her way to avoid it.  Her only friend is Molly, a glamorous ghost who used to work in a candy-shop-slash-speakeasy.  

"Um, what?," you may be thinking.  "This chick can't make small talk in a grocery store but clicks with someone last alive when Pink Squirrels were illegal?"  Yep.  But Molly is an innocuous spirit, like the ones on that delightful CBS sitcom Ghosts.  In fact, she's much nicer and more accepting than the people on Earth, and that's more than enough for Sabrina.  That's precisely why she evades the attentions of handsome supper club owner Ray Jasper (and no, that's not just me being cute; apparently, supper clubs are a thing).  When Sabrina and Ray meet in the crossfire of a waterpark food fight, Ray is instantly smitten.  Sabrina feels it too but can't risk getting close to Ray.  Even if he is patient and kind and makes the best fried cheese curds in the greater Great Lakes area.

To me, the most interesting thing about this story isn't the romance or even the ghosts.  It's how Sabrina handles her unique challenges.  So many books are about women trying to balance work and family, or about singles surrounded by girl squads, hitting up parties and juggling suitors.  It was refreshing to read about someone so different, far removed from both of those worlds.  And so it's in that, ahem, spirit, that I share this admittedly spoiler-esque quote: 

"She no longer tracked how long it had been since she'd last spoken to someone, not because she'd found a hidden extrovert inside herself but because it no longer mattered.  She was who she was, and the right people loved her for it." (329)   

I couldn't have said it better myself.  So instead I'll say it with cheese:

I made this Fabulous Felt Cheese Please Barrette many years ago.  

But as every dell dweller -- and introvert -- knows, cheese only gets better with age.

Also, patience and pasteurization.  

9 comments:

ellie said...

hahaha..always a great last line! Such a great quote from the book too. I have been eyeing this, but I haven't read it yet. Thanks so much for the wonderful review. Oh, and I love that cheese btw❤️

Thanks so much for your comments..and of course, thanks for inspiring those 'sets' too! It feels the weather has gone from a November chill to suddenly summer and guess what..our AC broke..so it's the worst week ever! & I work this weekend. I hope your May is cooler.

Caitlin&Megan said...

This does look like a good one. I haven't read this author, but I hope to. Good to see there are more than just food fights in this one. Thanks so much for the wonderful review. I do love your thoughts on these modern romances. Great to know about this novel.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I have to admit I do enjoy writing about Cyrus and Pixie.

Ivy's Closet said...

I have seen this bookcover. And I think I'm on HOLD for this one at the library. Great that you reviewed it. I so enjoyed reading your take on this novel. Sounds like some fun characters. >>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<< Thanks so much for the comments. I have been trying to read more mysteries this month. Our Adult reading program ends Saturday, but June is the beginning of the Children's Reading program and they definitely keeps us hopping. Meanwhile, I have found a very quirky Japanese mystery drama to watch.

Hollyn'Stevie said...

Love the title of the post! Oh, so cheezy...=)

I have never heard of a Supper Club. Very unique characters indeed. Love your clever review..and the Cheese Barrette too! You do pick some very fun books. And I thank you so much for that!

Samantha said...

This book sounds fantastic!!! The plot is so cool; I'm fascinated by this glamorous ghost and the time period she's from! I like the theme of handling unique challenges and that it's different from common book themes out there, too. Also, I had no idea supper clubs were a thing! Your photo of the cheese is absolutely adorable and I love the cheese theme of this post. :)

Anonymous said...

Great post

Kinga K. said...

Cute bookcover, I have to read it ♥

Hollyn'Stevie said...

Oh, what a week it's been. We have had nineties, and thunderstorms..and AC on the bad. It has cooled off some. Which is better, but now my comments aren't showing up on blog spot..Oh the woes of the Internet.

Hope you are having a good week and you still have some Babybel around to snack on. Of course, I bought myself more after seeing your post ❤️❤️❤️

The Book Group said...

I hope to read this author soon. I still have One Night on the Island to get to. This looks cheesy! but in a good way.